Stereolab (1 Viewer)

Favourite album?

• Chemical Chords

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Space Age / Body Study / Microbe Hunters / Instant 0 / Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I had the same problem on Mozilla on my Mac a few months ago for another gig. I use the iPhone app now, that seems to be the most reliable way.

I never really explored Stereolab, I love the releases they did with NWW but the album I eventually bought by them was really dull (Chemical Chords). I listened to two albums today (Mars Audiac Quintet and Dots and Loops) and I have to admit, I’m struggling to hear the genius that everyone is attributing to them. There are a couple of tracks on MAQ that get into a cool Krautrock flow but essentially they are just knocking off Neu and Harmonia. The rest of it sounds like that band Nouvelle Vague doing covers of Tortoise using the keyboard preset “Dreary Organ Sound”. I’ll be saving my money.

I had the same problem on Mozilla on my Mac a few months ago for another gig. I use the iPhone app now, that seems to be the most reliable way.

I never really explored Stereolab, I love the releases they did with NWW but the album I eventually bought by them was really dull (Chemical Chords). I listened to two albums today (Mars Audiac Quintet and Dots and Loops) and I have to admit, I’m struggling to hear the genius that everyone is attributing to them. There are a couple of tracks on MAQ that get into a cool Krautrock flow but essentially they are just knocking off Neu and Harmonia. The rest of it sounds like that band Nouvelle Vague doing covers of Tortoise using the keyboard preset “Dreary Organ Sound”. I’ll be saving my money.
And I don’t like Nouvelle Vague or Tortoise for the record.

Picked up one earlier. Maybe im underestimating their popularity but will this sell out fairly quickly? Would have thought not but wasn't taking the risk at the same time
was wondering the same. I was at the tripod gig and don't remember there being the same fuss about it. They had just released a new album (chemical chords?) at the time and it was a bit underwhelming.

Laetitia Sadier has also recently played a couple of shows with Monade. All of these shows were put on by a smaller promotor (Maximum Joy), the Stereloab one in conjunction with POD (and I know he didn't find them the easiest to work with). He wouldn't have had the resources to really push word out about the show in the same way that someone like MCD or Aiken could. In saying that, I know he was more than happy with the turnout, though whether it sold out or not, I don't recall.

I love Chemical Chords! Some great Motowny numbers in there. 'Self Portrait with "Electric Brain"' is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

Tried 3 different browsers yesterday so I don't think it was that.

Another thing I read today was that 'Pack Yr Romantic Mind' on Transient originally sampled 'Wonderwall' by George Harrison and they didn't get clearance for the sample from Apple. They wouldn't have minded if they were self-releasing but they had just got a worldwide distro deal with Elektra and had to frantically collect the masters and redo a similar sounding bit last minute.

Another thing I read today was that 'Pack Yr Romantic Mind' on Transient originally sampled 'Wonderwall' by George Harrison and they didn't get clearance for the sample from Apple. They wouldn't have minded if they were self-releasing but they had just got a worldwide distro deal with Elektra and had to frantically collect the masters and redo a similar sounding bit last minute.
Email newsletter? Just read it there now. Really interesting bits and bobs of info on there

great raw camcorder footage from Rough Trade shop from 91.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back