Spotify...its grand and all (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 442
  • Views 30K
  • Watchers 12
Am probably ditching my €18 Spotify family account and going with the €28.95 bundle of Apple Music, TV, 2TB iCloud storage, and something called “Apple Fitness”(?) but we’ll see.

i'm already paying them €10 a month for 2TB storage and €5 a month for apple tv

oh and i left out apple arcade from that list

Mare the switch to Tidal.
Feels edgy
its not something you want to do in a hurry but I thought it was fun. it asks to select stuff you like, then it throws other stuff at you that you might like, and I do like loads of it. And I'd forgotten about most of it.

So far, so good. I can get all the podcasts I liked on Acast. And you can import spotify playlsits into Tidal, so really theres nothing lost by switching. Cost is the same too.

Joanna Newsom is on Tidal too. I would have switched years ago, had I known.

Can I point out that banning/deplatforming Joe Rogan won't fix anything since it's him that's popular, not Spotify? Spotify is bad because the streaming model is bad, moving to another streaming service won't fix that and Joe Rogan will be just as popular as he was before.

This is just everyone being dragged into the never-ending US Republican vs. Democrat culture war where they kill each other over two parties with almost identical policies.

Can I point out that banning/deplatforming Joe Rogan won't fix anything since it's him that's popular, not Spotify? Spotify is bad because the streaming model is bad, moving to another streaming service won't fix that and Joe Rogan will be just as popular as he was before.

This is just everyone being dragged into the never-ending US Republican vs. Democrat culture war where they kill each other over two parties with almost identical policies.

Of course you can.
But it's like the last straw that breaks the crazy horse's back.
Was just that little extra push Some lazy people like myself needed.

As I posted on Twitter, Neil Young Archives has all the artists you need: Neil Young, Crazy Horse, The Shocking Pinks, The Ducks, The Stray Gators, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield, The Bluetones*, The Restless, etc.

*no, not those Bluetones.

Spotify is bad because the streaming model is bad
Whatever you dislike about Spotify is the exact same on every other streaming platform (unless what you hate is specifically Joe Rogan). If Spotify distributed 100% of their gross revenue to artists instead of 70% then their average payout per stream would be 0.057 US cents instead of 0.04. Your favourite obscure band is going to fail to make a living one way or the other

This Neil Young thing, IMO, is just the theatre of very rich people squabbling over money

(edit: sorry @Lili Marlene the "you" in this is not you yourself - I'm agreeing with you and addressing Spotify-haters)

Whatever you dislike about Spotify is the exact same on every other streaming platform (unless what you hate is specifically Joe Rogan). If Spotify distributed 100% of their gross revenue to artists instead of 70% then their average payout per stream would be 0.057 US cents instead of 0.04. Your favourite obscure band is going to fail to make a living one way or the other

This Neil Young thing, IMO, is just the theatre of very rich people squabbling over money

(edit: sorry @Lili Marlene the "you" in this is not you yourself - I'm agreeing with you and addressing Spotify-haters)
You're missing a zero there, spotify currently pay between 0.003 and 0.005

so, 50,000 streams at 0.003 gets the artist circa $0.15

50,000 streams at 0.057 is $2,850

Moderately successful band like King Gizzard, their most popular tune has 30m listens (which is fairly extraordinary). Royalty rate of 0.057 would have gotten them 1.7m, just for one tune. Obviously the royalty rate will never, ever approach anything like that, but even .01 would have earned just that one song 300k.

But on the actual royalty rate of 0.003 they've earned 90k.

The rest of their most popular streams are 3 or 4 million each, so a .01 rate would get them 35,000 per tune.

Unlikely to happen, but would that kind of money be unreasonable for a band?

Not sure how up to date this is, but it's interesting

Edit: It's from 2018. Be curious to see an update. One sight said Facebook and Peloton pay the best at 6c and 3c respectively, but htf do you stream music on Facebook?

1643626079893.png

I have misplaced a zero, but I was talking about cents rather than dollars, so my numbers are worse than they should be rather than better ...

But what I'm getting at is if Spotify paid 100% of their revenue (instead of 70%) to licence holders, then licence holder revenues would go up by around 40%. King Gizzard would get €126k for their most popular tune rather than €90k. 36 grand is a lot of money, but that's only 6 grand each extra for their most popular tune ever. That's not going to keep them in business

Streaming companies just aren't charging enough to pay licence holders (never mind artists) the kind of money people think they ought to pay them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back