The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (2 Viewers)

Nate Champion

Low are a real law of diminishing returns band for me...a band like Bedhead's music has aged a lot better. [I guess they're in the same slow, reflective vein].

Without Mimi Parker, there may be no real attraction. Her voice is incredible.

At a certain point, I stopped checking out their new stuff... give that new one the twice over as it was in the thumped album club - kind of had no strong thoughts on it either way.

Fond memories of their show in the Ambassador on the Trust tour though. Interestingly my Scottish friend said they were heckled in Glasgow on the same tour with lovely Zak Sally being pelted with jelly beans by aggrieved Glaswegians asking him to stop telling fucking jokes and to just play the music.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Low are a real law of diminishing returns band for me...a band like Bedhead's music has aged a lot better. [I guess they're in the same slow, reflective vein].

At a certain point, I stopped checking out their new stuff... give that new one the twice over as it was in the thumped album club - kind of had no strong thoughts on it either way.

Fond memories of their show in the Ambassador on the Trust tour though. Interestingly my Scottish friend said they were heckled in Glasgow on the same tour with lovely Zak Sally being pelted with jelly beans by aggrieved Glaswegians asking him to stop telling fucking jokes and to just play the music.
Mean Glaswegians.

While Low would lose a lot without Mimi, Alan is a great frontman. I couldn’t choose between the two of them, so many of their songs where he sings are devastating and I’m not sure Mimi would suit them.

I’ve never actually listened to Bedhead, must line some up for today. Do they have a Christmas record?

Richie

For me they're one of the rare examples of a band I lost interest in (starting with The Great Destroyer in 2005 which I only liked about 40%, and reaching a nadir with C'Mon and The Invisible Way, which I found bland though they have some nice tracks), but really got back into - I think their last 3 albums are all among their best stuff, especially Double Negative.

Last edited:

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
Mean Glaswegians.

While Low would lose a lot without Mimi, Alan is a great frontman. I couldn’t choose between the two of them, so many of their songs where he sings are devastating and I’m not sure Mimi would suit them.

Retribution Gospel Choir were/are essentially Low without Mimi I think. Or at least when they played here before in Crawdaddy the band was Alan, whichever bass player was also playing in Low at the time, and some drummer.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
I have the first RGC album and I didn’t love it, struck me as but more generic rock than Low. That said, I bought a RGC 7” at the gig on Tuesday so will have a new opinion soon.

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Retribution Gospel Choir were/are essentially Low without Mimi I think. Or at least when they played here before in Crawdaddy the band was Alan, whichever bass player was also playing in Low at the time, and some drummer.
they played here twice. I was at that Crawdaddy gig but they also supported someone in Whelans. I can't remember who that might have been.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
I listened to a box set of all the Bedhead albums and, while I liked them, it’s all very samey in comparison to Low. The songs all sound like the slow, sad Pavement songs to me. Except for the ones that sound like faster versions of the slow, sad Pavement songs. I’ll come back to them again in a while but Low are leagues ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

Big Brave (Southern Lord) + Percolator
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Lori Goldston - Droichead Arts Centre
Droichead Arts Centre
Stockwell Ln, Downtown Drogheda, Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland
Pixies
Iveagh Gardens
Stable Ln, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
La Luz
The Grand Social
35 Liffey St. Lower, North City, Dublin, D01 C3N0, Ireland
Arab Strap
Whelans
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland
Arab Strap
Whelan;s
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads