Student/dole eating (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 1
pic_dole_1.jpg

*sigh

bin food is tasty. most of it is in plastic so rats piss/gone off meat/bin goo isn't an issue. but a bit of a clean does wonders for fruit and veg. supermarkets don't just throw out stuff when its well out of date, they throw it out once it's past its sell-by date, which isn't even sometimes its "best before" (advice!) and and hardly ever "use by" (which doesn't always mean use by) dates (i'm talking about packed goods here not stuff like meat, milk, etc).

if you are a little picky try starting out with the bins of say, a bakery; it's all bread and baked goodies, nothing dodge. once you've eaten your way through enough dohnuts to make you feel sick you'll never look back.

does m&s still lock its bins/pour ink all over the place. even with the ink (you could chew around it), it was damn fine eatin.

Quinoi (pronounced keen-wah) and probably spelled wrong is a wonder food, use it instead of rice, boil up some red lentils with some spices until it's all mushy and serve with a hunk of brown bread.
Cheap and nutritious!

mazzyianne said:
Ha
Obviously you've never lived off what Marks and spencers throw away. Stuffed vine leaves, posh cheese platters, pizza, hummous, those pre-made salad bowls complete with sachet of dressing, seriously, when you don't know what you're on about why say anything?
If triangleyoung'un has found tinned stuff then some place has been throwing out tinned stuff.
What's the point in telling her they don't?

ummmm, What muffin said.
:rolleyes:

aoifed said:
Giving up booze and fags always saves me tons.

thats probably the best advice ever given to anyone on thumped. the ammount of money I wasted on tobaco products as a nipper, while at the same time trying to scape mould off my last piece of cheese

trianglegrrrl said:
are you pulling my leg? :confused:

Supermarkets throw out loads of still edible food simply because it's past or nearing it's sell by date or has even slightly damaged packaging. It's still good.

one phrase that was common in the countryside in my youth

'a rat could have pissed on that'

probably grand if you wash it.

todd_landers said:
Quinoi (pronounced keen-wah) and probably spelled wrong is a wonder food, use it instead of rice, boil up some red lentils with some spices until it's all mushy and serve with a hunk of brown bread.
Cheap and nutritious!

its great alright, but i've never found it cheap in dublin.. price seems to be around €3 for 500g, which is crazy expensive to my scabby self. know where i can find it cheaper?

Lads, if you're arguing about the quality of food you find in skips then I think there's something amiss. I'm going to pm a tenner to each of you.

sometimes at the end of the night in a pub i go around drinking everyone's half-full pints they've left behind. can i have twenty?

Well I must admit myself that sometimes I have had to go for the pre-theatre menu in a restaurant when I have no plans to use my box at the theatre that evening. Thankfully, this only ever happens on the day before payday.

Ther barman in Toners on Baggot Street often gives away his toasted sambos in the evening. so just prop yourself at the bar and wait to be fed.

todd_landers said:
Cheap and nutritious!
You mean Quinoa. It's 2 euro for 500g Munster Wholefoods, usually stocked by small independent health food shops. It is really high in protein and was the staple food of the Incas. You can mix it with rice as it's very small grain, but I prefer it as it is because it's quite fluffy. Definetly recommend it to any poor vegetarian. Boil up a cup of quinoa, some frozen oriental vegetables and eat with a slosh of soy sauce. Really healthy!

trianglegrrrl said:
You mean Quinoa. It's 2 euro for 500g Munster Wholefoods, usually stocked by small independent health food shops. It is really high in protein and was the staple food of the Incas. You can mix it with rice as it's very small grain, but I prefer it as it is because it's quite fluffy. Definetly recommend it to any poor vegetarian. Boil up a cup of quinoa, some frozen oriental vegetables and eat with a slosh of soy sauce. Really healthy!

A friend of mine makes these really nice quinoa burger type things, not the kind you'd put in a burger bun... patties...quinoa cakes...i dunno...:confused:

They're amazing. You just fry em, splash em in soya sauce and oh my.
I think the recipie involves gram flour and grated carrots and scallions.
mmmmmmmmm
Tamarack... are you out there... hello.... the recipe...

broken arm said:
Ther barman in Toners on Baggot Street often gives away his toasted sambos in the evening. so just prop yourself at the bar and wait to be fed.

Many pubs do this. It is true and tasty.

A mate of mine once missed his train, so we went for a pint with an hour to kill. The barman gave us both a full roast dinner each. No sexual favours required or anything, twas deadly.

damien said:
sometimes at the end of the night in a pub i go around drinking everyone's half-full pints they've left behind. can i have twenty?

i remember you and oly waitin for people to leave food in iskanders then goin over and eatin what they'd left..and that was when yr ma was still buyin all yr food!!jayzus..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back