Steely Dan - Gaucho (1980) (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 168
  • Views 16K
  • Watchers 4
95 quid or something like that. No thanks.

gave this it's first spin (for me) of 2018. Still amazing. There was loads of Steeley Dan on the radio over new year's too cos of those lads not being alive anymore. I think it'll be a 2018 thing for me to go through their whole back catalog. So good.

Queen (AMAZING) or Steely Dan (AWFUL).

i can't make head nor tails of it all.

I can't make head nor tail of this statement, but was provoked into response by sheer shock.

Queen are absolute garbage. They're so fucking bad. Lyrically at least this sarky Fagen business is interesting...the songs have some semblance of narrative.

Queen are LCD guff with technical proficiency holding up a hollow, tedious body of work.

Anyway, picked up Gaucho recently for a quid. Been listening to it after I get home from the pub. A classic lonely guy 2 A.M listen.

I don't know what the appeal is. First heard them living with some Americans. Big Black Cow reminded me of the sarky Jim O'Rourke pop stuff.The Americans just insisted it was good old cheesy (AOR?) nonsense, but there's conspicuously a dark, maybe even malicious tone to the lyrics. The lyrics at least gauge my interest which is more than could ever be said for Freddie Mercury.

I've always liked Donald Fagen's voice. It's a pivotal part of the overall appeal.

Steely Dan are like a dirty, dubious yet economically solvent uncle your parents don't want you hanging around with it; you know he's a bad guy, but the craic is too good, so you can't help yourself.

Did you really just throw Queen into that list to troll lonely, overeducated sados like me?

I can't make head nor tail of this statement, but was provoked into response by sheer shock.

Queen are absolute garbage. They're so fucking bad. Lyrically at least this sarky Fagen business is interesting...the songs have some semblance of narrative.

Queen are LCD guff with technical proficiency holding up a hollow, tedious body of work.

Anyway, picked up Gaucho recently for a quid. Been listening to it after I get home from the pub. A classic lonely guy 2 A.M listen.

I don't know what the appeal is. First heard them living with some Americans. Big Black Cow reminded me of the sarky Jim O'Rourke pop stuff.The Americans just insisted it was good old cheesy (AOR?) nonsense, but there's conspicuously a dark, maybe even malicious tone to the lyrics. The lyrics at least gauge my interest which is more than could ever be said for Freddie Mercury.

I've always liked Donald Fagen's voice. It's a pivotal part of the overall appeal.

Steely Dan are like a dirty, dubious yet economically solvent uncle your parents don't want you hanging around with it; you know he's a bad guy, but the craic is too good, so you can't help yourself.

Did you really just throw Queen into that list to troll lonely, overeducated sados like me?
I like stadium rock big pop songs Queen , i've never properly gotten into their other stuff. I understand why some people hate them, I don't even disagree with their reasons, they're kind of just a bit of fun to me. I haven't even bothered watching the film. I think Freddie brings a bit of life to what would otherwise just be, yeah, technical proficiency. In fact, without him they'd just be .... well they'd just be Steely Dan wouldn't they?

No shortage of Steely Dans in 2019; Vulpeck, Lemon Twigs, Foxygen, they're basically the step after math rock, you either go steely dan or krautrock. There hasn't been another Freddie Mercury though.

I don't think either band is < or > but I'm awful worried about 'queen aren't good' comments, which strike me as not being of sound mind. Their greatest hits was a triple album like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back