Songwriting (1 Viewer)

6a00d83451c45669e2014e5fae77a6970c-550wi

that song that you wrote for the craic one night, and then your 8 months into making the album album, youve stuck it in the middle of the demos by complete laziness, and every person who hears the record, forgets the shit you slaved over and goes 'oh, thats amazing that is' - 'oh, that?? thats just a demo' - 'really?? all your other songs are shit, but that is good'.

so how does one do that every time, eh?

that song that you wrote for the craic one night, and then your 8 months into making the album album, youve stuck it in the middle of the demos by complete laziness, and every person who hears the record, forgets the shit you slaved over and goes 'oh, thats amazing that is' - 'oh, that?? thats just a demo' - 'really?? all your other songs are shit, but that is good'.

so how does one do that every time, eh?

Now that is a good question.

suppose it's down to how you hear it as 'punter', the less produced/pre-concieved songs always catch my ear, as a generalism songs written off the cuff just have more realism/accessability to the person, than tight catchy riffs, couplets and hooks

suppose it's down to how you hear it as 'punter', the less produced/pre-concieved songs always catch my ear, as a generalism songs written off the cuff just have more realism/accessability to the person, than tight catchy riffs, couplets and hooks

What if ones songs have all these things?

sorry that was a bit pithy, i suppose it's all a bit apples and oranges, but simply but as a general rule songs with all the trimmings and arranged etc just don't resonate with me that much. But then again there are many exceptions. I suppose it depends on what we mean with our terminology.

Am I mixing up the idea of composition versus production?

Most of my songs are scraped from the bottom of the lyrical barrel.No cliche is safe these days.

On writing (well, producing) Kiss by Prince:

"We did a bunch of songs for Mazarati's album,” David Z recalls. "Then, when we needed a single, Prince gave me this demo of him just playing straight chords on an acoustic guitar — one verse and one chorus — while singing in a normal pitch; not the falsetto that's on the finished record. To us, it sounded like a folk song and we were wondering what we could do with it. No way was it funky. Anyway, starting with a LinnDrum, I programmed the beat and began experimenting. Taking a hi-hat from the drum machine, I ran it through a delay unit and switched between input and output and in the middle. That created a very funky rhythm. Then I took an acoustic guitar, played these open chords and gated that to the hi-hat trigger. The result was a really unique rhythm that was unbelievably funky but also impossible to actually play... I'm sure that sound influenced the fabulous new Daft Punk song 'Get Lucky', because it uses the same trick, with the guitar gated to some sort of rhythm and sequencer.

"Next, I remembered a little piano part from a Bo Diddley song called 'Say Man' and put it on there, and then Tony Christian sang the lead part, an octave lower than what Prince wound up doing. The background vocals I adapted from the Brenda Lee song 'Sweet Nothings' — good music is always taken from somewhere else — and that was that. The whole thing was done in a day."

Or David Z and the guys in Mazarati thought it was. The fact is, in this form 'Kiss' sounded OK — a so-so dance number. However, Tony Christian's lead vocal was a little soulless and uninspiring, and when Prince heard the track he decided to head in a different direction... with himself at the helm.

"When I came back into the studio the next morning, Prince had already taken it off the machine, replaced the vocal with his own falsetto performance — which, I guess, he felt it needed — got rid of the bass part and added a James Brown 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag' guitar lick,” Z recalls. "'What happened?' I asked, to which he replied, 'It's too good for you guys. I'm taking it back.'”

Boasting a four-octave range, Prince sang virtually the entire song in head voice, reverting to chest voice for the final line, as well as a single note before the last chorus. "At the time, I think he was into using a [Sennheiser MD] 441,” says Z.

"We only used nine tracks for that song, including a bass drum on one track, the rest of the drums on another and the hi-hat on a separate track. As for the lack of bass guitar, we always ran the kick drum through an [AMS] RMX16 and put it on the Reverse 2 setting to extend the tail of the reverb. That served as a kick drum and a bass, and it was a signature sound that we used all the time with Prince. We didn't need a real bass. And there was no reverb on anything else; just the kick. The guitar was dry and gated, and everything else sounded kind of different to the corporate rock that was on the radio at that time.”

Mazarati's backing vocals ended up on the finished record, yet this was scant compensation for what they had hoped would be their breakout hit.

"They were pissed,” says Z. "Prince had promised everyone a share of the songwriting credit, but that never happened and they were kind of mad about it.”

So, you have half an idea, just add Papa's Gotta Brand New Bag + Say Man + Sweet Nothings + technology and you will end up with a song as good as Kiss. You're welcome.

That post was not for you.

But since you're here, Prince is amazing. So there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back