Talk talk..spirit of eden. (1 Viewer)

Latex lizzie

Dunno too much about these guys. Bought this the other day and was blown away. The guitar at the start of the first tune sent chills down my spine..haven't had that experience with an album in a while..

any other hidden jems of theirs that I should own? how does this rate compared to the rest of their stuff? all I knew before was that "lifes what you make it" song ..with the insects and ting?

ta.

Latex lizzie said:
Dunno too much about these guys. Bought this the other day and was blown away. The guitar at the start of the first tune sent chills down my spine..haven't had that experience with an album in a while..

any other hidden jems of theirs that I should own? how does this rate compared to the rest of their stuff? all I knew before was that "lifes what you make it" song ..with the insects and ting?

ta.

I think this is their best
also recommend Laughing Stock
The Colour of Spring (3rd LP) hints of the new direction/greatness
There are a number of compilations if you want an overview of earlier albums, The Collection being the best in my opinion

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=18409&highlight=laughing

laughing stock is their best if you ask me and you kind of did.though it's a bit slower/darker than spirit of eden so be warned.also they were dropped from their record label for refusing to tour 'spirit of eden' and also for taking their record company to court for trying to edit the song 'i believe in you' for a single. hence 'laughing stock' has poor distribution and you may have to pay import prices.or you could just steal it off the net.

I bought 'Laughing Stock' in Tower on Wicklow St a few weeks ago, might still be a few copies there... Those two albums are genius, it's a pity Mark Hollis seems to have stopped making music.

:) bought spirit of eden meself for the second time last week, having lost it for several years.... had the version that had three songs on the one track... what an absolute genius of a record.... i would throw my hand up for laughing stock also... couldn't find it for ages until entering a random shop in liverpool... mark hollis' solo record with the cat? biscuit on the front is also really good but i prefer the last two talk talk records

Not sure where you got your copy but HMV in Grafton St have copies of Spirit of Eden, Colour of Spring, and Talk Talk - The Collection all for 5.99 each.
At the very back on the groundfloor on the right hand side.. Lillll' bit further...

yea,but you won't find 'laughing stock' at that price coz it was released on an indie jazz label and probably only available on import.

jjlikestrains said:
Not sure where you got your copy but HMV in Grafton St have copies of Spirit of Eden, Colour of Spring, and Talk Talk - The Collection all for 5.99 each.
At the very back on the groundfloor on the right hand side.. Lillll' bit further...

hermie said:
yea,but you won't find 'laughing stock' at that price coz it was released on an indie jazz label and probably only available on import.

My copy's on Polydor, which isn't exactly an "indie jazz" label.

I'd have to go with Laughing Stock as their best, although Spirit of Eden and The Colour of Spring are also definitely worth picking up.

Anyone who likes Talk Talk should also pick up everything by Bark Psychosis, who were very definitely inspired by TT but took their ideas even further. In fact, ex-TT drummer Lee Harris played on BP's comeback album of last year, Codename: Dustsucker. (Personally, I actually prefer Bark Psychosis to Talk Talk, but that's just me.)

Paul

photon said:
My copy's on Polydor, which isn't exactly an "indie jazz" label.

I'd have to go with Laughing Stock as their best, although Spirit of Eden and The Colour of Spring are also definitely worth picking up.

Anyone who likes Talk Talk should also pick up everything by Bark Psychosis, who were very definitely inspired by TT but took their ideas even further. In fact, ex-TT drummer Lee Harris played on BP's comeback album of last year, Codename: Dustsucker. (Personally, I actually prefer Bark Psychosis to Talk Talk, but that's just me.)

Paul

it came out on Verve originally.

re: BP yeah they are pretty darn good. some of the stuff on that "game over" comp was dodgy tho. theyr music is very claustrophobic i find.

and if ya wanna follow the link even further then paul webb (TT's bassplayer) is rustin man and did that album with beth gibbons from portaloo. i have one of their sougs in my head and i dont like it!!!

whats codename:dustsucker like?

spectraljanitor said:
it came out on Verve originally.

Ah, didn't know that.

spectraljanitor said:
re: BP yeah they are pretty darn good. some of the stuff on that "game over" comp was dodgy tho. theyr music is very claustrophobic i find.

That's a really good description of their sound, but I kinda like that aspect of it.

Independency is a far better comp than Game Over, although the latter does have their utterly bizarre cover of Wire's "Three Girl Rhumba" to recommend it.

spectraljanitor said:
and if ya wanna follow the link even further then paul webb (TT's bassplayer) is rustin man and did that album with beth gibbons from portaloo. i have one of their sougs in my head and i dont like it!!!

I have the album, and it's pretty so-so.

spectraljanitor said:
whats codename:dustsucker like?

I agree with Alan: very good, but Hex is still their best.

Paul

giveachickakick said:
never saw that one...whats on it? i like scum....

"Scum"'s on it. Here's the tracklisting (courtesy of AMG):

1 I Know
2 Nothing Feels
3 All Different Things
4 By Blow
5 Manman
6 Blood Rush
7 Tooled Up
8 Scum

Came out in 1994 on 3rd Stone. You can still find it occasionally in the shops.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back