Stagger Lee/Queen Kong this Thurs, LadyFlash CLub, Kennedys!! (1 Viewer)

Dromed

Website
Visit site
'LADYFLASH' RE-LAUNCH PARTY
KENNEDY'S UNDERGROUND
THURSDAY 28TH FEBRUARY 2008

Featuring live sets from
QUEEN KONG (Single Launch Party)
+
STAGGER LEE
+
DJ set from SINÉAD NÍ MHÓRDHA
(Phantom 105.2/Chicks On Decks)
Doors: 10pm

Kindly sponsored by Sol
Ladyflash re-launches its highly acclaimed club on Thursday February 28th. This sees the club re-locate from the Button Factory to the popular, award-nominated venue Kennedy's Underground. Now operating on the last Thursday of ever month, Ladyflash will continue to set off the Dublin night scene alight with its mix of great live indie and electro acts and DJ sets from visiting Special Guests as well as a weekly DJ Residency from Phantom 105.2 Presenter/Chicks On Decks DJ – Sinéad Ní Mhórdha.

Hell-raisers Queen Kong are a mix between Siouxie and The Banshees and Blondie with elements of synthesizer wizards Kraftwerk thrown in for good measure. The band have played high profile support slots for bands such as all-American band The Like and indie act Good Shoes. Another momentous occasion in the life of Queen Kong is that they were once joined by infamous bass-player Krist Noveselic of Nirvana for a jam!
The band have been creating a stir amongst the media with the likes of UK music mag NME stating them as the 'Kings and Queens of the Irish music scene'.
Queen Kong launch their new single 'So Brand New' at the Ladyflash re-launch party.

Stagger Lee play music with grit and grease, that makes you feel sleazy. They want to put sweat and blood and tears back into rock and roll and to celebrate the truth and honesty and poetic justice of the blues. Their sound embodies the spirit of Robert Johnson's Devil-at-the-crossroads and Mavis Staples sultry gospel cry combined with the energy and attitude of The Stooges, The Cramps and Siouxsie Sioux. Highlights to date have included appearances with The Kills, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, The Duke Spirit, Sleater-Kinney, The Grates, The Long Blondes and Pink Grease in the notorious White Trash club in Berlin .

"The debauched blues of Stagger Lee recalls the explosive aggression of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion" - NME

"...Stagger Lee don't belong in a quagmire of underachieving rock 'n' roll bands; their superior, oppressive redolence of jealousy, longing, loss and lust puts a yawning chasm between them and the deathly average" – In Dublin

www.myspace.com/staggerleeband

Sinéad Ní Mhórdha presents 'Phantom Anthems' on Dublin's alternative Phantom 105.2. She also presents 'Carousel' on Phantom - a daily feature covering events within the world of art and culture. In addition to this, Sinéad reviews new alternative bands and albums on RTE2's 'TTV' every Friday at 6pm.

Sinéad cut her teeth djing in the Temple Bar Music Centre in 2001 with all-girl dj trio 'Chicks on Decks'. Following performances at the Bass Festival, Heineken Green Energy Festival and Galway's 110 th Street - the ladies parted company to concentrate on their own separate projects. Sinéad moved on to dj in venues in Dublin such as The Village, the Sugar Club as well as residencies in Whelan's, Carnival and 4 Dame Lane. She also played in clubs in London such as 'Karate Boots' in The Phoenix off Oxford Circus, which included guest djs such as Graham Coxon.

Sinéad's radio career commenced in 2002, when she started her four year stint as a regular guest panellist on the Dave Fanning show. She also presented on FM104 and appeared on BBC London as a News Review panellist.

But her true calling for radio was undeniably with Dublin's Alternative Rock station - Phantom. After initially joining in 2004 for the temporary licences, Sinéad returned to the airwaves on Halloween 2006 to re-join the ranks as Presenter on Phantom 105.2.

Sinéad has been described as: "a music junkie" and that she is one of Phantom's "leading lights" by the Sunday Independent.

The Star have recently declared Sinéad as " Ireland's First Female DJ Superstar".

Enjoy Sol Responsibly
Toons : Indie, Electro, Punk, Rock 'n' Roll - i.e. good toons to dance to!
Date: Thursday 28th February
Venue : Kennedy's Underground, Westland Row
Doors: 10pm
Admission : €7

Upcoming Ladyflash clubs...
March 27th: Betamax Format
April 24th: We Should Be Dead
June 26th: You're Only Massive

* PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FROM THE BUTTON FACTORY TO KENNEDY'S UNDERGROUND!

So, I was at that last night. My friend has just joined Queen Kong. The first song they played was Kraftwerk, The Model. I mean, they're calling it something else, but it is The Model. How do they get away with that?

Yeah I was at this too.
I thought they were alright-didn't notice the Kraftwerk rip-off but wasn't keen on the PJ Harvey and Bowie covers.

Stagger Lee were great. As usual.

You missed the important part of that sentence, "...just joined...". She had nothing to do with the creation of that song. I thought my friend was really good as it happened. I'm not big on the band though.

So, I sense sarcasm. What would be right for me to do? Should I pretend to like the band and lie to my friend? Doesn't seem to me like good behaviour.

So, I sense sarcasm. What would be right for me to do? Should I pretend to like the band and lie to my friend? Doesn't seem to me like good behaviour.

Heh. You're dead right.
The single 'So Brand New' was good though wasn't it?

I liked yer man's 'There Will Be Be Blood' tribute moustache. And yer wan's dress. The bouncer by the jacks couldn't his head 'round that at all.
"Is she wearing a wedding dress?" Shake of the head.

jesus.get out of the 80's will ya,and read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)

jesus.did queen kong just tell YOU to get out of the 1980s crazycatfood?
Anyway das model is from is the 1970s. Also I think crazycatfood should be insulted by being redirected to an article on music sampling, when the stolen bassline in question was performed on a novation synth and was in fact not sampled. Sampling the bassline would have been a valid recontextualisation, even a challenge perhaps, but performing it and alluding to it being your own composition in my view, is not. Anyway seeing as queen kong got all hot and bothered last year over an anonymous cover of one of their tunes I'm surprised that they would dismiss your claim so lightly. Anyway managing to sound more archaic than a band from the 70s is quite a claim queen kong, even when you are plagiarising them.

jesus.did queen kong just tell YOU to get out of the 1980s crazycatfood?
Anyway das model is from is the 1970s. Also I think crazycatfood should be insulted by being redirected to an article on music sampling, when the stolen bassline in question was performed on a novation synth and was in fact not sampled. Sampling the bassline would have been a valid recontextualisation, even a challenge perhaps, but performing it and alluding to it being your own composition in my view, is not. Anyway seeing as queen kong got all hot and bothered last year over an anonymous cover of one of their tunes I'm surprised that they would dismiss your claim so lightly. Anyway managing to sound more archaic than a band from the 70s is quite a claim queen kong, even when you are plagiarising the

haha whata bender

ill think youll find it wasnt played on the synth.

i suppose you have a problem with the excellent stagger lee just cos some of their songs are 12bar blues?

also,your comment about that cover version is hilarious on numerous levels.

ill think youll find it wasnt played on the synth.
It looked very much like it was played on the synth.
And I believe it used to be played on the bass, so there's not really any denying that.

And Shane-o, I must say, your conversation is enlightening.

It looked very much like it was played on the synth.
And I believe it used to be played on the bass, so there's not really any denying that.

And Shane-o, I must say, your conversation is enlightening.
Enlightening on what level? you don't know me, so unless you're a longtime lurker and was under the illusion my posts consisted of anything but glib homophobia you must be pretty disappointed. My bad

super-retard.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back