Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994) (2 Viewers)

I wanted to go but my mam wouldn't let me. TAD were scheduled for that one too but someone told me they cancelled, I think?

And in fairness, Soundgarden has a bad live reputation then anyway. A school friend who was there said they were shite. I made up for it when they played here a couple of years ago, though; that was a great gig.

I was at that RDS gig. I thought soundgarden were good. Especially when they were playing stuff like Limo Wreck. I saw then at Reading that year too, they weren't great.
I have loads of 7" picture discs from that era. I saw them as some sort of future collectable bullshit. I've a good few SG ones, L7, Metallica, Living Colour etc

I loved this album as a longhaired awkward teen

I think it would be amazing – maybe as an art project of some kind – to create a version of this album with no singing. because soundgarden were basically an amazing math-rock band built on a sabbath/zeppelin foundation, and it was just unfortunate that chris cornell, as a singer, was always a preening eejit with terrible sub-doors lyrics that just ruin everything.

Totally agree. Was listening to it again this morning and enjoying the riffs and non 4/4 time signatures but yer man's singing is super-annoying.

I
Also, was anyone else here at the sunstroke 95 gig in the RDS with soundgarden, white zombie, and some other chancers? (mudhoney were meant to play but they cancelled). I remember white zombie being waaaay better than soundgarden.

I've never been as disappointed by a gig. I was so excited about seeing them on that tour and it was like they were at the end of a really long tour and they were wrecked. White Zombie stole the show that's how bad they were.

I know it’s from the previous album, but this video is the most nineties-sports-grunge thing ever made. Smell the puketosterone

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like Soundgarden, but the us my least favourite album of theirs. Some songs have aged quite well - Fresh Tendrils, Like Suicide and the Ben Shepards songs especially. Don't like the sound of this record though. Drums are too loud and overall it's quite hash. Spoonman is just terrible. The albums either side of this one are far better.

Weird thing about Chris Cornell is that despite being this weird pinup figure appearing in mens health and posting shitty self-help quotes on his instagram he's way more talented than anyone will give him credit for. If you listen to some of his demos to Soundgarden tracks he's already written most of the solos and riffs Kim Thayl plays, note for note. I think he's actually really underrated.

Anyway, this album goes on forever and ever and ever and ever. I like when Soundgarden do their beatle-esque psych stuff, no interest in Sabbath riff songs.

Now lets all laugh at that time he used Twitter to beg Nile Rodgers for a free guitar:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just can't bring myself to listen to this.

Weird, I loved Nirvana but disliked pretty much every other so called grunge band. Even with Nirvana, I'm beginning to think it was just Kurt Cobain that held my interest - his lyrics, his diverse musical influences, his feminist sensibilities, his hated of Axl Rose.

I will give it a go, but all I'm expecting is mid-tempo slightly grating dourness. Could be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe they were just the only one who were any good? Along with Mudhoney. And Melvins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back