Taking Photos of People in Public Places (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
I know its legal, but what is the general feeling about it? In terms of intrusion, privacy etc

I was in Stephens Green earlier, taking random photos of people, the swans, everything - it was a great day for photos, with the sunshine and all. A tourist came up to me and asked if I had taken a picture of his girlfriend. I had no idea whether I had or not, so I showed him the recent shots, and sure enough, she was in one of them (along with a bunch of other people). I offered to delete it and they seemed happy enough - the girl said, "yes that would be best". And that was fine.

But afterwards I felt like I had been doing something wrong, inappropriate or even weirdo-ish. I just happen to like photos of unposing strangers - I know where to draw the line (I think) and would never take pictures of babies/ kids/ people being intimate etc. I also usually take them from a distance, so don't have a camera pointed in someones face, and crop them later. Now I don't know! Maybe I should call it a day.

Photos like this...

1376417_10202444588143007_818371097_n.jpg

10172749_10203949375201743_3415634915462751422_n.jpg

It's what makes great photos (look at Robert Frank) and the toughest part I had with the profession. It was always hard for me to point my camera at people. You have to do it on the sly or they will change what they were doing, which made the shot in the first place. I tend to shoot from the hip without looking though the viewfinder so no one knows, it's works about 30% of the time. Street photography needs a brazen attitude and I'm too sheepish. That said, in my head, I take thousands of incredible photos everyday. I need a spy camera in some sunglasses.

It's what makes great photos (look at Robert Frank) and the toughest part I had with the profession. It was always hard for me to point my camera at people. You have to do it on the sly or they will change what they were doing, which made the shot in the first place. I tend to shoot from the hip without looking though the viewfinder so no one knows, it's works about 30% of the time. Street photography needs a brazen attitude and I'm too sheepish. That said, in my head, I take thousands of incredible photos everyday. I need a spy camera in some sunglasses.

I find myself taking them on the sly for the same reason - that I'm too sheepish to be brazen about it. As I use my phone camera, I have found myself pretending to text or make calls, while in reality I was snapping away. That just doesn't seem right. I don't know.

JANER takes some amazing photos of random people although he seems to usually have talked to the people before snapping them.

It's easier to do nowadays since almost everyone is carrying a camera and someone arsing around with their phone is less conspicuous than pointing a traditional SLR at people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back