Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
Unfortunately I have had to cancel my three-week trip to Argentina in September, but myself and Mrs Ro are thinking that we might go for a week to somewhere sunny and relaxing in Europe. Somewhere not too packed, where you don't need to do any driving, with decent food, a beach and which is well serviced in terms of flights in case I need to come home early. Maybe I'm asking too much.

I'm thinking one of the islands like corsica, sicily or sardinia - anyone been to one of those or could anyone suggest something suitable?

Thanks.

Your pal.

Ro

I've been to Sicily and it's fantastic, but you're really best off with a car if you go there. The trains are not worth the hassle, and while I think the buses are okay, it's Sicily and therefore may not be as well connected as the rest of Italy.

If you can scrap the beach idea, I can't recommend the Austrian Alps more enthusiastically. The September weather should still be fairly warm, and the thing is, it's absolutely not packed. You don't need a car, it's not too expensive, and you might get a pretty good deal on a hotel or holiday apartment. It'll be post-hiking season and just about pre-ski season.

The weather will probably vary quite a lot, but you should get some nice sun, it might even get hot, and it is totally relaxing. I never thought I'd be so smitten with a place that wasn't even on a coast, but there you go.

You could also try the Italian Alps/North Tyrol. Alps are class. Whatever's happening in the rest of Europe weather-wise, the Alps kind of have their own climate, which is why we went there again.

Hi Ro,
i recommend Tuscany.
If you fly East Midlands - Pisa on Ryanair its cheap as chips.
Pisa is beautiful, with the leaning tower, the field of miracles, and the amazing Piazzadel Duomo, and is beside the amazing City of Florence (culture and the quieter seaside paradise of Livorno.
You could make Livorno your base, and do day trips to florence and pisa and stuff, then go back to the evening sun and eat calamari. mmnn.

Italian food is amazing, and you're in Chianti wine country. You can also go on deadly day excursions to lots of cool places like the Island of Elba and stuff.

Tuscany will be quieter in september too.

lots of airports too Pisa, Florence (and Elba) have airports, and you can fly direct to Dublin from Pisa and Florence.

so thats, sun, sea, culture, architecture and history.

K

Thanks for suggestions ladies and gents - we got a good deal for sorrento, so we're off there on friday week.

Huzzah!

Thanks for suggestions ladies and gents - we got a good deal for sorrento, so we're off there on friday week.

Huzzah!

Oooh, excellent! You'll probably want to go to Pompeii, since it's only a few minutes away, but I think Herculaneum is far more visitor-friendly. If you do go to either, I recommend getting an English-language buke. I might even be able to loan you one.

Another place to check out is Oplontis, the villa that belonged to Poppea "Sorry I threw you down the stairs" Sabina, one of Nero's wives. Because it was only discovered in the 1960s and was just one villa, it was much better excavated than most of Pompeii and a lot of Herculaneum, and it's in amazing condition -- it's about as minimalist and subtle as Graceland. The only warning is that Torre Annunziata, where Oplontis is, is VERY FUCKING DODGY. That whole part of the country is amazing and beautiful and absolutely and totally mental, but it's also the smack capital of Europe. So just be really cautious.

Another cool place is Paestum, a Greek site, not too far from where you'll be. And a little town called Agropoli is kinda nifty, all tacky seaside town crap when you get there, and then an amazing medieval town on the hill. It's not far from where you'll be, either.

And obviously, there's Capri, Ischia, etc.

Where'd you get your deal, anyway? I wanna go there now that I'm thinking about it.

There was a really cool restaurant there called La Lanterna that did yummy food and had all these glass-covered cutouts in the floors and walls, showing you bits of the original Roman construction. And another place that we just called 'that garden restaurant', only I can't remember its name or where it was. Those were about 10 years ago, anyway.

Have an amazing time. Eat a lot of ice cream and cannoli for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back