Staying off the drink (2 Viewers)

This is so spot on from megan Nolan (from a piece on Ray's A Laugh in the FT)

I saw Billingham’s photographs and understood instantly the feeling that needed drawing: it was one of receding surroundings. The alcoholic’s world is slowly reduced from the moment they begin to need alcohol, and it continues to shrink as the need expands. Some alcoholics have the means to at least portray the idea of expansiveness. A wealthy drunk can more easily conceal their need, for a time, by shrouding it in the social frivolities in which drinking is normal and expected. They can go to restaurants and launches and drink beautiful ice-cold martinis. An impoverished drunk, on the other hand, lacks the artifice. They can only afford the units, not the pantomime of justification. In these cases, like that of my family member by the time I was aware of their addiction, the world becomes horribly whittled down to the small space in which they are drinking. I thought of this lately while taking care of a cat who doesn’t go outside. The cat is obsessed with food because food is the only narrative marker in its day. Time, for the alcoholic, is essentially formless except for the way that drink maps it.

This is so spot on from megan Nolan (from a piece on Ray's A Laugh in the FT)

I saw Billingham’s photographs and understood instantly the feeling that needed drawing: it was one of receding surroundings. The alcoholic’s world is slowly reduced from the moment they begin to need alcohol, and it continues to shrink as the need expands. Some alcoholics have the means to at least portray the idea of expansiveness. A wealthy drunk can more easily conceal their need, for a time, by shrouding it in the social frivolities in which drinking is normal and expected. They can go to restaurants and launches and drink beautiful ice-cold martinis. An impoverished drunk, on the other hand, lacks the artifice. They can only afford the units, not the pantomime of justification. In these cases, like that of my family member by the time I was aware of their addiction, the world becomes horribly whittled down to the small space in which they are drinking. I thought of this lately while taking care of a cat who doesn’t go outside. The cat is obsessed with food because food is the only narrative marker in its day. Time, for the alcoholic, is essentially formless except for the way that drink maps it.

What, no pics?

If you've known true alcoholism in your family or friends or your own life, none of these photos will be particularly shocking

1712091294894.png

1712091310564.png

1712091327778.png

1712091350306.png

1712091367139.png

There's only a few people I know whose lives haven't been affected by addiction
Yeah, that's the thing thY struck me reading about the reaction to the book
People were all sorts of shocked
When really it's such a common thing

Yeah, that's the thing thY struck me reading about the reaction to the book
People were all sorts of shocked
When really it's such a common thing

Sad but true.
And Addiction is ratcheted up a notch when there's fuck all services and/or access to services.
Self-medicating is way too popular

Have John Healy's The Grass Arena in the 'to read' pile. anyone read it? Supposed to be excellent. Autobiography of a chronic alcoholic who has hit rock bottom on the streets of London in 60s/70s.

Sad but true.
And Addiction is ratcheted up a notch when there's fuck all services and/or access to services.
Self-medicating is way too popular
That’s becoming a massive issue with young people. Difficult to get assessments so they self medicate.
CAMHS have a massive backlog and don’t deal with dual diagnosis which makes things worse.
The fact that a significant amount of kids in Oberstown get their first assessment/diagnosis there is all kids of fucked up.

I've never been a big drinker; I only socially drank a bit because friends did and it sucks to be completely sober around drunk people. Back in the states I was always the designated driver but I'd have them call me when they needed to be picked up. After the pub, I'm even less inclined to drink because I have watched so many people make complete fools of themselves, become raging assholes, become creepy and worse taken care of people who couldn't take care of themselves. It's depressing.

Since January 1st I've had maybe five beers and a couple of bottles of wine. I mostly did it as a dry January that just kept going and it's felt good so why not keep it going (with the odd break). I just avoid having booze in the house, and only have the odd pint in a pub. And generally the only time I'll be in a pub these days is if I'm at a gig so that's fine.

WHY DO I HAVE NO FRIENDS

I've never been a big drinker; I only socially drank a bit because friends did and it sucks to be completely sober around drunk people. Back in the states I was always the designated driver but I'd have them call me when they needed to be picked up. After the pub, I'm even less inclined to drink because I have watched so many people make complete fools of themselves, become raging assholes, become creepy and worse taken care of people who couldn't take care of themselves. It's depressing.
You're a delightful boozer
Hair-trigger bullshit sensor
Brilliant company

Non alcohlic stuff is playing a bigger and bigger role in my life, i hate saying it but guinness zero/similars are doing a lot for my social life.

Mostly because it's kinda the last booze company i would normally like to fund.

Non alcohlic stuff is playing a bigger and bigger role in my life, i hate saying it but guinness zero/similars are doing a lot for my social life.

Mostly because it's kinda the last booze company i would normally like to fund.
There's almost nothing in modern life that doesn't come with some ethical bargain we have to make

This doesn't seem like the worst of them
If you have friends willing to see you, money to buy poison-free pints, then you are in a good spot, brother

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back