Syria (1 Viewer)

Psycho Punk

UN General Assembly targets Syria as US proxy war escalates

The UN General Assembly has denounced Syria and blamed Assad for the fighting: “the first step in the cessation of violence has to be made by the Syrian authorities.” It denounced “the increasing use by the Syrian authorities of heavy weapons, including indiscriminate shelling from tanks and helicopters, and the failure to withdraw its troops and the heavy weapons to their barracks.” Thus they demand that the Syrian Government commit political suicide, by unilaterally disarming in the face of an international Islamist insurgency armed, financed, and organized by the US and its allies. Full text at link.

The vote came only days after reports emerged confirming that US President Barack Obama had previously signed a “finding” ordering US intelligence agencies to give covert aid to anti-Assad forces. It had already been widely reported that Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar are arming oppositional forces in Syria, which include a large number of foreign fighters recruited by Al Qaeda-affiliated groups. Their operations are directed from Adana, the site of the United States’ Incirlik air base in nearby Turkey.

The UN resolution was drafted by the Saudi, Qatari, and Bahraini absolute monarchies. News reports presented the handiwork of these ultra-right Sunni-sectarian regimes, freshly covered in blood from their crushing of last spring’s mass protests in Bahrain, as part of a democratic US campaign to protect civilians from authoritarian governments!

Nor did anyone seek to explain what principles make the Assad regime’s use of heavy weapons in a proxy war with Washington more reprehensible than the Turkey’s bombings of Kurdish villages, as part of its long-standing military suppression of Turkey’s Kurdish minority.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2012/aug2012/syri-a04.shtml

Full text at link.

Fall of Assad could see break-up
http://www.cpgb.org.uk/home/weekly-worker/925/fall-of-assad-could-see-break-up

Intercommunal conflict could change the shape of the borders throughout the region, argues Esen Uslu

The scheme hatched to undermine the Assad regime in Syria is about to bring about the undesired consequence of a total collapse of the “territorial integrity” of Syria. The former up to now had been intertwined with the latter.

Turkey, and behind it the USA, European Union and Nato, has been advising Bashar al-Assad to leave the scene gracefully so as to allow a controlled passage to ‘democracy’, while at the same time the imperialist powers have been organising the opposition forces, arming and financing them with the help of their allies in the Gulf. Considering what happened in the countries along the southern shores of the Mediterranean Sea, the Assad regime chose not to go, but instead decided to fight on to the bitter end.

In its quest to hold onto power Assad stepped up his brutal repression of the opposition. Iran, Russia and China have done their best to bolster the regime, as it attempts to win the civil war at any cost. However, its mainstays - the armed forces and other critical parts of the repressive state - are gradually disintegrating. Not only because they have lost some of their top brass in an explosion in Damascus, but because the trickle of top soldiers and officials seeking refuge abroad has gradually become a mass exodus.

According to recent newspaper reports in Turkey, there are 26 generals and 400 officers of the Syrian armed forces in Turkey among the nearly 50,000 refugees. Just a couple of days ago the chief of police in Latakia defected, together with a number of his officers. Similar defections have taken place across the Jordanian and Lebanese borders, where nearly a quarter million Syrians have sought refuge.

While it is gradually losing important parts of its repressive apparatus, the Assad regime is still quite capable of hanging on, and meting out severe punishment to the armed groups of the Syrian National Council, the umbrella organisation that is striving to unify the opposition.

So long as its Free Syrian Army remains in its present state - that is, unable to unify and control all local and ‘international’ armed groups, which are facing far better equipped, trained and disciplined troops fighting within a unified command structure - the only option for the SNC is to demand and pray for international intervention. Meanwhile, the regime and its international backers have other clever plans up their sleeves, including playing ‘divide and rule’ with Syria’s sizable minorities.

By doing so it also reminds the world of the country’s fault lines and of its own position as the unifying force. To emphasise its indispensability it warns of the unforeseeable and most probably disastrous consequences of a total collapse of the state apparatus, which would open the way to a long-drawn-out war between the various communities.

Indeed, the religious and ethnic groups that make up the population of Syria have been constantly checking their backs. While they oppose the Assad regime, they are also afraid of the other opposition forces. Religious communities of Christians, Druze, Sunni Muslims and Alawis still bear the scars of past internecine wars and massacres that have taken place repeatedly since the late 19th century.

They are also quite wary of external ‘liberating forces’ - since the end of World War I such ‘liberators’ have several times carved up the land, reunited it and carved it up again. So, while SNC is looking for outside help, most of the population is not. Although the various population groups want to see the back of the Assad regime, they do not want to surrender their armed capabilities to the SNC, since they regard those independent armed capabilities as their only real guarantee in case of a civil war.

Full text at link.

A fascinating shift has happened in the U.S. mainstream media: After a year of anti-Syria war propaganda and lies, glimmers of truth are making their way into the public's view. This may be too little too late: the country is being torn at the seams into the nightmare of ethnic-religious cleansing and massacres.

After non-stop war mongering, The New York Times took a second to wipe the blood off its hands to report the true state of things in Syria. Apparently, the previous, ongoing reports about the Syrian army indiscriminately massacring citizens in the city of Homs was simply a lie, repeated over and over.

It now turns out that the exact opposite was true.

In actuality, many of the refugees fleeing Homs were persecuted Christians, attacked by members of the Free Syrian Army, who have been killing religious minorities in an attempt to recruit hard-line Sunnis in Syria as they wage a religious war against the Syrian secular state.

The Background

Because the Free Syrian Army did not emerge from a popular revolution — but instead the pocketbooks and arsenal of Saudi Arabia — the war to destroy the Syrian government had to be waged as an ethnic-religious war. Saudi Arabia has a long history of exporting its rare extremist form of Sunni Islam, Wahhabism, as a political tool to help overthrow unfriendly governments.

Related Link: http://www.countercurrents.org/cooke050812.htm

The groups involved would be long term secular opponents of the Regime who have been against the Islamists attacks from the start.

Syria opposition starts summit in Damascus
http://rt.com/news/syria-opposition-conference-meeting-788/
Published: 23 September, 2012, 15:50

Syria opposition members are holding a meeting in the capital Damascus to debate peaceful ways out of the long-lasting bloody conflict. The Free Syrian Army (FSA) is boycotting the forum. Fifteen opposition groups and six movements are participating in the National Conference for Rescuing Syria, RIA Novosti news agency reports.The meeting is also attended by Russian, Iranian, Chinese ambassadors, as well as several ambassadors from Arab countries which maintain diplomatic missions in Syria. ...

whoo hoo! Other people's misfortune is my opportunity!

"Good day,

I am Moshood Kazeem I represent the interest of my brother in-law who is a minister in the Syrian Government. As you probably know, there is a lot of crisis going on currently in Syria and my brother in-law is having problems with the ruling party and they are currently investigating his ministry. While he is sure that he has not done anything wrong, there is also every reason for him to secure to think ahead his family’s future in case the unexpected happens. He has asked me to help him find a reputable foreigner who can help receive a substantial amount of money and possibly invest this amount on his behalf. I am contacting you with the hope that you can assist. We will provide the funds. If you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please kindly contact me back via email and I will give you more details. Please note that you will also be compesated greatly for your help. Hopefully, we can do some good business together.

Regards,

Moshood Kazeem."

972028_10151604482306629_1579355529_n.jpg

I missed the part where the two situations are at all comparable.

Syria is not Iraq.

Ok....Syria not Iraq. Gotchya.

So why do we gotta bomb them?

You said he gassed his own people with impunity and I have no idea how you've arrived at that conclusion.

And who have it?
The Russians? The Chinese?

You have to make this guy feel pain for using gas. In my view anyway.

Maybe nobody has it, or nobody with the capacity to do anything about it, I dunno. I don't think US bombs can help, their hypocrisy on middle eastern matters is so blatant that nobody can see it as just, even if they're glad to see Assad get it.

Ok....Syria not Iraq. Gotchya.

So why do we gotta bomb them?

You said he gassed his own people with impunity and I have no idea how you've arrived at that conclusion.

No idea at all?

For real?

Hating the Iraq war does not mean giving Assad a pass here. The situations are completely different.

Maybe nobody has it, or nobody with the capacity to do anything about it, I dunno. I don't think US bombs can help, their hypocrisy on middle eastern matters is so blatant that nobody can see it as just, even if they're glad to see Assad get it.

I dunno, man. The other one here is talking about Iraq. You're talking about the larger middle east.
I see people that have been the subject of a chemical attack by their own government.
That trumps the wider issues for now. No one should be allowed do that and get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back