• Replies 14
  • Views 428
  • Watchers 2

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I had a few quid to spend on some music stuff, and of course am trapped in a spiral of indecision. I have an old set of M-Audio BX8 Studiophile monitors that could probably do with an upgrade. Was thinking of getting Yamaha HS8 ... but then also wondering if I'd be better off getting an Avantone MixCube, or maybe one of the HS8S subwoofers instead

Any thoughts? What are ye using for monitoring?

(I actually do most of my mixing/recording on headphones, so maybe I should buy a new mic or 2 instead)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
I'm pretty sure I have the same monitors as you and am happy enough. Unless you know the room really well I'm not sure if new monitors are a good idea. A mixcube is all about he mids I think, not great for low and high end detail, unles I'm thinking of something else. If I'm thinking of the right ones I wouldn't use them as a primary monitor. Wouldn't mind them as an option though, or some NS10's. Usually I just stick an EQ as the last thing on my master bus if I want that effect and cut below 200 and above 4k, which is the most mportant part of your mix to get right. Room tratement is not sexy at all, and it's not an option for me as I mix in a corner of my bedroom.

Would you consider sonarworks? You buy a measuring mic and it runs a correction EQ curve on your room based on what it detects. Was a big help for me. They also have corrective cuves for many types of headphones.

There's always the option of more headphones too. A pair of open backed ones (which tend to be pricey) to compliment closed back?

Any thoughts? What are ye using for monitoring?

Same monitors as you I think. (have had them for a decade)
Sennheiser HD 25s (have them about 4-5 years)
Sennheiser HD650's (my end of year bonus purchase a couple of months ago, pricey, but brilliant)

Also use sonarworks, always on at the start of a mix but I might turn it off at some point for a change in perspective.

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Snap on the HD 25s! Have them since 2001 I think, still going strong. Have a pair of Grado SR 80s (open-backed) too. Normally I mix using the HD 25s cos that's what I listen to music on all day long, so I know them well, then re-balance on the Grados, then I check stuff on the monitors

... and then if it's a Stoat song I pay someone else to finish it off. Want to start releasing some (groove-based) solo stuff, which I won't be able afford to pay a mixer to do, and I find that the bottom end is a bit floppy on the monitors which is why I was thinking of upgrading

Wow, sonarworks is pricey for some software innit?

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
I am gonna give you some advice...seeing as though you asked.

Take the money and save up some more and buy Genelecs. Or equivalent. No less than €1000. Or get them used. Life is short, if this is your passion get the best you can possibly finagle and be set for life. The difference will be worth it

Your room is garbage. But you don't need to measure it. Like measure it once for curiosity ,Ill lend you the mic. Unless you're planning on going full middle age gearslutz style on it.. which you arent..

Just get the first reflection points sorted and don't worry anymore about it.

Get a decent pair of headphones. (I have the sennheisers as well but I don't use them. My shed sounds just like them.) Oh hang on you already have cans you know and love..stick with them.

Job done.

As an aside the better treated your room is the better sound you get on the vocal mic..but your vocals always sound great anyway so I wouldnt worry about that either

ann post

Solutions
The only thing that came to mind to me was those vocal mini screens for mounting on a mic stand. Agree with @GO in that if you are getting monitors, go hard or go home. Maybe for earphones Beyerdynamaic DT100's - these sound pronounced compared to other headphones and are great for spotting stuff that is gonna cause trouble, they aren't pleasant for recording so much, i use commercial ones and then bounce over and back to these for fault finding.

only if you have space for a second mic stand

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
I was just thinking there as I was painting a bathroom ceiling... someone with a big fancy boss level job shouldnt be even asking this question!

I ratted along with garbage for years and it destroyed my music

Just get fucking awesome monitors no expense spared ..and a top level interface. RME.

The difference in sound between RME and Focusrite Scarlett is astonishing...although the untrained ear wouldn't hear it

Its not like they'll be going to waste! Get them and listen to your favourite cds and be amazed

I love sitting in me shed listening to the sound of music

Last edited:

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
Sennheiser HD650's (my end of year bonus purchase a couple of months ago, pricey, but brilliant)
i have a pair of one of the precursors to these - the HD580. bought in either 1997 or 1999 i think, IR£150 and probably some of the best money i've ever spent. they're still going, though the foam in the headband perished over a decade ago and the ones in the earmuffs aren't exactly as firm as they used to be.

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
i have a pair of one of the precursors to these - the HD580. bought in either 1997 or 1999 i think, IR£150 and probably some of the best money i've ever spent. they're still going, though the foam in the headband perished over a decade ago and the ones in the earmuffs aren't exactly as firm as they used to be.

You should be able to get replacement parts

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
i was told once that they don't make replacement earmuffs anymore, but it seems now after a quick google that they do.

Glad they're still available, part of the reason got the 650s was because replacement parts are available for them. All going well I'll still be listening on my Trigger's Broom headphones for years to come

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

21 Day Calendar

Lightning Bolt
Whelans
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland
UK Subs + The Outcasts + The Lee Harveys
Grand Social
35 Liffey St. Lower, North City, Dublin, D01 C3N0, Ireland
Flogging Molly + Paranoid Visions
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Minami Deutsch - Whelans August 20
Whelans, Wexford Street
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin, D02 H527, Ireland
We Come In Pieces at Fibbers with SUpport from The Nilz plus more
Fibbers
80/81 Parnell St, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 CK74, Ireland
Panikatax, Chimers (Australia), Fierce Shook, Carpark Sci-fi
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Trouble Pilgrims + Thrash Blues play the Alternative Sunday Social Club in The Wild Duck
The Wild Duck
17/20 Sycamore St, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland

Latest Activity

Loading…

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads