Talking about Planxty Planxty (1 Viewer)

nlgbbbblth

Frozen in time since 12:34am on January 1 1982
Website
www.nlgbbbblth.wordpress.com
spectraljanitor said:
as for irish trad/folk i'm a newbie - navigating thri the stuff that sounds good - the family tree of planxty stuff is where I'm startin and i'll see where it takes me. its a fun voyage tho...! (any recommendations?)
anyone thinking of buying the first Planxty album on CD - with the black cover - don't.

it sounds like it was mastered from a skipping vinyl version. Pops, clicks and generally shitty sound. How some shops have the nerve to keep selling it I don't know. The CD itself is silver - the other Shanachie releases, Cold Blow, Woman I Loved, The Collection are yellow and sound better

I believe a better version of this exists - possible a yellow CD. Anyone know/have it?

nlgbbbblth said:
anyone thinking of buying the first Planxty album on CD - with the black cover - don't.

it sounds like it was mastered from a skipping vinyl version. Pops, clicks and generally shitty sound. How some shops have the nerve to keep selling it I don't know. The CD itself is silver - the other Shanachie releases, Cold Blow, Woman I Loved, The Collection are yellow and sound better
the shanachie re-issues are all shoddy...did ya see the no disco documentary when christy looses the plot? phil coulter is a prick.

i got the first plankstee for a euro in a second hand rekkid shop in galway and it sounds great.
on the look our for 'cold blow...' now..

spectraljanitor said:
the shanachie re-issues are all shoddy...did ya see the no disco documentary when christy looses the plot? phil coulter is a prick.

i got the first plankstee for a euro in a second hand rekkid shop in galway and it sounds great.
on the look our for 'cold blow...' now..
I saw the documentary a couple of times and am well aware of that. That first one is particularly shoddy. However there is no alternative CD versions

yeah- got first one on elpee a while back and it sounds far grand. Not easy find the vinyl in excellent nick though

One europe is fine jums.
They tend to try to get 10 to 20 for scritchy copies in Dubbalin shops.
Boo!

cold blow and the rainy night is so so good. holy shit what a record. their production techniques and muscianship are top on that one. for the best hands down irish traditional record ever pick up the paul brady and andy irvine record they made together, you can get it in the tower upstairs in easons.. seriously i can hardly believe music that good

Planxty compile new retrospective - Hot Press

Wonder what the story with this is? I just assumed they couldn't release any studio recordings because they didn't own the rights or something. The dvd content looks great even though I'm sure most or all of it is on YouTube.

After The Break and The Woman I Loved So Well have been remastered and are on streaming services now (as well as on cd). Good luck trying to find any info on the remastering process though and it just appears to be cd and streaming released by Tara Music. A new off-shoot of the old Tara with the rights to some/all of the recordings maybe. Who knows?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back