Steely Dan - Gaucho (1980) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 168
  • Views 16K
  • Watchers 4
3 Listens. I like Time Out of Mind a lot and there are some very musical nice details here and there throughout in the album. Otherwise it's all shameful smooth jazz rock garbage.

1/5

You'd be better off listening to Vienna by Billy Joel if you want this kinda thing.

Last edited:
Vienna? I meant the Stranger.

also this is quite a read, there can't be anything worse than a Steely Dan fan indignantly gushing about one of their albums:

Leave Alexa Alone

The sound of Dan music became as natural and enveloping to me to as the countryside itself. It led me to champion the songs of Becker and Fagen among the self-styled punks I later started hanging out with, provoking j’accuse-like denunciations: I was the enemy within, the guy who liked easy listening.

Last edited:
I was with the Steely Dan haters until about this time last year. A colleague asked me if I liked Steely Dan and I just said that I didn't really get them. He told me I was "ripe" for Steely Dan and that I should listen to Aja as soon as possible. Just after that another Steely Dan fan came in to the room and they had a full on discussion about Aja, mostly about the drumming and other albums that Steve Gadd played on (I forget what albums they are).

At that time I was commuting and I listened to Aja on the bus the next morning. I quite liked it, it still had that Steely Dan thing about it that I didn't like, I didn't think the drumming on the title track was as great as all that and I didn't think I'd still be listening to it by christmas but overall there was enough there for me to commit to listening to it at least a couple of more times. I listened to it a lot over the coming months because it was on my phone and it was a handy choice for the commute. Whatever options I had downloaded, Aja was the fallback when I didn't feel like listening to the others. Also, I often threw it on at home when I just wanted to throw on something without trawling through my collection for something and then it'd be there on top of my Google Music 'Listen Now' page which dragged me into a spiral of Aja which has continued to this day (or at least until last week when Gaucho took over). It was only about two weeks ago that it finally hit me that, fuck, Aja is OMG so good. Can we do Aja next week so that I can re-post this?

I threw on Gaucho a couple of times over the course of 2016, like two or maybe three times. It seemed grand but it didn't seem to have the sparkles and bubbles that I liked about Aja. It seemed grand but kinda flat and dull. How wrong was I! It's even better than Aja. Now I love the flat glossy sheen. It's like a scrying mirror - every note of music, every word, every beat that Wendell played is so precisely placed and they're all placed so sparsely and with so much space that it seems there are no hidden depths and everything is immediately apparent and yet the more you listen the more it seems that this magical world emerges and takes shape around you.

Great choice, album club! Top marks from me for this one.

Steely Dan are fucking magnificent.

I walked around the lentgh and breath of Portarlington last year listening the Citizen Steely Dan..FUCKING ESSENTIAL

It's the very early 70's and the Beatles have split and you want to form a band right? You want to take this pop thing seriously but also lean towards artiness and humour and good musicianship because you're a clever fella. You want great singles because you love pop music but you also want great albums as well because it's the dominant artform of the time.

You either end up with Roxy Music (AMAZING) or Sparks (AMAZING ) or Bowie (AMAZING) or Queen (AMAZING) or Steely Dan (AWFUL).

i can't make head nor tails of it all.

so we have a new problem in that his name is the same as that trump cunt. But anyway, Gaucho keeps making me think of this song.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

which is deadly and which, in turn, reminds me off

which is all the more reason to like gaucho

and this song, which also isn't on gaucho (or even by steely dan)

reminds me of

yet more reasons to like gaucho

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back