Sympathy for the Devil (2 Viewers)

I dunno, wtf is causing people to do this? Can we address that issue? or are they just born pariahs and should indeed be nuked on the moon?

The vigilantes here, I'd wonder how many are just pursuing their own interests in shaming and torturing others by choosing as their targets those who no-one will want to defend.

They're born that way no? Some people like men, some like women, some like children. Of course there will be some opportunists who see a chance and take it but I imagine their victims would largely be more developed rather than actual children. I don't think it can be solved anymore than anyone's orientation can be changed, you just have to hope they don't act on their impulses.

Fuck the vigilantes, like you say its picking on an easy target that no one wants to defend, just because they commit heinous crimes it doesn't justify taking the law into one's own hands, particularly when much of it seems driven by self-gratification.

They're born that way no? Some people like men, some like women, some like children. Of course there will be some opportunists who see a chance and take it but I imagine their victims would largely be more developed rather than actual children. I don't think it can be solved anymore than anyone's orientation can be changed, you just have to hope they don't act on their impulses.

Yeah, it's a tough one (you know, sexuality in general!). My own personal belief (right now, subject to change) is that no one is born any way, not fully, and there's a lot more nurture involved in these things than nature. Course, that can make me come across like an anti-gay lunatic, but I don't mean it in that way, I think gay/straight/whatever are all fairly equal constructions by society.

Basically I suppose I still believe that no one is completely beyond help, including some utterly evil pricks. When I read some of the (pop) science on how malleable the brain can be over time it gives me hope for these things.

Fuck the vigilantes, like you say its picking on an easy target that no one wants to defend, just because they commit heinous crimes it doesn't justify taking the law into one's own hands, particularly when much of it seems driven by self-gratification.
It's a bit like when people point out that law needs to be written with the exceptions in mind, not the assumed normal. It's when really horrific, beyond the pale, acts happen that we need the law more than ever. None of us are gonna be in any kind of rational state if an abstract thing like this becomes... real.

Vigilantes just benefit from the emotions of others, and i think there's some psychological issue they're clearly dealing with themselves than lead them to want to take sadistic revenge on others. I mean I'd have a lot of sympathy if they had shit happen to them as a kid but this doesn't seem like the greatest way of dealing with it...

Having said that, it does look like another symptom of all the difficulty in current laws in getting convictions in abuse cases.

So you're saying we can pray the gay away!?
LOL I know, know. I think you possibly could change or blend your orientation if you wanted to, praying the gay away seems to involve obsessing about it so would probably only make you "more" gay, so to speak. Adding masses of guilt into the equation (as if it is an equation btw... it's not) only makes it more complicated.

I always thought one's orientation was fixed, gonna have to go do some reading on that now

FactCheck: can paedophiles be cured?

The above is rather interesting, if brief.

I think the reductionist approach that one is "born" a certain way is useful in broad contexts when speaking generally but fairly falls apart when examined individually, similar to how male/female divisions physically are a lot more complicated than often given credit. It's a real thing, but it's a spectrum, or a multitude of spectrums more likely. People are messy, complicated beings, physically, psychologically and emotionally.

I see a parallel to our current science-orientated, big-data will solve all, everything can be measured, there-are-answers approach to the world. IMHO it's doing a lot of damage to how we think about this kind of thing. Western approaches to Eastern ideas (It's been termed "The Buddha pill") or the idea that, for example, mindfulness can just be picked up and dropped in your life and will benefit you, are seriously stupid. Reminds me of what I was bitching about before; about how reading fiction is "good for you" because some study shows that it "improves empathy" or whatever, missing the point.

I have no solution for the law questions above though, nowhere near informed enough.

Last edited:
I remember a good few years back when that McColgan case had just finished, I was talking to a lad I knew who was a prison officer at the time. He was working in Arbour Hill (either a sex-offenders prison, or they have a 'special' wing up there for them), and I asked him had he come across McColgan after his conviction. He said he had, and that the sense of entitlement McColgan had was shocking. He was convicted of abusing his daughters and he genuinely felt it was his right to do so. As if they were his property.

The more shocking thing was that he mentioned that is amost the prevailing attitude among the inmates there. That they can't understand why they were convicted because they were acting within their rights (among those who's crimes involved family members).

I'd be more of the mind that people who feel 'sexually oriented' towards children, are just plain sick, and that its not a sexual orientation at all. So comparing it to other sexualities isn't an apples and apples comparison.

I just googled 'mccolgan sex offender' just now. The results were .... interesting.

He's britain's problem now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back