• Replies 17
  • Views 1K
  • Watchers 2

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I had a few quid to spend on some music stuff, and of course am trapped in a spiral of indecision. I have an old set of M-Audio BX8 Studiophile monitors that could probably do with an upgrade. Was thinking of getting Yamaha HS8 ... but then also wondering if I'd be better off getting an Avantone MixCube, or maybe one of the HS8S subwoofers instead

Any thoughts? What are ye using for monitoring?

(I actually do most of my mixing/recording on headphones, so maybe I should buy a new mic or 2 instead)

I'm pretty sure I have the same monitors as you and am happy enough. Unless you know the room really well I'm not sure if new monitors are a good idea. A mixcube is all about he mids I think, not great for low and high end detail, unles I'm thinking of something else. If I'm thinking of the right ones I wouldn't use them as a primary monitor. Wouldn't mind them as an option though, or some NS10's. Usually I just stick an EQ as the last thing on my master bus if I want that effect and cut below 200 and above 4k, which is the most mportant part of your mix to get right. Room tratement is not sexy at all, and it's not an option for me as I mix in a corner of my bedroom.

Would you consider sonarworks? You buy a measuring mic and it runs a correction EQ curve on your room based on what it detects. Was a big help for me. They also have corrective cuves for many types of headphones.

There's always the option of more headphones too. A pair of open backed ones (which tend to be pricey) to compliment closed back?

Any thoughts? What are ye using for monitoring?

Same monitors as you I think. (have had them for a decade)
Sennheiser HD 25s (have them about 4-5 years)
Sennheiser HD650's (my end of year bonus purchase a couple of months ago, pricey, but brilliant)

Also use sonarworks, always on at the start of a mix but I might turn it off at some point for a change in perspective.

Snap on the HD 25s! Have them since 2001 I think, still going strong. Have a pair of Grado SR 80s (open-backed) too. Normally I mix using the HD 25s cos that's what I listen to music on all day long, so I know them well, then re-balance on the Grados, then I check stuff on the monitors

... and then if it's a Stoat song I pay someone else to finish it off. Want to start releasing some (groove-based) solo stuff, which I won't be able afford to pay a mixer to do, and I find that the bottom end is a bit floppy on the monitors which is why I was thinking of upgrading

Wow, sonarworks is pricey for some software innit?

I am gonna give you some advice...seeing as though you asked.

Take the money and save up some more and buy Genelecs. Or equivalent. No less than €1000. Or get them used. Life is short, if this is your passion get the best you can possibly finagle and be set for life. The difference will be worth it

Your room is garbage. But you don't need to measure it. Like measure it once for curiosity ,Ill lend you the mic. Unless you're planning on going full middle age gearslutz style on it.. which you arent..

Just get the first reflection points sorted and don't worry anymore about it.

Get a decent pair of headphones. (I have the sennheisers as well but I don't use them. My shed sounds just like them.) Oh hang on you already have cans you know and love..stick with them.

Job done.

As an aside the better treated your room is the better sound you get on the vocal mic..but your vocals always sound great anyway so I wouldnt worry about that either

The only thing that came to mind to me was those vocal mini screens for mounting on a mic stand. Agree with @GO in that if you are getting monitors, go hard or go home. Maybe for earphones Beyerdynamaic DT100's - these sound pronounced compared to other headphones and are great for spotting stuff that is gonna cause trouble, they aren't pleasant for recording so much, i use commercial ones and then bounce over and back to these for fault finding.

only if you have space for a second mic stand

I was just thinking there as I was painting a bathroom ceiling... someone with a big fancy boss level job shouldnt be even asking this question!

I ratted along with garbage for years and it destroyed my music

Just get fucking awesome monitors no expense spared ..and a top level interface. RME.

The difference in sound between RME and Focusrite Scarlett is astonishing...although the untrained ear wouldn't hear it

Its not like they'll be going to waste! Get them and listen to your favourite cds and be amazed

I love sitting in me shed listening to the sound of music

Last edited:
Sennheiser HD650's (my end of year bonus purchase a couple of months ago, pricey, but brilliant)
i have a pair of one of the precursors to these - the HD580. bought in either 1997 or 1999 i think, IR£150 and probably some of the best money i've ever spent. they're still going, though the foam in the headband perished over a decade ago and the ones in the earmuffs aren't exactly as firm as they used to be.

i have a pair of one of the precursors to these - the HD580. bought in either 1997 or 1999 i think, IR£150 and probably some of the best money i've ever spent. they're still going, though the foam in the headband perished over a decade ago and the ones in the earmuffs aren't exactly as firm as they used to be.

You should be able to get replacement parts

i was told once that they don't make replacement earmuffs anymore, but it seems now after a quick google that they do.

Glad they're still available, part of the reason got the 650s was because replacement parts are available for them. All going well I'll still be listening on my Trigger's Broom headphones for years to come

Last edited:
So I didn't buy new monitors in the end, because I used the LFSineTones file here Chapter 1: Nearfield Monitors just to listen and see how the room responded, and it turns out there are some v large resonances around 50Hz, 117Hz and a couple of other places. I spent 200 odd quid on sound absorption and it's made a small difference, but there's still (for example) a 6dB difference between the G on the low string of a bass and the C above it.

For illustration - I set up a mic, played the LFSineTones file through the speakers and recorded what came out. When I set up the speakers outside all the notes were obviously at the same volume, but this is what it's like in the room. No way I can do a decent mix with the room responding like this, I think

I've kinda run out of room to put more absorbers in, unless I hang them from the ceiling. Dunno if there's any point in throwing good money after bad, might just get a fancy set of headphones

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-18 at 17.50.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-18 at 17.50.51.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 2
So I didn't buy new monitors in the end, because I used the LFSineTones file here Chapter 1: Nearfield Monitors just to listen and see how the room responded, and it turns out there are some v large resonances around 50Hz, 117Hz and a couple of other places. I spent 200 odd quid on sound absorption and it's made a small difference, but there's still (for example) a 6dB difference between the G on the low string of a bass and the C above it.

For illustration - I set up a mic, played the LFSineTones file through the speakers and recorded what came out. When I set up the speakers outside all the notes were obviously at the same volume, but this is what it's like in the room. No way I can do a decent mix with the room responding like this, I think

I've kinda run out of room to put more absorbers in, unless I hang them from the ceiling. Dunno if there's any point in throwing good money after bad, might just get a fancy set of headphones

What's your budget?

I would advise to factor in the cost of the following:

1. soinarworks
2. GoodHz can opener

1. will compensate for the colour of whatever headphones you get and flatten out the eq response. there are an extensive list of headphones you can use with it

2. some sort of crosstalk thing to deal with the issues caused by only hearing the left in the left and the right in the the right in headphones

Nonsense. Although you definitely need absorption above your head.

I haven't analysed my shed because there's no point, just did the best I could with absorbers ,there are lots of thick ones ,and got on with it. You are never realistically going to retrofit a domestic room to be anywhere near flat

Get a pair of decent monitors and listen to the everliving shit out of them. Like I'm talking about sitting there listening to music for a few hours every night. Which is no chore.
Run a spectral analyser the whole time and learn what a balanced mix looks like.

Check the bass in the car. Which is something I don't have to do anymore even.

You'll be knocking out mixes you love in no time.

Also , don't forget,an overly balanced mix is probably a boring one.

This is what worked for me. I wasted a lot of time..years in fact.. by not investing the right money in good speakers. But I didn't have it to spend so whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back