Sound engineer upstairs in Whelan's. (1 Viewer)

adamus

Is anyone familiar with him? I'm not sure how long he's been there or what his name is. He looks a bit like Morrisey and is just as unpleasant. He was very insulting and impatient the last time we played there and he kind of ruined the night for me and I wasn't the only one complaining either. He was working last saturday night too for anyone who was up there. We've a gig up there again soon and it looks like we'll be stuck with him as Whelan's are refusing to let us supply our own engineer.
Thoughts?

During sound check on Saturday we had less than a 10 second conversation on what song to play before he shouted at us that we weren't at practice. He seemed to refuse to soundcheck Bridges of Madison County and he was talking to all of us as if we were kids. Total prick, the sound was good though.

Is anyone familiar with him? I'm not sure how long he's been there or what his name is. He looks a bit like Morrisey and is just as unpleasant. He was very insulting and impatient the last time we played there and he kind of ruined the night for me and I wasn't the only one complaining either. He was working last saturday night too for anyone who was up there. We've a gig up there again soon and it looks like we'll be stuck with him as Whelan's are refusing to let us supply our own engineer.
Thoughts?

his name is Noel. The Bridges Of Madison County lads were quite unhappy with his unpleasantness on Saturday at the Quarter Inch 'My Black Ass #1' night.
and they wont let you hire @Hefty Horse ; even though they are familiar with letting him on previous occasions? get someone else. refuse to settle for him. also, write a strongly worded email / letter. i think the BOMC lads might anyway.. washingcattle; ?

During sound check on Saturday we had less than a 10 second conversation on what song to play before he shouted at us that we weren't at practice. He seemed to refuse to soundcheck Bridges of Madison County and he was talking to all of us as if we were kids. Total prick, the sound was good though.

it seems he has a tendency to give out about something then disappears when he's needed and returns for the start of the gig glassy-eyed and almost completly impossble to deal with.

Jaded, world-weary live sound engineer in prickish to bands shocker.

Yeah, really though.
Tell Whelans you're bringing your own dude.
Phone them if possible. Say that their dude can be there too if he wants.
I bet they let Hansard bring his own engineer.

his name is Noel. The Bridges Of Madison County lads were quite unhappy with his unpleasantness on Saturday at the Quarter Inch 'My Black Ass #1' night.

Indeed we were.

This is what happened: we arrived for soundcheck just as the band before us were finishing their soundcheck and clearing up their gear. It was close to 9 o' clock at this stage and doors weren't opening for over an hour and half. We set up, but one of our members wasn't there yet, but he was literally two minutes away so we were waiting for him.

Sound engineer comes up to us and says "what the fuck is the story lads, are ye all here?", in a visibly grumpy tone, so we told him we were waiting on one person. He starts giving out, saying it's total bullshit and that he's been there since six soundchecking bands (aka, doing his job). There had really only been about a 10/15 minute delay since the last band had soundchecked, which I really didn't think was too bad, seeing as it would have taken us close to that to set up all our gear anyway. I said sorry, and my bandmate Paul said "sorry, we're trying our best, we can't make him magically appear", in a fairly reasonable tone. Sound engineer immediately gets really aggressive and bizarrely, starts accusing us of being aggressive. He then storms off, yelling "ye're on at 10.30 lads, see ye then". So no soundcheck for the lads.

It's actually amazing that this dude keeps his job - everyone I spoke to about it that night had a story about him being a prick. And like the OP, it actually really put a downer on the night for me.

I've worked with Noel before. A cantankerous prick. And he has tinitus apparently, and doesn't like to engineer full/loud bands. Not a bad sound engineer at all though, just crap to deal with.

Complain, simple as. I assume you paid for the room, so you're paying him. You wouldn't let anyone else you pay money to act like this, why should this behaviour get an exception.

It was actually amazing. I've been playing gigs for around 9 years and have dealt with countless sourfaced sound engineers, but saturday night was the worst experience I've ever had. So bad in fact, that this is the first time I've ever been compelled to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back