Stage Nerves (1 Viewer)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
Years back, I was playing a show with a new band. Brand new songs and completely unprepared. I was getting all my gear ready to go on stage and I decided to leg it. Except I didn't. For a second though I caught the eye of a band member and he told me (after the show) that he knew I was considering legging it and that if I did, he was going to leg it too.

We didn't though and as we ploughed through our short set of unfinished tunes I knew that the right decision would have been to run. Inspired by "the music's shit" scene in Frank, what are your favourite stories of on-stage nerves.

Good thread topic!

My first gig was a solo effort 10 years ago in a, really quite busy, spirit store. it was only 15-20 minutes worth. Second song in I forgot the second verse and stopped dead. That was a real, well... fuck, moment. During the first song I realised that i'd never played guitar without looking at the frets before either.

After some discussion with the audience over what we were going to do I just decided to leave it out. Everyone seemed happy.

My last gig must be going on 2 years ago. The audience was mostly made up of pensioners, i got drunk and played a cover of pulp's underware. I remember thinking it went well.

I don't get nervous. I just play guitar so as long as everything is plugged in and I have a full set of strings it's grand.

I played with my back to the audience once but only because the sound was fucking terrible.

Everyone focuses on the singer so I don't give a shit. I can't imagine having to interact with the audience like singers do.

I've never really played with bands, but I've sang on stage a fair bit and acted and so on, and I have the absolute worst stage fright. I actually did stand up comedy once, to try and battle the nerves, and I ended up looking like a deadpan psychopath because I was staring and trying to control my voice so much.

I believe it all comes from being 5 and playing a daisy in a pantomime and wetting myself on stage.

Never had a problem with nerves before going on stage. We would always throw a half-finished idea into the setlist and wing that one for a bit of danger. Usually worked out well.

I did get a bad case of nerves the first time I did a show for Trinity FM, I had managed to convince Nina Hynes to do a live slot and I was woefully and pitifully unprepared. No questions prepared, no background info gathered and pure panic when we went live. Nina had asked for some apple juice and I spilled it on the console. I felt like such a gom. Still do.

I used to get very nervous. Rubbish at chatting before gigs to the point to seeming like a dick. All that changed during the Hot Colossus days where I'd be chatting away even while putting the guitar on, next thing you know we're playing. Total luxury.
I have a feeling that things might revert...

I haven't played live since I was a teenager

THANK GOD.

I definitely get more nervous at a party where you're expected to play some acoustic bare your soul nonsense though.

I've never really played with bands, but I've sang on stage a fair bit and acted and so on, and I have the absolute worst stage fright. I actually did stand up comedy once, to try and battle the nerves, and I ended up looking like a deadpan psychopath because I was staring and trying to control my voice so much.

I believe it all comes from being 5 and playing a daisy in a pantomime and wetting myself on stage.

The idea of acting is the scariest thing of all time for me. I'd sooner be plonked in front of an instrument I can't play in an orchestra and attempt to busk along than act.

Ya either have to be so well prepared you can do the act backwards or not give a fuck.

That the only two ways I know of beating stage nerves.

Knowing the material inside out brings all the confidence.

Failing that a few cans and a wreckless disregard for anything bar having fun.

Thats what I did at the Thumped party and it worked out great!

Yeah I've always struggled with nerves even though I've been singing or performing in front of people most of my life. I remember the fear before my audition for the choir as a 10 yr old in front of the local priest and the choir-master (when I was determined to sing Whitney Houston but bottled it and did Little Donkey instead) and it's the same fear I get even now.

Definitely considered legging it once or twice. Once, reasonably recently, I was replacing someone in a band and they were right there in the front row. And I wanted to mention that before the first song but sort of spoke and took a swig of beer at the same time and it all foamed up in my mouth. It's the reason I smoke pretty much, I never need a cigarette like I do before and after a gig.

I remember the fear before my audition for the choir as a 10 yr old in front of the local priest and the choir-master (when I was determined to sing Whitney Houston but bottled it and did Little Donkey instead) and it's the same fear I get even now.

nawwwwwwwww ;_;

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back