Steve Jobs Legacy (1 Viewer)

If steve jobs was the genius everyone is sayin he was, how come my iPod didn't stop working when I posted that?

the-sopranos-christopher-adriana.jpg

Christopher: When you're bleeding a guy you don't squeeze him dry right away. Contrarily, you let him do his bidding suavely. So you can bleed him next week and the week after at minimum.

I can't tell if you're trolling, or just missing the point.

United States v. Microsoft.

As much as people are complaining about the iOS 'walled garden', Apple have not been the subject of any antitrust action. Yet.
yes, but that's not indicative because they don't have to bully PC vendors into shipping their OS or browser; they control the hardware too. not saying they would have if they didn't, but wouldn't surprise me. do they bundle other companies' browsers with OSX?

At the moment Apple produces the leading consumer electronic devices. They're very user friendly and Jobs will be remembered for turning around Apple and producing very user friendly products. But that's about it. Apple haven't produced anything truly original - they've just taken existing ideas and made them easier to use. Microsoft has had a far more profound impact on technology - and Google is now leading the way in software. Amazon defined retailing on the internet. Oracle set the standard with databases. Motorola, Ericsson and Nokia paved the way with mobile phones. Apple's big impact is with GUIs.

Jobs was an arsehole. But then every executive in every big company is an arsehole in some way. You've got to remember that these are people who want to be in charge of everyone else. We all remember these kinds of kids from the school ground and these are the kids we didn't like. But yeah... Jobs did a brilliant job at being in charge of Apple.

I fucking hate Excel. Excel-based systems are like bad DIY jobs done at home (badly designed and probably very dangerous).

xerox also invented the mouse. and didn't patent it either. the mouse obviously reached its peak with the apple hockey puck model.

one way to determine jobs's legacy is to imagine a world where he never existed. computers may be slightly more awkward to use - and what else?

yes, but that's not indicative because they don't have to bully PC vendors into shipping their OS or browser; they control the hardware too. not saying they would have if they didn't, but wouldn't surprise me. do they bundle other companies' browsers with OSX?
I wasn't saying that Apple aren't an evil company, just using that particular case to explain part of why Microsoft are seen as the "Evil Empire" by some people. Usually the same people who call them "Micro$oft" or some shit.

magicbastarder said:
one way to determine jobs's legacy is to imagine a world where he never existed. computers may be slightly more awkward to use - and what else?
[em]Slightly[/em] more awkward? I really don't think you're giving Apple enough credit. There's an argument to be made that, without apple, GUIs might never have caught on. Certainly not in the direction that they did.

When I heard Steve Jobs had stepped down as CEO, I imagined what would happen if Apple just went away suddenly and I was forced back to using Windows or -- ugh -- Linux. Honestly, if I had to go back to a world where I had to spend a half a day configuring my X86Config file to try and get more than a 640x480 display, I would honestly just quit computers altogether and go become a butcher or something. Nothing is worth that bullshit.

Apple haven't produced anything truly original - they've just taken existing ideas and made them easier to use.

and Google is now leading the way in software

I was under the impression that google are not leading in any way in software and basically do that thing you said about apple up there?

scutter; ? You had some rant about this?

I was under the impression that google are not leading in any way in software and basically do that thing you said about apple up there?

@scutter ; ? You had some rant about this?

my rant would be along the same lines as my rant on apple. google are no innovators. They are an advertising company but have branched out into copy/improve/destroy territory. They want to have their hands in everything, but mostly wanting to have their hands in everything is motivated by a means to extend their outlets for gathering data on people so they can sell more advertising.

I h8 google but to be fair to them, they do what they do extremely well. I just don't know how they sleep at night with all the underhanded shit that goes on.

my rant would be along the same lines as my rant on apple. google are no innovators. They are an advertising company but have branched out into copy/improve/destroy territory. They want to have their hands in everything, but mostly wanting to have their hands in everything is motivated by a means to extend their outlets for gathering data on people so they can sell more advertising.

I h8 google but to be fair to them, they do what they do extremely well. I just don't know how they sleep at night with all the underhanded shit that goes on.

Google Ireland takes in €10.1bn – and pays €15.3m in tax

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/go...10-1bn-and-pays-e15-3m-in-tax-250088-Oct2011/

Google's search was a fairly giant leap forward, I remember first seeing it when it was still a stanford.edu subdomain and it kicked the ass of altavista/yahoo even then.

right it was great, but nothing new. Not sure who was first in there (one of the ones you mentioned or maybe lycos) but they improved things to the extent that they practically wiped everything else out.

indexing has been going on since the dawn of time and I don't necessarily thing google revolutionised how indexing was done. If memory serves the big thing for them was that the speed results are returned is more important to people than the accuracy of the results returned. And they were right.

the original pagerank algorithm was incredible compared to what else was available at the time

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back