Staying off the drink (1 Viewer)

After what happened to poor auld Jim I'm convinced I have stomach cancer 50% of the time. Its about finding the balance between hypochondria and being careful innit?

Its about finding the balance between hypochondria and being careful innit?
This is it. If you get worried about something and and get it checked out and it's grand then you're a hypochondriac, if you don't get it checked out and you were right you die. Jimmy's early symptoms were unusual tiredness - tiredness like! Sure who doesn't get unexplainably tired now and again?

So I'm thinking of giving up boozing for good. I'm not like, an excessive drinker by any means but I just can't deal with the effects of it anymore. Had to stop drinking IPAs because they had me in bed for 2 days with hangovers, missing work and everything. I probably drink maybe once a week now and never more than like five drinks, but I feel depressed for days after.

Anyway long story short, I think I want to give up. I've done dry months before, and always felt really good about them, but I definitely find it hard to say no in social situations. I'll be 30 next year, and I sort of have it in my head in a stupid arbitrary way that I'd like to stop drinking and smoking by then. Any tips for kicking the habit and sticking to it?

So I'm thinking of giving up boozing for good. I'm not like, an excessive drinker by any means but I just can't deal with the effects of it anymore. Had to stop drinking IPAs because they had me in bed for 2 days with hangovers, missing work and everything. I probably drink maybe once a week now and never more than like five drinks, but I feel depressed for days after.

Anyway long story short, I think I want to give up. I've done dry months before, and always felt really good about them, but I definitely find it hard to say no in social situations. I'll be 30 next year, and I sort of have it in my head in a stupid arbitrary way that I'd like to stop drinking and smoking by then. Any tips for kicking the habit and sticking to it?

Start saving for a house deposit.

I found hangovers were enough of a deterrent for me. As they started getting worse, I started drinking less and I became acutely aware of that fourth drink (which was my tipping point). I didn't give up drinking but I only really have two when I go out or at home, three very occasionally (usually when I'm on holidays when my drinks are well spaced throughout the day). I think my 30th (nearly four years ago) was the last time I had more than that on a night out.

I never get involved in rounds, got more resolute in saying "Nah, I'm grand" when offered another drink, and started drinking nicer (and more expensive beers) which I could slow down and savour. I haven't had a hangover in years now which was my main aim.

I found hangovers were enough of a deterrent for me. As they started getting worse, I started drinking less and I became acutely aware of that fourth drink (which was my tipping point). I didn't give up drinking but I only really have two when I go out or at home, three very occasionally (usually when I'm on holidays when my drinks are well spaced throughout the day). I think my 30th (nearly four years ago) was the last time I had more than that on a night out.

I never get involved in rounds, got more resolute in saying "Nah, I'm grand" when offered another drink, and started drinking nicer (and more expensive beers) which I could slow down and savour. I haven't had a hangover in years now which was my main aim.

Thats not a bad aim at all. I think I'm good at not drinking like 10 pints which I did when I was younger, I'm rarely off 4-5 but I still think even that is just beyond my limit. Really i think 2 is a perfect number for me because I enjoy it more, and I never get to the point of being just drunk enough to think more pints are a great idea. 3 is like, the kiss of death for me. Once I have 3 pints I'm like, YEP sure gwan I'll drink another 3.

You'd want to be watching the ol' twitching in the stomach alright

Fair play

It's great that we decide to look out for our health

I just wish we hadn't all waited til we were old and/or fat to do it

I'm always amazed at people who either don't have that cautious voice in their head or can ignore the voice saying "this is not good. you shouldn't be doing this" I see some blokes, 45+ massive stomach on them, drinking, smoking, wolfing down breakfast rolls and they don't give a fuck.
Maybe they're right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back