pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
No word on when...

The goal of the Steam client project is a fully-featured Steam client running on Ubuntu 12.04. We’ve made good progress this year and now have the Steam client running on Ubuntu with all major features available. We’re still giving attention and effort to minor features but it’s a good experience at the moment. In the near future, we will be setting up an internal beta focusing on the auto-update experience and compatibility testing.

Since the Steam client isn’t much without a game, we’re also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu. This tests the game-related features of the Steam client, in addition to L4D2 gameplay on Ubuntu. Over the last few months, excellent progress has been made on several fronts and it now runs natively on Ubuntu 12.04. We’re working hard to improve the performance and have made good progress (more on that in a future post). Our goal is to have L4D2 performing under Linux as well as it performs under Windows.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

I was trying to run Steam through wine at one stage, but didn't have a lot of luck.
Won't the games have to be Linux compatible too?

I was trying to run Steam through wine at one stage, but didn't have a lot of luck.
Won't the games have to be Linux compatible too?

yeah but once they get one Source engine game working well it should make all the difference

The library is still very small from Mac on Steam compared to windows - I can't see the developers showing ubuntu much love... apart from the indies

i know nothing about game development, but i do know that the video cards in iMacs are waaayyy out of date (by PC gaming standards), even before the latest model is released.

On the other hand, Linux game devs have nVidia's apparently total lack of support to deal with.

Stick with Windows i think.

there's that open sourced type console thats nearly got a kickstarter going aswell. by the time its done it could be a bit less relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back