Songs that you forgot you loved... (1 Viewer)

Saw them in Queens student union some time in the 90s. I was never much into the records but they were great live especially playing to an audience that hadnt a clue.

I dont think too many people knew they were playing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My Kimono - Polvo. Same album.

I had the record. Pretty sure i gave it away,hahaha!!!!!!!!

I didnt forget I loved this..but I never saw the video before!

The fucking MOVES on Michael Jackson in this ..I feel better after watching it

Such wicked bass lines.

Anyway that brought me on to this. I remember forcing my parents to watch the premier of this on TOTP way back when, the full 9 and and a half minute version. I also forced them to watch the 30 minute premier of Black or White some years later.

I remembered the cool suit and the Astronaut Lean. I forgot that he murders someone in Looney Toons style early on. And it presages the cat-on-a-piano meme by about three decades.

the 100th video shown on MTV, apparently

John Peel was mad for Polvo back then along with Superchunk and the other NC bands.
I bought their first album Cor Crane Secret (1992) on CD and listened to it a lot but my tastes were changing and when Today's Active Lifestyles came out (summer 93) I didn't hold to it for long and can't remember any of those songs.
They were one those bands that thought vocals weren't too essential.

Couldn't be bothered buying music like this now but it's still good.
Never forgot them over the years several songs off their first LP surface in my head regularly so they certainly had an impact on me.

"The channel changer is sitting on the stereo, I pick it up I turn on our favourite show, I promise not watch us if you promise not to go-oo-ooo-oo''

Cor Crane Secret is the only vinyl full-length I have of theirs. It's pretty full-on. Often played it at ear-bleeding volume.

The guitars on this Peel session. Oof.

Also this. Strong case for no more post-hardcore after this... not even Jawbox, Tar, or Q and Not U. Just wrap it up, game over. This is exactly what they were like at Primavera. Absolute road warriors. [Edit: you talk about the subdued vocals but the similar but more conspicuously "intellectual" and earnest e.g less fun and less rocking, The Shipping News at the same festival... don't know if the guy Jeff Mueller was pulling a Jake the Snake Roberts on the audience but you couldn't make out a word he was saying. Weakest live singer I've came across.]

Ash Bowie probably stole the whole whispery, resonant vocal thing from Sooyoung Park who was really the master of it down pat as exemplified on 'Road to Madrid' by Seam.

Re: Chapel Hill. Archers of Loaf had their moments and had a similar prickly guitar tone. Archers of Loaf's secret weapon was the goosebump-inducing forty Major a day, red raw, earnest vocals. If Arcwelder had been on Merge, they'd be legends.

But Polvo came back with totally new music - unlike a lot of their 90s cohorts - and they seemed to evolve into the world's first acceptable math-jam band.

Saw them in Queens student union some time in the 90s. I was never much into the records but they were great live especially playing to an audience that hadnt a clue.

I dont think too many people knew they were playing.
Absolutely a live band. They are both simultaneously a cult band and cruelly overlooked. They are just balls out rock at the end of the day like Mission of Burma - sheer unhinged joy. A friend once described them as a rock band trapped in a post-rock guise.

Mad about the crowd...

Last edited:
Cor Crane Secret is the only vinyl full-length I have of theirs. It's pretty full-on. Often played it at ear-bleeding volume.

The guitars on this Peel session. Oof.

Also this. Strong case for no more post-hardcore after this... not even Jawbox, Tar, or Q and Not U. Just wrap it up, game over. This is exactly what they were like at Primavera. Absolute road warriors. [Edit: you talk about the subdued vocals but the similar but more conspicuously "intellectual" and earnest e.g less fun and less rocking, The Shipping News at the same festival... don't know if the guy Jeff Mueller was pulling a Jake the Snake Roberts on the audience but you couldn't make out a word he was saying. Weakest live singer I've came across.]

Ash Bowie probably stole the whole whispery, resonant vocal thing from Sooyoung Park who was really the master of it down pat as exemplified on 'Road to Madrid' by Seam.

Re: Chapel Hill. Archers of Loaf had their moments and had a similar prickly guitar tone. Archers of Loaf's secret weapon was the goosebump-inducing forty Major a day, red raw, earnest vocals. If Arcwelder had been on Merge, they'd be legends.

But Polvo came back with totally new music - unlike a lot of their 90s cohorts - and they seemed to evolve into the world's first acceptable math-jam band.

Absolutely a live band. They are both simultaneously a cult band and cruelly overlooked. They are just balls out rock at the end of the day like Mission of Burma - sheer unhinged joy. A friend once described them as a rock band trapped in a post-rock guise.

Mad about the crowd...

Remember listening to that Polvo session on Peel.
He was always playing North Carolina bands at the time.

I had some EP's Merge released about 92/93 and inc Polvo / Erectus Monotone split and they don't seem to be worth anything.
I think my friend still has those 7''s.

Reminds me of some black metal albums that could easily gotten in the Sound Cellar at the time being worth that kind of money (Varg's activities were getting huge publicity and loads of people were checking out Mayhem, Osmose records etc)
i.e. already seemed well known and not underground anymore

That's mental because there are currently two vinyl copies on discogs - one priced at £100, and the other at $179. Both are only classified as Very Good Plus.
Luckily I only owned the first two Polvo albums on CD!
The original art work on Today's Active Lifestyles was different to later presses.
They hadn't got permission from whoever they appropriated it from.

Moving on from the britpop landfill thread, aged about 14 I was embarrassed that I enjoyed something as cheesy as this, now it just sounds like a good jangle-pop song that every songwriter in Ireland would be delighted to write.

This popped up over the weekend. I remember it on the radio back in the day

The drummer did the vocals on Tight Fit's "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

Lol Mason (beard) had a hit "Heartache Avenue" with his band Maisonettes

The guitar player Mike Slamer is amazing. He did the lead guitar on the first two Warrant LPs among other stuff.

If you like ELO and Queen type of stuff they're worth checking out

Really good pop tune this. Cool production.

Last edited:

hadn't seen the full 17 minute one before

Such wicked bass lines.

Anyway that brought me on to this. I remember forcing my parents to watch the premier of this on TOTP way back when, the full 9 and and a half minute version. I also forced them to watch the 30 minute premier of Black or White some years later.
Pivotal moment in my childhood, the entire family sat around the tv and watched the premiere on TOTP. My parents liked the song and visual effects but tutted about the nonsense afterwards as MJ turned into a Puma and trashed a car and all that. "Why's he grabbing himself like that??"

I mean, they weren't wrong, but god, what a different world it was.

This song, which to my mind is "recent" is over ten years old

Yeah thats mad. I love that song. I prefer this one though by her

Last edited:
Should have been a huge hit (also...#songs that sound like other songs thread)

TEN YEARS FFS

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back