Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS IT MAY CONTAIN] (2 Viewers)

yeah he's perfect in it

cmere was that james corden getting blown up in an xwing at the start or is that just wishful thinking?

"Porg Mo Thoin!" Classic T-Shirt by Peannlui | Redbubble
ra,classic_tee,x2000,fafafa:ca443f4786,front-c,200,112,1000,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

I finally saw this last night and it was a bit of a damp squib. Brought my stepdad to it (my mam hates fantasy, sci-fi, and horror so I try and bail him out when something good comes out in the cinema) and he fell asleep during it. I was afraid he had died at one point, luckily he gave a big snort and all was right with the world.

The crowd at it last night (screen at the Lighthouse about 1/3 full) laughed maybe once or twice at the "jokes". The humour really fell flat. It felt like a Marvel movie in that regard, quips and one-liners aimed at American teenagers rather than stuff that fits the movie. Battle sequences were fun but more nonsensical than usual, the Jedi training was painful and unfocused, Kylo Ren vacillated between being an interesting character and a cardboard cutout. I don't like what they did to Luke Skywalker, it didn't feel like the same character (even accounting for the years of disillusion and experience) and the thoughts of him pre-emptively killing Kylo Ren because he sensed the darkness in him felt wholly out of place. Also, that dopey Yoda and his thunder magic. Also, also, Admiral Ackbar is just nonchalantly wiped out.

What I really felt they were going for, but then chickened out of, was Kylo Ren realising that he wasn't going to be part of the Dark side but that Rei would flip from the Light. I think that would have made for a more interesting dynamic but instead we got the standard sci-fi plot.

Anyway, I'd rate this higher than the prequels because although it was meandering and sloppy, it wasn't actually offensive. I'd put it on a par with Rogue One (which was a good story trapped inside a film that wasn't up to telling it) but well below the original trilogy and The Force Awakens. As @MacDara points out in his review, the first 45 minutes of TFA is genuinely great but I think I was more tolerant of the nostalgia/Disney rollercoaster ride that the rest of the film developed into than he was.

is that the first time she's ever been shown actively using the auld force?
Apparently there was a sequence in the original script that explained that she took up Jedi training after Return of the Jedi but abandoned it once she had Kylo Ren. I don't know if they shot footage for it (the original cut is apparently 30-40 minutes longer!) but it seemed like a pretty essential thing to leave out given that the whole Leia in space bit was less a surprising twist and more of a headscratcher.

PRINCESS LEIA DOESN'T DIE!
My gut feeling is that the next film will be set a few years from now, giving time for Kylo Ren to cement his position as leader of the First Order and for Rei to fully become a Jedi (or whatever). Plus the Resistance now has to go from a dozen people to thousands (and the kid with the Force who helped Rose and Finn probably indicates a whole new order of Jedi is on the horizon).

cmere was that james corden getting blown up in an xwing at the start or is that just wishful thinking?
I thought that too (and rolled my eyes at it) but the internet says no.

The crowd at it last night (screen at the Lighthouse about 1/3 full) laughed maybe once or twice at the "jokes". The humour really fell flat. It felt like a Marvel movie in that regard, quips and one-liners aimed at American teenagers rather than stuff that fits the movie..

Well put

I found it difficult to be able to watch it without thinking "what am I going to tell people I think of this film".
I thought it was, and it really put me in bad form for the next 10 minutes.

Overall, thought it was weak.

i'm looking forward to seeing it again. going to hit up the new recliner seat cinema in blanch over THE CHRISTMAS with the kids

DCHnKWJXkAAXJxO.jpg

This is your typical VIP cinema in Mexico.
Most malls have a few of these screens as well as the normal type.
Price for one of these is about a fiver a seat.
And they take you popcorn order and bring it to your seat.

However:
You have to put up with the constant talking - there is absolutely no cinema etiquette in Mexico - and constant light pollution - and for the first few minutes guys with trays of popcorn crossing in front of you.

DCHnKWJXkAAXJxO.jpg

This is your typical VIP cinema in Mexico.
Most malls have a few of these screens as well as the normal type.
Price for one of these is about a fiver a seat.
And they take you popcorn order and bring it to your seat.

However:
You have to put up with the constant talking - there is absolutely no cinema etiquette in Mexico - and constant light pollution - and for the first few minutes guys with trays of popcorn crossing in front of you.
Fuck that. I saw - but didn’t have time to visit - a VIP cinema in Singapore with couches for seats. COUCHES!

Is it just me or is cinema etiquette getting worse and worse? Maybe it’s me getting older and grumpier. I can’t stand going to the cinema these day for cunts talking. Even the indie cinemas where you’d expect patrons to be a little bit more respectful, you get the same shit.

Is it just me or is cinema etiquette getting worse and worse? Maybe it’s me getting older and grumpier. I can’t stand going to the cinema these day for cunts talking. Even the indie cinemas where you’d expect patrons to be a little bit more respectful, you get the same shit.

it's not just you.

Parents with kids getting bored and checking their phone is the new norm I have seen.

Conversely, the older I get the less it bothers me. Same as talkers at gigs. Don't really care anymore when previously I would be getting very upset.

My post isn't clear there, it's the parents getting bored and checking their phones, not their rotten kids. This was Paddington 2 and The Last Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back