Steve Jobs Legacy (1 Viewer)

It funny that Microsoft created Excel (to my mind the pinnacle of software achievement), they allowed anything to run on windows and they essentially created a tax on every business on the planet through upgrades which was channelled via the Gates foundation to the third world.

Apple has given us iTunes (the worst piece of shit imaginable), a completely closed off OS whey they control what apps are allowed and make no charitable contributions.

Yet MS are the evil empire?

It funny that Microsoft created Excel (to my mind the pinnacle of software achievement), they allowed anything to run on windows and they essentially created a tax on every business on the planet through upgrades which was channelled via the Gates foundation to the third world.

Apple has given us iTunes (the worst piece of shit imaginable), a completely closed off OS whey they control what apps are allowed and make no charitable contributions.

ooh, I'm totally nicking that

For me the locked in part comes into play with iTunes. It is first and foremost a cash cow for Apple. It is infuriatingly non-user friendly. Hard drive crashes and you only have your songs on your iPod? Fuck you. Wanna take songs from your work computer and put them on your iPod? Tough shit. Every other player on the market is a portable external HD. The idea of him being some iconoclastic altruist doesn't ring true to me. I love my iPod, I fucking HATE iTunes.

I assume because you dislike itunes, you stopped using it ages ago?

"if you press his head and his bellybutton at the same time will he reset"
:-0

VxejY.jpg

I assume because you dislike itunes, you stopped using it ages ago?

Not yet, I'm trying to find a way. It's like Facebook, it's not easy to break away from.
I use media monkey and if I was in Ireland I'd just buy and rip and use mediamonky to manage the library.
But that's not an option here, I can't build up a huge stockpile of CDs so for the moment purchasing from iTunes is the most straightforward option,

I have to use it for my iPod.
It makes you its bitch.

i thought there was a billion hacks around this, but i've never owned one so i could be talking shit.

Not yet, I'm trying to find a way. It's like Facebook, it's not easy to break away from.
I use media monkey and if I was in Ireland I'd just buy and rip and use mediamonky to manage the library.
But that's not an option here, I can't build up a huge stockpile of CDs so for the moment purchasing from iTunes is the most straightforward option,

http://cogx.org/

a mate uses that on mac and swears by it, its awfully similar to itunes, with less of the backround hard drive crap that itunes loves so dearly.

Tease that one out for me a bit there would you please? Not disagreeing, just interested in the reasoning.

Excel is huge, it's the tool I use every day and I'm still only familiar with a tiny fraction of what it's capable of.
There is nothing that matches it. From grannies household budget to data analysis at CERN - there is no other tool as powerful or with as broad a reach.

itunes is the only piece of software i've ever installed which hosed my computer to the point i *had* to rebuild.
it was almost genius with how much it fucked the computer - it'd boot, but one symptom was it'd ignore most keypresses. you hit the w key, and it might echo on the screen on the first keypress, or might take until the 20th keypress.

luck played a large part in jobs's success; as it does for anyone like that. the cube mac was a flop for them, and that pretty server they made certainly didn't set the world alight, because people generally don't like looking at or bother fetishising servers.

i have a mac mini at home. it hasn't been used in six months, because it's not able to run my 22" trinitron at 1600x1200 any higher than 60Hz (which my seven year old PC can do). also, if you don't use a mac keyboard, to be able to use @ and " in the positions you want requires downloading an unsupported third party keyboard driver which has no effect in a lot of applications.

apple are great, if you don't mind being hegemonised.

I can't tell if you're trolling, or just missing the point.

United States v. Microsoft.

As much as people are complaining about the iOS 'walled garden', Apple have not been the subject of any antitrust action. Yet.

All I want is something as idiot proof as garage band that also runs baldurs gate.

ah thats not him, thats the whole electronics industry really coupled with the western desire to consume and the after effects of the regime of chairman mao.. i wouldnt blame Jobs because there is always a prick waiting to jump into his shoes if his company doesn't lock shit down. its a case of supply and demand more than anything. also i started a thread about being a cunt a few weeks back and was suitably derided for it. mormon, i'll catch you in the foxconn thread in a few mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back