Steve Gunn (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
I'm listening to his latest album The Unseen In Between.

He's really, really good. It sounds like Jim O'Rourke, David Grubbs, Television, Isaac Guillory and lots more.

I know he's played in Ireland a few times before... I hope he plays here again.

I heard of his name... Kim Gordon has been raving about him so I thought I'd check it out.

I have that album Way Out Weather which I really like. Would that be a good one or a middling one does anyone know. He used to play with Kurt Vile, right?

I have that album Way Out Weather which I really like. Would that be a good one or a middling one does anyone know. He used to play with Kurt Vile, right?

He did play with Vile - The War On Drugs? I've never listened to them, but my friend stated, "it's hard to believe two quality musicians could be in a band so shit."

Way Out Weather is good for sure. The title track is a rolling, moiling holy beauty. I think he's getting away from the droney folk fingerpicking which is his bread, butter, cheese and ham - harks back to rich singer/songwriters from the 70s like John Martyn or Tim Buckley who had serious guitar playing chops. His voice has that 40 Bensons "she kept me up all night" Martyn quality. They're not bikeshed Bensons, that's for sure.

I just wish the production was a little rougher.

Saw him in York, the worst town in England, on Way Out Weather. I think he comes across miles better live. He's just an old-school hardened road warrior that is endlessly touring.

I much prefer the album he did before - Time Off. It's less ambitious, less produced. Hits you more. Lurker and Old Strange off that album are serious fingerpicking folky righteous gems - the way he works the melody is goosebumps at certain points.

He's a nice man too. I'll say that for him.

Is York really the worst town in England? I was thinking of going there next month for a few hours.

I did my MA there, and soon grew to despise the homogeneous, middle class nature of it. So, I hold a special bias.

If you go, make sure you hit all the secondhand/charity bookstores. I got some great stuff cheap in my time there.

I ended my days there working 50/60 hours a week as a caregiver. I was going down, all the way down. Just lucky to get out when I did.

I was bored out of my arse there most of the time, my balls riled up by a seemingly massive population of hot young Chinese wans - and otherwise being riled up by smug, upper middle class Brits. but that said there are some nice coffeeshops to sit and read in. Recommend Bison Coffee on Heslington Rd.

Bradford has way more character. The most shat on city in England, but it's actually quite interesting.

I wasn't a big fan of Bournemouth...
Luton is amazingly shit.
Nottingham is also a contender.

Warrington , so shit.

What's Leeds like? I'm going there for a weekend but I imagine a couple of hours would be enough hence the day trip to York.

Go to Bradford. Even the bus is quite close. Train is minutes. There's an evocative old mill area in Bradford which is far more authentic than York's "fake" Viking wall.

You won't find any bookstores.

Both have their draws for a few hours.

Warrington , so shit.

What's Leeds like? I'm going there for a weekend but I imagine a couple of hours would be enough hence the day trip to York.
My wife went to university there - but that was back in the early 90's.
It's a big city... a bit rough in places... the surrounding areas are really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back