Television - Marquee Moon (1977) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 3
Putting it on now. BIt late I know but I'VE BEEN BUSY.

First minute is great. Definitely doesn't sound modern though. I mean, it has guitars that sound like guitars!

Halfway through the album and it's pretty much 10/10 for me so far. I really like his singing! Looking forward to the dreaded second half.

Tell you what, it's great when you barely know classics that everyone else is too jaded to admit enjoying. I was too busy off listening to Whammy! by the B-52's or something (great album btw) when I should have been listening to this.

Right that was great, second half was fantastic. It felt the perfect length for an album as well, I think i was just starting to get a bit bored at the very end but that's cool, it kept my attention all the way up to that. My only complaint would be that the verses to Elevation now sound a bit too 90's commercial 'alt' rock, but that's hardly the fault of Television.

There is a strange mixture of fairly straight forward songwriting with some very odd guitarring coming in now and then throughout. To say it's normal or orthodox sounding, particularly in 2016 when all radio music has about 14 writers, each constantly punching up aspects of every song in an attempt to polish them further, would be unfair. They're clearly following their muse and not trying to write commercial pop hits.

I definitely hear an invested emotional element in the songwriting though, compared to the more stand-offish conceptual artiness of, say, Wire (cos they were mentioned earlier) but i'm ok with that, in fact I prefer it. It's probably a bit of a balancing act and people who want bands to push the boat out in one direction or other would probably prefer if they either went off on a mad prog journey, or just stood there with their acoustic guitar, man-emoting. I'm glad they didn't and, crucially, I hear no compromise or pandering to an audience in the music here. Great stuff.

I'll probably actually listen to this for a bit now, like I should have when I was 14 and Q or whoever told me to.

9.5/10

Last edited:
I don't think side B is a strong as side A.

Elevation is great.
Guiding light is really good, sounds like the softer side of the velvet underground.
Prove it is the weakest track on the album. similar chord progression to stand by me.
Torn curtain is also good.

Side A is pretty much perfect.
I don't really like that chromatic into lick to friction, but that's splitting hairs.

Have to say Billy Ficca is really underrated as a drummer.

I used to listen to this album a lot and remember going to see them in Vicar Street when they played about 20 years ago. But I'll be honest, I'm really struggling to remember a lot of this album now.

HAPPY FRIDAY

Taking a break from moaning about the USA to listen to some great music from the USA. Gonna put on New York Dolls after in tribute to Sylvian Sylvian.

Here, have all Pono re-releases been remastered? I downloaded the pono version of Marquee Moon last night and it sounds way better than it ever did on cd. I was in the "like it, don't love it" camp until last night but my judgement could have been clouded by the wine.

The vinyls are on sale in tower

I bought one of the vinyls a year or two ago and it sounds shit, unlistenable, I'll never listen to it again. Too late I consulted with the Steve Hoffman gang about this pressing and found that feelings there are very mixed. Some of them like the shrill, harsh quality and think it suits the style. I'm going to seek out the pono remaster again tomorrow and see if it's as silky and rich as I thought in 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back