Talk about your dreams (1 Viewer)

I know what you mean by the first one. The way I experience it is like someone is sitting on my legs. Then I feel an awful sense of dread and a nefarious presence (i.e. ghost). When I try to move I'm totally paralysed and the more terrified I become the less paralysed I am. As soon as I can move again the sense of dread and evil goes too. Its horrible 😭

oh that's more a traditional night paralysis.

I'm not paralysed in that one, it's not even all that frightening. It's just on the further end of disturbing I suppose. What you're talking about is something I'd be much more scared of experiencing.

I listened to this I think years ago, it might be talking about what you're talking about. It's horrific sounding.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I guess I'm more anxious about this end of stuff, because I have two kids, and they come to me with all sorts of crazy nightmares.

My daughter ended up in my bed almost every night for a while because of "the spiky guy". I dread to think.

Here, did anyone experience either of these two things:

- You'd lose depth perception, and the whole world was essentially resting against your eyeballs, everything was... kind of on top of you. Hard to explain, but if I was drifting off to sleep there were times where some visual processing element of my brain would shut down, and the images all jumped to me and wrapped around me, everything seemed to be the same distance apart, and everything seemed very close.

- You'd go into a mode where almost all objects are obscenely thick and chunky and would be sickening and frightening, or painfully thin to the extent you could feel them slipping and squeezing through your teeth. The thick thin was particularly scary because it's something that doesn't go away quickly. The no depth perception would pop on if you got a fright and woke up more, but the thin/thick thing was horrible since you'd have to touch your bed frame (obscenely thick) and banisters, likewise, and then come down and have to see the fire guard in front of the fire, which had excruciatingly thin wires that I'd have to not look at.

None of this very specifically but it sounds not unlike the night terrors I had briefly as a kid. Like, I think I only experienced them maybe 2 or 3 times over a week but I still think about them sometimes. There were dancing, coloured lines all around my bed and my brain that mixed them with the word "Lion" and those specific dancing lines were dangerous and scary.

There's also a certain kind of mindset my head can enter that feels exactly like an illness I had as a kid where all sounds I heard were echo-ing around and around and I couldn't understand what anyone was saying. Now and then I feel it coming on and I have to shout and kind of shake myself to not enter it. I do wonder what would happen if I just let it happen. My fear is I couldn't "exit" the feeling, in the way I couldn't as a kid.

A demonic old man in a hotel was violently killing everyone, ripping heads off and ripping people open. It was my job to lure him into a trap and save the day. I don't know what happened in the end, sorry

Just to say from the outset I am *not* a fan of Joe Rogan, however, a friend sent me a link to an episode of his podcast where he interviewed a neuroscientist about sleep. There was a really interesting part where they discussed what happens when you don't get enough REM sleep and the implications down the line. Essentially when we dream we experience psychosis; we see shit that's not real and we are disconnected from reality, but our super-duper brain knows to switch off the parts that control movements. When we don't get enough REM, we don't get to go through the motions of being a paralysed psychotic - which seems to be essential to healthy brain functioning - so that can present as delirium when awake. An example is alcoholism, alcohol has a detrimental impact on sleep because it prevents the normal movement through the sleep cycle - REM is not achieved thus the processing of new information by the brain cannot be done. So when a person addicted to alcohol is going through a withdrawal, they experience Delerium Tremens (the "DTs") which is when your brain is so deprived of normal sleep cycling, the person is, for all intents and purpose, dreaming while awake.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, the episode is fascinating. Even if it hosted by Joe Rogan.

Except when it was BEYOND awful because I had poisoned myself and my body was rejecting itself, I always found the worst part of hangovers to be the tiredness.

Sitting in a room somewhere, listening to the radio with @Anthony. A song is introduced as being “the new one from The Middle Ages”. Anthony is interested because he hasn’t heard it yet(?), because @chris d wrote it(?)

Anyway the song comes on and it’s good, but there’s a bit worked around a weird chord in the middle eight that sticks out, and Anthony - well, he is not happy. “Sounds phrygian to me?” I observe(?), but Anthony says angrily:

“That’s mixolydian. He’s fired.”

————-

This all raises many questions.

Last night I dreamt @therealjohnny was my housemate (and also my boss??) and he inveigled a way of kicking me out (and firing me??) because I wouldn't embrace the rockabilly lifestyle of his real mates. I was also waiting on a delivery the whole time and was like "please don't take away my swipe key until my delivery turns up, you can fire me then."

I have no real mates, and the rockabilly lifestyle is a distant memory. But apart from this, it shows how well you know the real me.

I woke up exhausted, planning on calling in sick because I was up until 5 am being coerced into singing a song at a rally for former U.S. President Barack Obama. I took a few moments for the fog to clear and realise that that hadn't really happened.

I have no real mates, and the rockabilly lifestyle is a distant memory. But apart from this, it shows how well you know the real me.

I woke up exhausted, planning on calling in sick because I was up until 5 am being coerced into singing a song at a rally for former U.S. President Barack Obama. I took a few moments for the fog to clear and realise that that hadn't really happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back