Sugar Puffs- a year round breakfast staple, or a Christmas treat? (1 Viewer)

Sugar Puffs; a year-round breakfast staple, or a Christmas treat?

• Total voters
A sense of ritualistic meaning to an otherwise empty and depressing life. I only really each Ferrero Rocher at Christmas, largely because you can only buy the big boxes of them around that time of year.

my dad once had this depressing insight on the tyranny of abundance - 'when you only got it once a year it was great, when you get it every day its boring'

Eat what you want whenever you want.

Apart from mince pies. It is forbidden to eat them outside of xmas and new year. Of course.

But designating a run of the mill breakfast cereal as a xmas treat is a new one on me

Unless it's a "Dublin in the rare aul times....we were poor but we were happy...to get a bowl of sugar puffs on xmas morning, in lieu of anything else, me aul segotia"

Ha no way, my Granda was North Strand. My dad was very much not though so god knows what his reasons are, i'll have to ask him if it's a tradition beyond himself.

I don't remember ever eating sugar puffs, but I'm sure i did. Growing up It's was basically cornflakes, rice crispies, Weetabix & the dreaded porridge. Occasionally crunchy nut cornflakes. The food of the gods.
Now I never have cereal. Ironically the only one I eat is porridge.

we had one solitary sugar puff which was shared by my siblings and I by the light of a candle that we lit briefly on christmas day as the only source of light and heat we ever experienced in donegal up until the traffic lights came.

This sugar puffs xmas connection is madness.

Ye's were little terrors and they didn't want you loaded with sugar and then having an emotional meltdown 35 mins after breakfast all year after seeing the results once most likely.

Also I can't imagine what a dentist costs in dublin but i'm sure your parents knew :p

Sugar puffs were just for xmas in my house, as were those Kelloggs multipacks.

I think my parents just assumed we'd all end up getting our teeth knocked out and replaced with false teeth in our 30's, just like they did.

my dad once had this depressing insight on the tyranny of abundance - 'when you only got it once a year it was great, when you get it every day its boring'
I don't remember ever eating sugar puffs, but I'm sure i did. Growing up It's was basically cornflakes, rice crispies, Weetabix & the dreaded porridge. Occasionally crunchy nut cornflakes. The food of the gods.
Now I never have cereal. Ironically the only one I eat is porridge.
I love Oatmeal, it's my favourite food - I'd eat a kilo of it every day if I didn't know better (only do that the odd time) I never cook it either just put a bit water on it (cold water is fine, warm is better) or maybe Rice Dream (milk substitute).
All this fancy food stuff is like the emperor's new clothes.

In the 80's I ate Sugar Puffs a hand full of times at cousin's houses - they were er... very sugary.
their packaging / adverts were a big part of their appeal A relatively fun way to corrupt kids compared to say, odious dickhead Roland McDonald.

surprised no one posted the John Cooper Clarke adverts:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DISCLAIMER: for entertainment purposes only - do not eat.
This was one of the last adverts they did with Honey Monster before he was scrapped

I love Oatmeal, it's my favourite food - I'd eat a kilo of it every day if I didn't know better (only do that the odd time) I never cook it either just put a bit water on it (cold water is fine, warm is better) or maybe Rice Dream (milk substitute).

In the 80's I ate Sugar Puffs a hand full of times at cousin's houses - they were er... very sugary.
their packaging / adverts were a big part of their appeal A relatively fun way to corrupt kids compared to say, odious dickhead Roland McDonald.

This was one of the last adverts they did with Honey Monster before he was scrapped

I don't remember these. Must have been in that brief period of my life where I had no telly.
We'd entertain ourselves by watching the newly installed traffic lights go from green to red. Green to red. Green to red. Happier times.

I don't remember these. Must have been in that brief period of my life where I had no telly.
We'd entertain ourselves by watching the newly installed traffic lights go from green to red. Green to red. Green to red. Happier times.

I remember they couldn't use the orange light for "reasons". Donegal really was another world.

We only had fancy cereal when visiting my Gran in Wicklow and sugar puff were/are rank..

They must have brought Honey Monster back as I remember Honey Monster well into the 90s, these ads are 1988 according to Google.

They must have brought Honey Monster back as I remember Honey Monster well into the 90s, these ads are 1988 according to Google.
really ? I stand corrected are indeed from 1988. I saw them on TV much more recently. was thinking he was looking well but they obviously did rerun them.
as I never saw these in the 80's I thought they were from 2000's. the kids look my generation alright and JCC much younger so I should have spotted that.

Old JCC is responsible for some abysmal records it has to be said

I'm sure I remember those stickers. Maybe that was the only time we got sugar puffs outside of xmas, just for the stickers.

But then we put them on our schoolbooks and all the hillbillies and townies slagged us off for being "showing off fancy fuckers, eating sugar puffs when it's not even christmas".

I can't believe JCC sold out like that. I'll have to speak to the mother-in-law about that, she's a big fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back