Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (1988) (1 Viewer)

Out of all the LPs so far this is the only one I've had on repeat. It's good background music. I'm not sure if that's what they were aiming for however.

A mate in work saw it up on my screen and expressed surprised that I'd be listening to it. He has all their albums.

yeah, it's a classic

I bet they're all living the highlife on their popstar money since No Doubt covered the other hit

Youtube automatically followed this with the "Laughing Stock" album. It works well. I had no idea that these were "that type" of band. The singles aren't representative of them at all.

I love this album,this and Laughing stock are just so immaculately crafted.A while back I got to spend a whole load of time cycling around a lovely dutch village at night happily monged on amazing weed listening to this on nice headphones.Excellent choice

"Wreath" is just coming to a close now, ending my first play through of the album and what an album! Thank you to whoever suggested this one, you are wonderful.

You can almost hear every band on Kranky taking notes in the background, it sounds about ten years younger than it is. The only thing that really dates it are the vocals which still have that 80s soulful style but they work exceptionally well in the context. This is one of those albums that you really regret not finding sooner, a new best friend. More thoughts with further listens.

I see there's a vinyl reissue with the album also included as a DVD (which has an extra track on it), I'll be hitting that up for sure.

Stuck the cans on, here we go:

'The Rainbow' - Melodic smoky jazz number made more interesting by the varied textures and dynamics. Works best on headphones: you can better discern the running water, the horn and woodwind drones; even the harmonica works because it's slightly distorted.

'Eden' - Similar mood here; the tune itself is fairly conventional, Hollis' vocals typical of the sophisti-pop stylings of the era, but there's so much going on in the background - random string plucks, wind chimes, and that slashing electric guitar, such a rich, sonorous tone to it. Also, is that Nigel Kennedy on the violin? It makes even him sound cool.

'Desire' - Third of a three-part movement here, isn't it? Tries to coalesce as a rousing pop/rock song though it's stronger when it simmers. But then there's that moment when all but the percussion drops away something clicks and it works.

'Inheritance' - Starts in a similar way to side A, a bit sweeter than what's sure to follow, mostly due to the more prominent vocal, though it makes room for an off-time horn summit towards the end.

'I Believe In You' - Doesn't leave much of an impression. It's nice and all, but the choral background vox rub me the wrong way. No wonder this was the single.

'Wealth' - By now the magic has worn off. The specific layers of instrumentation might be unique, but the structure is too similar to all that comes before: there's a hint at a melodic line, then the players sit back to let one solo for a bit, and repeat. Very jazz, I know, but usually jazz musicians come up with something more interesting to do when they've got that spotlight.

So yeah, side A definitely better than side B.

on my third whiskey tonight and listening to this again. (with predator on the tv on mute).

im having a slight problem with the album club albums so far (apart from low) by having to listen to them through youtube. so i am getting no real sense of the songs as individual things. not a problem with this album.

i am really digging it. im getting another drink in before bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back