soft machine (1 Viewer)

yes. yes i do. got some best of/collection cd. haven't listened to it for ages actually. kevin ayers solo stuff is pretty brilliant also.

i never really got into SM - too many organ solos and endless jazzy prog jamming that gets a bit tiresome... same with matching mole although they have some deadly tunes too. robert wyatt is amazing of course.

there was - here. its closed now though. have you got the cd or vinyl nothing can stop us? "ship building" and "memories of you" are on the vinyl edition which makes it a bit better i think, although the Stalingrad poem isnt on it. I love "at last i am free" - one of his best tunes.

i got some of the 7inches on ebay - theyre quite cheap and cool. the shipbuilding one has a lovely foldout sleeve.

there was - here. its closed now though. have you got the cd or vinyl nothing can stop us? "ship building" and "memories of you" are on the vinyl edition which makes it a bit better i think, although the Stalingrad poem isnt on it. I love "at last i am free" - one of his best tunes.

i got some of the 7inches on ebay - theyre quite cheap and cool. the shipbuilding one has a lovely foldout sleeve.

Nothing Can Stop Us - have it on CD,

Shipbuilding and Memories Of You - are they on the vinyl as well as the other 10 tracks?

I have both of them in the EPs box which is a nice release.

i never really got into SM - too many organ solos and endless jazzy prog jamming that gets a bit tiresome... same with matching mole although they have some deadly tunes too. robert wyatt is amazing of course.

get 1&2 none of that on there

Listening to Soft Machine 1 - what an unbelievable album! Savage drumming, whacked out organ, vocal at turns laconic and summoned from the depths of the soul. Absolute class. A certain kind - One of the greatest songs ever written!

I've only heard 1&2. Played a bit of 2 on the radio last sunday... I do love a good rendition of the alphabet.

can anyone recommend vol 3?

i've had 1 and 2 sitting on the shelf for about a decade now. i pull them out now and then and give them a try. they certainly have their great moments, but equally they have other moments that i'm really not into. googling it, some people seem to rate vol 3 highest, so i'm wondering if i should give them one more chance. on today's listen i'm more into vol 2, if that helps...

My faves are Third Fourth and Fifth but I like them all . Bundles has Allan Holdsworth on it so thats great

i've had 1 and 2 sitting on the shelf for about a decade now. i pull them out now and then and give them a try. they certainly have their great moments, but equally they have other moments that i'm really not into.
exactly the same, and was only yesterday thinking of spinning 2 after about a decade to see if it lands. Will report back....

when this thread started I think the first two Soft Machine albums (prior to reissue in 2009)
were out of print for years in the UK.

their early records really let them down - a bit flat sounding.
there's some amazing footage of them about 1967 or so on a Dutch TV show
called Hoopla (sic ?) the same episode also features Zappa and The Mothers
with the programme also being the first time Dutch TV showed a nude woman.
these are from Dutch broadcast:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

also 1967 w/ Kevin. French TV maybe ?

I also have 4 and 5 one one CD which is fine but nothing to worry Miles Davis.
whatever happened to Mike Ratledge ?

Last edited:
when this thread started I think the first two Soft Machine albums (prior to reissue in 2009)
were out of print for years in the UK.

their early records really let them down - a bit flat sounding.
there's some amazing footage of them about 1967 or so on a Dutch TV show
called Hoopla (sic ?) the same episode also features Zappa and The Mothers
with the programme also being the first time Dutch TV showed a nude woman.
these are from Dutch broadcast:

also 1967 w/ Kevin. French TV maybe ?

I also have 4 and 5 one one CD which is fine but nothing to worry Miles Davis.
whatever happened to Mike Ratledge ?

Thats a moot point . Comparing Soft Machine to Miles Davis is absurd. While I obviously acknowledge Miles' worldwide influence on absolutely everybody, Soft Machine ,alongside Jazz are drawing on a distinctly different somehow more European aesthetic. More in line with 20th Century Classical and Music Concrete and other arty farty Stockhausenesque notions. And cannabis I'd imagine.
Not to mention the absolutely whitecentric irregular time signatures they employ to great effect! Again, I'm sure if you go rummaging you'll find Miles probably did that first too, Well maybe Herbie Hancock.

Soft Machine are fucking amazing..rocking at times, skronky at others but never less than interesting. At least up until about the time when the entire band changed personel.

I love original Robert Wyatt era Soft Machine but I prefer the later band by a long margin.

This is my favorite Robert Wyatt song incidentally

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back