Sultans of Ping FC (1 Viewer)

thread of the year so far.
one of my ol tutors turned down the position of keyboard player with the sultans
who does that kind of shit?!
hey fiachra - you listening to 'indeed you are'?
hahah!
sike

andrew

To this day every time I visit a public lavatory and see the word Armitage Shanks on some porcelain the sultans of ping song of the same name pops into my head.

CEREMONIALDEATH said:
thread of the year so far.
one of my ol tutors turned down the position of keyboard player with the sultans
who does that kind of shit?!
the sultans rule the proverbial crotch area.
my history teacher had a chance to play with Madness and is still best mates with Suggs.
and the scene points go to...

myself and albert + damien from limerick went to cork on patrickses weekend a few years ago and spent a considerable amount of time asking people 'about' the sultans...if they knew them, if the cineplex was the cineplex, what 'rasa' is...etc!
someone smart work out the names of the footballers / philosophers in 'kick me with your leather boots'.........'foggy felix mendelson' - the composer?!
la la la - la la la - yeah yeah - yeah yeah

andrew
ps - my tutor guy played for the shanks. i don't remember them though.

nigel_clough_150.jpg

nigel-scores.jpg

andrew

kirstie said:
me
I'm related to one of them. ha!
haha i was just making a point.. no need to celebrate it!

andrew some of the guys in the shanks are still playing around, i think one of them is in Rulers of the Planet.
whats the nigel clough connection... hes in a song??

they were originally called sultans, then changed it to sultans of ping, then changed it to sultans of ping fc.

oh yeah one of them's in rulers of the planet - forgot that. not to eh into them.
nigel clough - 'give him a ball and a yard of grass' is about him! it takes a special kind of band to write a song about nigel clough...i mean, i'm sure we all have a song or two about paul mcgrath in us, but nigel clough?
i thought the name thing went
sultans of ping f.c. -> sultans of ping -> sultans (their last incarnation?)

andrew

http://ping.fishtank.org.uk/interview_exclusive.php

Q: You dropped the `F.C.' on the second album... have you dropped the `Ping' now?
A: Yeah, we've dropped it all.
Q: What was the whole meaning of `The Sultans of Ping F.C.' ?
A: It's hard to know really. I mean, it wasn't really my name in the first place. I didn't really think of it in the first place, so I never really knew what it meant.
Q: It's certainly a bizarre name!
A: It is, yeah. I think `Sultans' just sounds more like a garage band, and we're happier with it. And it's got a kind of Arabian...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back