Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (1988) (2 Viewers)

I have never heard any of those bands..mad

I like something you can tap your foot to

Here's a short ankle twinkler which isn't too far removed from a toe tapper.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've listened to this a few times through the week but not with the track list so don't know song from song. As @johnnystress said earlier this would be a good album if it was instrumental. Yer mans vocals took me a while to get into, the production /sound of them are most things i hate about 80's music but after a few listens they grew on my, well not grew but i listen to them the same way i would an instrument i hate like sax and got over them. this has been my favourite album from the club so far except for Slayer of course.

Was a few years before I learned they actually got a single out of this but it does kinda make sense - although surely it made no sense at all in 1988. Cool video, better than anything Yazz was knocking out at the time anyway:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not buying it - there's an 11 year old thread linked below discussing this hot topic which I'm gonna read now.

Still, love you too LS, don't go changin'

The voting button in that thread still works - @pete maybe you could do a job on those mothballed never-used election voting machines if they're still knocking around? Still a few hours left to work your magic before it kicks off tomorrow

The approach to recording this album is as interesting as the music itself
Oh god @Cornu Ammonis
I presume you're using a bit of artistic licence here, but if I was in Talk Talk I'd find this profoundly depressing

This thread kind of depresses me as there seems to be a feeling that "serious" music is bad music. Sure, there's no levity here like there was with The Smiths and Wu-Tang albums but for me there's way more raw emotion coming through.
In generaI I feel the opposite, that art in general gets undervalued because it the response it elicits isn't either purely intellectual or a downer. Literature is worse for this than music

I've nothing against serious music per se, I just find that a bit of levity often gives me an emotional gateway into the music. I don't care about the raw emotion of the band, I care about the raw emotion the music induces in me.

Oh god @Cornu Ammonis
I presume you're using a bit of artistic licence here, but if I was in Talk Talk I'd find this profoundly depressing
They seem to be depressed enough based on their interviews.

I've nothing against serious music per se, I just find that a bit of levity often gives me an emotional gateway into the music. I don't care about the raw emotion of the band, I care about the raw emotion the music induces in me.
It utterly depends on the music. I don't think I could get through an article on polyrhythmic mechanisms underpinning complex cultural references in the music of Iron Maiden when I could just stick on "The Trooper" and play air guitar. Equally, I'm not going to listen to Stockhausen to get into a party mood.

This album hit me harder than the other albums so far that were new/unfamiliar to me. Part of that was being impressed at the approach used, I appreciate the craft as well as the finished article. Equally, the music here is really fucking good and sounds like a bunch of real humans making music that I can relate to.

You want a more direct hit, fine. It's not wrong, it's just different. Music is something I'm passionate about, not just the waveforms that make up the sounds I hear but the people that made it. It's a social activity, why reduce it to just sounds? I'd love to know more about this album but everyone involved seems to be tight-lipped about it. I'd like to know more about the Wu Tang album too; the information on the Bowie and NMH albums gave me a new perspective on them too. I still don't particularly love the NMH album but it added depth to something that for me was just a throwaway but enjoyable indie album.

Again, I can't remember if I voted for this one. I knew some of Talk Talk's hits from the 80's, but that was it. I think it was an article in a magazine from the late 90's that piqued my interest, Bernard Butler's favourite albums, Spirit of Eden was one of them. He described it in such a strange way I had to hear it. Hot buttered soul by Isaac Hayes was another I discovered from that list.

I do love SOE for the mood, the raw emotion, the light & shade. If your looking for tightly crafted songs, look elsewhere.

After streaming this every week or two since first hearing it on Thumped Album Club, I bought the LP yesterday. This is such an amazing album.

Dipped into Laughing Stock a couple of times, also good but need to spend more time with it. It didn't suck me in like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back