The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (2 Viewers)

I've listened to The Dreaming (1982) and Hounds Of Love (1985) albums plus watched a few of Kate Bush's videos and some live stuff since I brought her name up a few days ago.

she is obviously very multitalented and the audacity it takes to follow her own vision is admirable but talk about being self indulgent.

The Dreaming's only track that really appealed to me was the final song 'Get Out Of My House' which sounded a little like PIL's Flower Of Romance LP.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if anyone wants to explain why the title track has any merit whatsoever the floor is yours 'cause I think this is really awful

also read please read this:

a big feature of both LP's is the new digital tech which I blame for the decline from the early 80's being loaded with vividly brilliant pop tunes to blandness of the mid 80's.
the DX7 (came out in 83) and Fairlight etc have a tendency to be very easy to spot on recordings once you knew what they are.
the other day I listened to some K.H. Stockhausen synth stuff played by his son Simon and it had that dated feeling.

Hounds Of Love (1985) has some interesting moments (well bits more like) but almost nothing really stood out that I would go back to. I thought this was a good though -
Waking The Witch

there were elements of Hounds Of Love and maybe Big Sky that I liked but not as complete songs.
that's the nice part of my post over.

both LP's had songs with trad Irish parts that the musicians involved should have known better than to get involved in - Riverdance might be interested.
Bush's piano led tracks are tragically a major precursor of the style of mellow cover versions you hear on adverts all the time.
after watching her videos and bits of the '78 Hammersmith concert my main thoughts were how much I dislike mime and her outfits and that the videos alone were enough to put me off the music.
for whatever reason K.B. always came across like a 1980's Mammy IMO and I can't get past that.

this came out in 1993 and I remember the music press reviewing this single and being scared to say anything bad about it.
the song and video were so dated (especially w/ the sessioners in her band). I remember thinking ''I wouldn't like to meet her in a dark alley''.
Rubberband Girl:

surely Kate B. is satirising herself here?

and this is a sanitised version of what I could have written

Great bass line on that Runbberband Girl by John Giblin the samebass player thats on Scott Walkers Tilt and In The Air Tonight by Phil C. ..amongst many others.

Sylvian can be really good (those aforementioned albums with Czukay are terrific) but yeah some of his work definitely has that “middle aged Londoner who works in finances showing his dinner party how sophisticated he is” vibe. Japan were deadly. The album he recorded with Not King Crimson was embarrassing for all involved.

Great bass line on that Runbberband Girl by John Giblin the samebass player thats on Scott Walkers Tilt and In The Air Tonight by Phil C. ..amongst many others.
Now that I did not know. I just assumed it was Del Palmer. I love his fretless bass playing on the earlier stuff, and I love how into bass Kate Bush is.

Sylvian can be really good (those aforementioned albums with Czukay are terrific) but yeah some of his work definitely has that “middle aged Londoner who works in finances showing his dinner party how sophisticated he is” vibe. Japan were deadly. The album he recorded with Not King Crimson was embarrassing for all involved.
Good to know, I've barely listened to anything Sylvian has done after 1990. I have that singles compilation and that's it. Blemish is supposed to be good I know, but then so is that Not King Crimson album so...

You and I may not agree about everything in music but I'd take your word on this one.

Beg to differ on the Sylvian / Fripp album ... I was hugely disappointed at the time but it came to mean a lot to me.
Those first couple of Sylvian records are still exemplary high-wire acts of marrying experiment with incredible craft .. as with Eno, Gabriel, Walker, Bush et al in the same period

Emolga2225

1 year ago
You have to remember,this is pre-grunge, Les is maybe 26, they had no albums, and we didn't start the fire was at the top of the charts. There are at most 25 people watching them. The odds of this tape existing are closer to 0% than 1%. Primus was extremely ahead of their time, simply because they made the music that they liked.

Anthony B

2 years ago
This was filmed the same day the Simpsons premiered on TV. Crazy

i laughed

"I'd like you to meet Larry LaLonde, from Possessed"

i laughed

"I'd like you to meet Larry LaLonde, from Possessed"

...and Corrupted Morals

First time I remember hearing Possessed - seven churches was on a metal show on tallaght community radio. Must have been 1989.

As a bass playing South park fan and Metallica fan, I feel obliged to like them. Some of it is great, but eventually I just feel like "Am I out of my depth here or is this actually not that good?". They are good, but it's too much. But I feel like that's blasphemy to say.

Adele has no good songs. None. Zero. Not even Rolling in the Deep, which is just an expensive facsimile of other good songs.
I've heard 3 songs by her. One is dreadful (the famous one). One is the James Bond one which is not terrible and the other one is a kind of dancy soulful one which isn't terrible but also isn't great.

Everyone I know in real life named Adele is sound though, so there is that.

I thought indie fans might have a soft spot for this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back