The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (2 Viewers)

On Creation and more importantly on the wikipedia Britpop list.

EDit. Looking at that list Cornershop deserve a mention for being class. I love Ash too but they're not really Brits.
That's a strange list. I wouldn't put SFA in there... I don't remember ever seeing a gang of lager louts in football jerseys aggressively shouting the words to an SFA song. That is the measure of what is or isn't Britpop I reckon.

Also, Divine Comedy? And where exactly are Radiohead in all this? They were "just" a guitar band until about '97.

On Creation and more importantly on the wikipedia Britpop list.

EDit. Looking at that list Cornershop deserve a mention for being class. I love Ash too but they're not really Brits.

Cornershop played the Duke of York in Belfast early on to a handful of people. They were so fucking good. Loud as fuck and super noisey. Like sonic youth at their wildest. Never saw any other evidence of them sounding like it

Cornershop played the Duke of York in Belfast early on to a handful of people. They were so fucking good. Loud as fuck and super noisey. Like sonic youth at their wildest. Never saw any other evidence of them sounding like it
They played Fibber Magees and it was the worst, sloppiest shambles of a gig I've ever seen, apart from ones I played

That's a strange list. I wouldn't put SFA in there... I don't remember ever seeing a gang of lager louts in football jerseys aggressively shouting the words to an SFA song. That is the measure of what is or isn't Britpop I reckon.

Also, Divine Comedy? And where exactly are Radiohead in all this? They were "just" a guitar band until about '97.

You're welcome to debate this with wikipedia but I'm pretty sure it's been discussed to death in the previous 85 pages of this thread.

Been in and out of this cornershop album a lot the past few months. 911 curry might be a good 'in'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They played Fibber Magees and it was the worst, sloppiest shambles of a gig I've ever seen, apart from ones I played

I remember Ben Ayres' hairclip

"But rewind five years and join us at a rowdy gig in a northside Dublin bar called Fibber McGees. The band on stage are Cornershop but bear little resemblance to the Brimful Of Asha merchants. Instead, the ensemble on stage are showcasing discordant guitars, rough and ready rhythms and songs like England's Dreaming which combine seething politicised bile with a questionable grasp on timing and technique. The gig ends with a stage-invader trashing the drum-kit. The band join in."

You're welcome to debate this with wikipedia but I'm pretty sure it's been discussed to death in the previous 85 pages of this thread.

You chill, etc.

Not having a go at you, you're not wikipedia afaik. it's just an odd list is all. Half those bands I don't remember ever hearing anyway. I suppose I was getting at the idea that I disliked that whole Britpop era. The crap journalism, the laddism, the swagger, the copying of stuff that was already done. The Top Gear-ness of it all.

So it's odd when I see bands I don't think fit the Brit-pop mould getting thrown in there. And also that there's lots of stuff that I've never heard which might be good.

I guess it's better than the techno and Gareth Brookes that was de rigeur where I grew up, but I just couldn't relate.

That's my little rant. Thanks.

You chill, etc.

Not having a go at you, you're not wikipedia afaik. it's just an odd list is all. Half those bands I don't remember ever hearing anyway. I suppose I was getting at the idea that I disliked that whole Britpop era. The crap journalism, the laddism, the swagger, the copying of stuff that was already done. The Top Gear-ness of it all.

So it's odd when I see bands I don't think fit the Brit-pop mould getting thrown in there. And also that there's lots of stuff that I've never heard which might be good.

I guess it's better than the techno and Gareth Brookes that was de rigeur where I grew up, but I just couldn't relate.

That's my little rant. Thanks.

I'm totally chill but I think you're retroactively projecting your memory of the time rather than what was/is accepted as Britpop. This is from 2013 but it's pretty close to the wiki list and has two SFA songs. If anyone knows what Britpop is it's the NME readership. :ROFLMAO:

paging @Lili Marlene to adjudicate/educate/scold on all things britpop
wasn't Britpop meant to be London's response to Madchester?

then the lines got a bit blurred (sic) along the way cos there are bands from other places too.

In saying that, I never considered Oasis as being part of the Madchester scene, despite them being from Manchester. Probably a timing/Hacienda thing.

I'm totally chill but I think you're retroactively projecting your memory of the time rather than what was/is accepted as Britpop. This is from 2013 but it's pretty close to the wiki list and has two SFA songs. If anyone knows what Britpop is it's the NME readership. :ROFLMAO:

NO YOU CHILL!!!

I'm messing.

Yeah, for sure I don't have fond memories of that time at all. Kappa jackets. My Dublin mates walking around like little Liam Gallaghers. But hey the Charlatans were alright and have held up over the years.

I remember a mate breaking down Oasis songs to me on guitar and expounding on how great it was. Then I'd take the guitar and do metal power chords. He'd go "no! come on, that's barely music, that's just duh duh duh duh"
"Yeah, exactly, it's awesome. And actually I'm palm muting and you don't even know what that is with your awful sounding Noel Gallagher open chords".
"No, let me illustrate by playing this other Oasis song."
And then he'd play G to Cadd9 to D.......AGAIN.

NO YOU CHILL!!!

I'm messing.

Yeah, for sure I don't have fond memories of that time at all. Kappa jackets. My Dublin mates walking around like little Liam Gallaghers. But hey the Charlatans were alright and have held up over the years.

I remember a mate breaking down Oasis songs to me on guitar and expounding on how great it was. Then I'd take the guitar and do metal power chords. He'd go "no! come on, that's barely music, that's just duh duh duh duh"
"Yeah, exactly, it's awesome. And actually I'm palm muting and you don't even know what that is with your awful sounding Noel Gallagher open chords".
"No, let me illustrate by playing this other Oasis song."
And then he'd play G to Cadd9 to D.......AGAIN.

AC/DC are still the kings of those type chord progressions. fuck Oasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back