Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994) (1 Viewer)

Just has a listen to about half of it. When Chris Cornell refrains from the wailing it's way better, like in Fell On Black Days. The riffs were better than I remembered. The main riff in spoonman is great but the song itself is naff. The Day I Tried To Live has a huge riff, not into the singing though. Even Superunknown has a cool riff in the chorus and that song never did anything for me.

Just has a listen to about half of it. When Chris Cornell refrains from the wailing it's way better, like in Fell On Black Days. The riffs were better than I remembered. The main riff in spoonman is great but the song itself is naff. The Day I Tried To Live has a huge riff, not into the singing though. Even Superunknown has a cool riff in the chorus and that song never did anything for me.

It's all about the riffs for me. There's a lot of shite I listened to back in my teens when I was getting into heavy music, but this is one of the few that still passes muster.

there was never any need for this record to be over an hour long. always found them to be a bit of a drag but im gonna dive back in and check out the riffs.

Listening now, wish I had a proper music playing device. Youtube on the laptop just doesn't have the same kick. Good album though, I don't think I've ever listened to it the whole way through.
Love the halting guitar piece in Superunknown.
Looking forward to The Day I Tried To Live, I remember that being a standout track for me.

I pretty much ignored this entire genre back then

to the detriment of my team's chances in the Phantom music quiz in the sugar club a few years ago (apols to @george mcfly , @Jill Hives and @Squiggle)

Well up for giving it a go now though. It can't be as terrible as I imagined it might be back then.

What was the name of that Supergroup formed with lads from these and some other band (RATM?, QOTS?). Dismissed them before listening to them too.

I enjoyed the first half. more than i remembered.
gonna take a break now and treat it like two albums.

bands went mad there when 70 minute cds came out.

From my list. I expect nobody to listen to black hole sun. its the worst cut on the album and doesnt reveal any of the goodness of superunkown. Louder than love was their first major label cut. they went overboard on the guitars. everything has 5/6 guitar tracks on it. badmotorfinger they stripped it back and were playing more or less as a 3 piece with just bits from cornell live. This is where they refined their guitar game.

Its a very 'green' album. The lads were smoking loads of the shit. From what i read Chris was a thundering alcoholic on the road and then they'd downtime in the studio. Its not just the usual psychedelic trick of playing low bass repetitions and throwing melody on top. more they were using zeppelin and punk ideas in downtuning to play beatles based things. Notably the 'Hater' Album was recorded in the spare rehearsal room while this was being made, which they basically lied to the label to do. Its the bassist and drummer from SG and if you like the rhythm stuff going on here its worth a listen. same crew on a different vibe.

I got into this on tape so i'd say for sure, doing side a / side b approach is the way to go. She likes surprises wasn't on the original version, or was one of those annoying wind-forward CD things, so culling that and black hole sun might be the way to go.

Thinks i like are:

Mammoth riffs which stray from generic rock A, B Cs a bit. (mailman, limo wreck)
Savage guitar solos / sounds from thayil (superunkown, mailman, all of them both those two are wonderful, and not mixed in an in your face 80s/70s way)
Drums making unplayable time signatures all sound like 4/4
cornell lyrically just going to the dark place, fucking staying there and getting poetic in it.
4 songwriters finding some kind of common language.
The middle 8's - especially fresh tendrils.

Oh - also, I saw 'spoonman is naff'
yes,yes it is.

the riff was written for the 'singles' soundtrack as a standalone scene wipe thing. they basically got told to write a song with the riff so they used it as an excuse to give the local busker lad a gig.

You are right, its naff. The solo is class though like.

edit:

holy fuck, 'singles'. probably can live without revisiting that.

I loved this album as a longhaired awkward teen

I think it would be amazing – maybe as an art project of some kind – to create a version of this album with no singing. because soundgarden were basically an amazing math-rock band built on a sabbath/zeppelin foundation, and it was just unfortunate that chris cornell, as a singer, was always a preening eejit with terrible sub-doors lyrics that just ruin everything.

Also, was anyone else here at the sunstroke 95 gig in the RDS with soundgarden, white zombie, and some other chancers? (mudhoney were meant to play but they cancelled). I remember white zombie being waaaay better than soundgarden.

Just checked – I still have my 7-inch picture-disk copy of The Day I Tried To Live single. Bought, I think, in the virgin megastore that was on the south quays...

Also, was anyone else here at the sunstroke 95 gig in the RDS with soundgarden, white zombie, and some other chancers? (mudhoney were meant to play but they cancelled). I remember white zombie being waaaay better than soundgarden.

I wanted to go but my mam wouldn't let me. TAD were scheduled for that one too but someone told me they cancelled, I think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back