Tesco at it again? (1 Viewer)

broken arm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0215/1224264468799.html

Irish suppliers claim Tesco seeks up to €500,000 to stock goods

TESCO HAS been demanding millions of euro from Irish suppliers over the past two months in return for the continued stocking of their products on the supermarket’s shelves.

The country’s biggest retailer has been telling individual suppliers they must pay sums of up to €500,000 in order to have a presence in its 119 stores around the country, The Irish Times has learned.

Suppliers have complained of demands made by other large retailers but say those made by Tesco are much bigger in scale and breadth. Three suppliers have told The Irish Times they were asked to pay substantial six-figure sums to have their products relisted on Tesco’s shelves, or to keep them there.

Asked about the payments, Tesco said last night that “normal negotiations are under way with a range of suppliers”

am really getting pissed off with tesco. the range of products is laughably poor in my nearest one - phibsboro - and it's a grim place to shop, and the staff are, in the majority, fucking rude.

ah phibsbra tesco. it's like the eighties in belarus in there. though i tend to think that's more to do with phib than tesco's.
my local has 100 cunts restacking shelves, 1 person on checkout.

The one in Kilbarrack is even worse. The bread and dairy products are always out of date. My Mam said it to the manager once and he just shrugged.

This is a company that made €250m profits out of their Irish operations in 2009.

I don't shop in Tesco if I can help it. They are clearly a very stupid company.

They built a huge store (the largest Tesco I've ever been in) in the rural town near my parents (population of maybe 5,000). It is open 24 hours, and usually empty. Every day at 5pm they go around discount ticketing stuff that's getting near the sell-by date, whole displays of stuff. That is the only time that the store is busy.

It's like some kind of charity arragement.

Dont get me started on these cunts.

The one in Fingas is however staffed by very nice people.

I don't shop in Tesco if I can help it. They are clearly a very stupid company.

They built a huge store (the largest Tesco I've ever been in) in the rural town near my parents (population of maybe 5,000). It is open 24 hours, and usually empty. Every day at 5pm they go around discount ticketing stuff that's getting near the sell-by date, whole displays of stuff. That is the only time that the store is busy.

It's like some kind of charity arragement.

i dint know you were from letterkenny.

There was a report on them a while ago and it said Tesco tells companies to do special offers like 3 for 2 and they have to take the loss, if they don't they'll go with other ones.That's on top of the money they want to stock them in the first place.
Just seems a bit cunty.

Isn't the non-'they're cunts' part of the issue that smtg like 90% of the nationwide retail sector is in the hands of a couple of companies like these cunts?? Heard that on the radio.

They instructed some company last year to invest heavily in enlarging their operation if they wanted to stay on as a serious supplier.....then when the company had it done Tesco just switched supplier and now those guys are up shits creek with massive restructuring repayments and no handler. Also heard on radio.

Also Drumcondra Tesco don't do my Quorn veggie options anymore, which is mad coz the place is crawling w students every 5pm...their staff seem insane....in a mad way.

the UK is launching a Supermarket Ombudsman such are the problems with the Big 4 supermarkets shitting over suppliers, local retailers etc

it is a political tight rope because they (Tesco etc) have so much power and political "control".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back