Student/dole eating (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 1
this is good, cheap, and nutritious.

boil a bag of lentils with a bit of curry-type spices or leaves until mushy. add some tesco value chopped tomatos and more curry-esque spices and leaves and simmer.
get cheap veg of your choice and fry until cooked. add to the lentilslop.
serve with cheap rice or whatever you please.
make a big pot, get some plastic containers (like the kind you get your chinese meals in) and freeze whatever you dont eat.

i reckon you could make 5 dinner sized portions of this for about €5 and it can taste great if you get the spices right.

roxy said:
Other than that, go to LIDL or ALDI for pasta, fruit, veg, some meat, pulses, dairy, bread, confectionery. Seriously. You'd be amazed how much you'd save.

What Roxy said. I started shopping in Lidl and Aldi earlier in the year and savings are astounding (especially considering that I used do the weekly shopping in Superquinn).

Whats your daily diet like, codez? Lobster stuffed with gold for breakfast?

I'm on a diet at the moment. I had a smoothie and a slice of wholegrain toast for lunch. Ravenous, so I am.

Lefty Frizzell said:
They're both loaded with carbs.:rolleyes:

Yes. Carbs that will provide me with the energy needed for my excruciating training regime. 1 1/2 stone by my birthday. It going to happen!

I just ate two boiled sweets though, next stop my thighs! I'm such a pig!

jack nance hair said:
What Roxy said. I started shopping in Lidl and Aldi earlier in the year and savings are astounding (especially considering that I used do the weekly shopping in Superquinn).

They do a good line in tinned turkey, and cheese that has ham in it.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Much preferr the jumper-in-a-bag technique myself - i.e. put a large jumper in your bag-for-life and stick anything pricey (meats usually) under the jumper, with the noodles and such on top of it. Only take out and pay for the top stuff at the counter. *sligh* ah student days...
That was cool right up until you paid for the noodles! jaysus did the slits teach you nothing? talk to the cashier so he won't suspect
A friend of a friend used to go into the likes of supervalue or tesco and fill up two large shopping bags and walk right out. She got caught once I think.
(A bit of a funny topic for me to discuss considering I nearly got robbed. Circle of life and all that...)

I don't know if you did this in your student days and I know you probably do better things on a saturday night with your friends, but you can get loads of perfectly edible tins of food in a supervalue skip. You may have to hop over a high fence, but you will really appreciate your food more.

Or next time you are at your parents house load up on their food. You're young, you still have your prodigal son charm.

The tins of food in skips is NOT edible.
Sorry to shatter that idea, but I'm sure you're not a fan of weil's disease.

Sneak/get into parties that have free food. You can claim you're a photographer (which wouldn't be entirely inaccurate). When you get pics, post em under that fancy new Pic's thread.

seanc said:

is a relatively rare bacterial infection in humans. The infection is commonly transmitted to humans by allowing fresh water that has been contaminated by animal urine to come in contact with unhealed breaks in the skin, eyes or with the mucous membranes.
are you pulling my leg? :confused:

Supermarkets throw out loads of still edible food simply because it's past or nearing it's sell by date or has even slightly damaged packaging. It's still good.

They also throw all the fish and rotten meat into the same skips>>>>Lots of rats (bad) then>>>>lots of cats (good), but that's not the point!

Supermarkets don't throw out nearly as much canned food as you might think. They get returns and all sorts of other shady retail shenanigans. They defo throw out a lot more rotten fish and veg and meat, which is nasty. Especially nasty since they throw it out in the morn, and you'll be rummaging around at night

seanc said:

Sneak/get into parties that have free food. You can claim you're a photographer (which wouldn't be entirely inaccurate). When you get pics, post em under that fancy new Pic's thread.

i think i had this weils disease for about 45 seconds once. I drank from a bottle of budweiser (hey, i was 15), then i started losing my hearing, and slowly everything went white and i couldnt see anything. i made a beeline for the pub door (luckily stored in my mental map) and projectile vomited (i mean projectile) over some unlucky punter who was on the way in for a pint.

and then i was fine.

dunno what the fuck happened to me.

seanc said:
They also throw all the fish and rotten meat into the same skips>>>>Lots of rats (bad) then>>>>lots of cats (good), but that's not the point!

Supermarkets don't throw out nearly as much canned food as you might think. They get returns and all sorts of other shady retail shenanigans. They defo throw out a lot more rotten fish and veg and meat, which is nasty. Especially nasty since they throw it out in the morn, and you'll be rummaging around at night

Ha
Obviously you've never lived off what Marks and spencers throw away. Stuffed vine leaves, posh cheese platters, pizza, hummous, those pre-made salad bowls complete with sachet of dressing, seriously, when you don't know what you're on about why say anything?
If triangleyoung'un has found tinned stuff then some place has been throwing out tinned stuff.
What's the point in telling her they don't?

i used to work in a supermarket and i know that the stuff that they just threw out in the bins was stuff that was very gone off..they also used to pour bleach into the bins so that people couldnt take the stuff...

and seanc is right that often meat and fish will go into the same bins..i dont think sean was bein a prick to trianglegrrl, i think he was just talking bout the situation he knows about..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back