Stage Nerves (1 Viewer)

Having a well rehearsed band that can play through the fuck ups is a boon

Me and my lot are all about the quick sideways glances of "oops, my mistake..get us out of this please". We usually get away with it.

The only time I would say I was uneasy was when we had a singer who was too fond of drinking and would inevitably forget the words and make a show of us.

The last gig I played with him he said he wouldn't drink until after the show. About 10 minutes before we started he grabbed a naggin of vodka and downed the lot..and preceded to make a show of us.

if you're good, you don't get nervous

photo.jpg

The last show i was nervous for was a pretty big festival show. One band i play with has an 'A' band and a 'B' band. 'A' does nearly all the shows and the 'B' does the shows where some/all of 'A' are double booked. The way it worked out I ended up playing with the B as my first show in front of 2-300 people without ever having met or rehearsed with any of them. That was nerve racking to put it mildly. Outside that I don't have any problems with stage, i like the energy it gives you and love watching what music can do to a room full of people.

My first shows as a lead singer were a bit scary i suppose.

I had one pretty big show about a decade ago where i broke the top two strings on the bass within the first song and had to finish out the 45 mins on two strings, that was somewhere between nervous and buzzing on working out everything about 1/2 a bar before it happened.

I pretty much never drink before a show and practice everything a lot so not a lot can go wrong.

I get nervous as heck, I dunno. I even was nervous getting up playing with my daughter at her flute recital. Too much nerves is crap, takes away from the gig, which then goes by in 2 seconds, or seems to. Generally though it enhances your enjoyment of the whole thing.

I don't get nervous. I'm confident in my ability to pretend mistakes aren't mistakes. I've done shows with people I've never played with before. Fuck something up, do it again, until it becomes the motif.

I hate waiting around to go on though. I like to be in the zone. Small talk is out of the question. Fuck off everyone. Once I'm on stage, I'm a ray of fucking sunshine, though.

I get nervous going into shops I've never been in before though.

I find that bands often want to stop when they fuck up in the practice room. WRONG!!!!!!! keep going like it's a gig.
And at a gig,if you really must stop,go straight to the next song.
I have often stopped a tune on stage if I don't think its up to scratch and start it again.

Usually accompanied by some choice words about the standard of musicians I have to deal with.

Its an old trick..but a good one.Gets peoples attention

And the song always kicks arse after.Its all win

You need to have lads who have faith in yer showbiz skills though.Its never personal.
Just part of the act

And the crowd deserves nothing short of the best you have.Its a privelage to be playing for them.

I have often stopped a tune on stage if I don't think its up to scratch and start it again.

Usually accompanied by some choice words about the standard of musicians I have to deal with.

Its an old trick..but a good one.Gets peoples attention

And the song always kicks arse after.Its all win

You need to have lads who have faith in yer showbiz skills though.Its never personal.
Just part of the act

And the crowd deserves nothing short of the best you have.Its a privelage to be playing for them.

Can't agree with that at all,most of the audience won't have noticed,all you would be doing is bringing the fact you suck to the audiences attention.

Can't agree with that at all,most of the audience won't have noticed,all you would be doing is bringing the fact you suck to the audiences attention.

Different strokes for different folks.

You prolly wouldnt get in yer nip halfway through either..but sometimes that can be just what the show needs to elevate it outta the mundane

So you are saying until you are in the nip your show is mundane?
Not at all.

I'm saying try your best to entertain the good people of rock land

whatever it takes..bar pulling a GG.

no need for that!

I just used the nip reference as an example

we're just having a chat here right?

Or is everything uttered subject to forensic analysis?

In that case you may call CSI..cause I am all about just having a yap

I'm not writing my will

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back