Soup ideas (1 Viewer)

Well I have some puy lentils, some homemade stock and very little money. Any suggestions what I should make?

with your very little money, acquire an onion, some parsley, some garlic and a few streaky rashers. fry up the chopped onion/parsley/garlic/bacon. add lentils and stock. cook til lentils are tender. a squeeze of lemon and a bit of mint is nice at this point but not essential. if you are feeling v fancy, stir in some spinach to wilt. devour.

I made a lovely one with beans (the left overs from a pack of dried abck eyed or haricot beans I had cooked off a couple of days before) , stock, garlic & onion. Blended the whole lot and then poached a couple of sausages in this.

It was yummy

Substantial, garlicky and with big chunks of sausage.

Sounds gorgeous

Your gorgeous.

Or do a lentil curry stew type thing. Buy a courgette, onion, garlic, carrot & red pepper. Chop em, fry em all up with your lentils, add a tbsp of curry powder, your stock and tin of tomatoes. Simmer till your lentils and veg are lovely. Add fresh coriander & lemon if you have some in the pantry. Eat with good bread.

Well I have some puy lentils, some homemade stock and very little money. Any suggestions what I should make?

onion, garlic, carrots, tinned tomatoes and Indian-y spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric - or if you don't have these already in your kitchen, just get some garam masala as it combines a bunch of different spices. And is also very nice when added to baked beans, another staple of the Very Little Money diet.

my current soup strategy is to blend up leftover vegetables with cooking water from spuds and add a load of soy sauce and some herbs or spices

makes great soup and it's a new type every time depending on what leftovers are sitting around

Sounds good. I'm less is more on soy sauce. I make lots of meat stock and freeze it, so I usually use that as a base.

I'm getting into the habit of using a dollop of this Sriracha every now and then
sriracha.jpeg

been going through plenty of oyster sauce here - put it in stews, soups, stir-frys, marinades, etc. - adds umami to anything without being overbearing.

would love to put actual oysters in my beef stew but it runs counter to my frugal bent.

I had a bottle of "sriracha" I got in the Chinese shop a while back.
I bought a bottle of the real stuff - ie the apparently totally in-authentic doesn't exist in Thailand that's made in America that's pictured above.
There was no comparison.
The one from the Chinese shop was a horrible mess - it went in the bin immediately after.

Apparently the factory where Sriracha is made stinks and there's been a lot of complaints from locals -it got so bad that the company was being courted with tax incentives from Texas to re-locate from California.

Chop and fry an onion.
Add it to a big boiling pot of water along with some
chopped potatoes
chopped celery
a stock pot.
Leave to boil/simmer for about 30 minutes.

Blend it up if you don't dig solids.

Optional: garlic/carrots.

I had a bottle of "sriracha" I got in the Chinese shop a while back.
I bought a bottle of the real stuff - ie the apparently totally in-authentic doesn't exist in Thailand that's made in America that's pictured above.
There was no comparison.
The one from the Chinese shop was a horrible mess - it went in the bin immediately after.

Apparently the factory where Sriracha is made stinks and there's been a lot of complaints from locals -it got so bad that the company was being courted with tax incentives from Texas to re-locate from California.

Yeah, it's great

I have it at breakfast sometimes

Chop and fry an onion.
Add it to a big boiling pot of water along with some
chopped potatoes
chopped celery
a stock pot.
Leave to boil/simmer for about 30 minutes.

Blend it up if you don't dig solids.

Optional: garlic/carrots.

"serve with mouldy bread"

seriously though, that's just one level above cabbage water.

I've found that the trick for any veg soup is to gently fry an onion or leeks in some butter first and always add enough stock cubes for the amount of water you're putting in, don't stint on them. A bit of milk in the final blend is essential as well. Always throw at least one potato in to give the soup a good texture.

Broccoli soup is my current fave. Hugh Fernley Whittingshit also has a great recipe for Parnsip and Ginger soup - it's totally minter.

@Scientician 0.8 i'm being a bit harsh - you're 40% of the way towards a minestrone. leave out the spud, add a sliced courgette, carrots, some green beans, red pepper, broccoli (any three of those, even), borlotti or cannellini beans and tinned tomatoes. add pasta for the final 10 minutes. if you make a large batch, it'll keep for a couple of days or freeze it (before the pasta stage - add it at the re-heat). serve with chopped parsley, parmesan and crutons. proper meal. (we put chorizo in ours too)

@Scientician 0.8 i'm being a bit harsh - you're 40% of the way towards a minestrone. leave out the spud, add a sliced courgette, carrots, some green beans, red pepper, broccoli (any three of those, even), borlotti or cannellini beans and tinned tomatoes. add pasta for the final 10 minutes. if you make a large batch, it'll keep for a couple of days or freeze it (before the pasta stage - add it at the re-heat). serve with chopped parsley, parmesan and crutons. proper meal. (we put chorizo in ours too)

Or I could make the soup I like. It's ok we can like different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back