Social Democrats (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
Another new party, The Social Democrats - Openness, Equality, Progress

Seems like an odd grouping, the name implies a sort of centre leftish stance but I'm a bit wary of Stephen Donnolly, a smart capable guy but I wouldn't necessarily think of him as being all that left wing, plus he's the type of dude that wears a "this is what a feminist looks like" t-shirt. Politically I associate him with Shane Ross.

Then there's Rosin Shortall who's ... dissident labour yeah?

Notionally I suppose they currently have my vote as Catherine Murphy is involved and she's who I usually vote for and I'm pleased with her performance as a TD. But we'll see where it goes WRT policy. Do like the fact that they're explicitly for repealing the 8th, though personally I feel equally as bullish about repealing the 27th (that's the racist one) and no one seems to want to touch that.

Isn't Murphy dissident labour too? Albeit a longer time than Shortall.
They'll need to get the finger out anyway, an election will be along within 6/7 months and I haven't heard of any more potential candidates.
Murphy raised the issue of judical appointments recently, its about time someone did. The seperation of powers is rather undermined by the government of the day appointing judges, I'm not sure how else it could be done though, perhaps nominations from within the law society itself?
Tangentially- isn't calling the 27th a racist referendum somewhat over-egging the pudding? Discriminatory maybe but there's not a single state (to my mind anyway) that doesnt discriminate when it comes to issuing citizenship. Also, given the overwhelming majority that passed it to call it racist would suggest that just short of half the then electorate are racist, not an idea I'd give much credence to.

Isn't Murphy dissident labour too? Albeit a longer time than Shortall.
They'll need to get the finger out anyway, an election will be along within 6/7 months and I haven't heard of any more potential candidates.
Murphy raised the issue of judical appointments recently, its about time someone did. The seperation of powers is rather undermined by the government of the day appointing judges, I'm not sure how else it could be done though, perhaps nominations from within the law society itself?
Tangentially- isn't calling the 27th a racist referendum somewhat over-egging the pudding? Discriminatory maybe but there's not a single state (to my mind anyway) that doesnt discriminate when it comes to issuing citizenship. Also, given the overwhelming majority that passed it to call it racist would suggest that just short of half the then electorate are racist, not an idea I'd give much credence to.

The whole of the Americas grant birthright citizenship, I'd consider a constitutional amendment which came about as a response to scaremongering over black people having anchor babies to be pretty racist.

I don't begrudge the right of citizenship to the children and grandchildren of emigrants but it's absurd that they get it and people who were born here and lived all their life aren't.

Its essentially only the Americas that does so though, at the time of the referendum we were the only EU state to do so.
Maybe there was an element of scaremongering but when the idea of such a referendum was first mooted (2003) there were 10, 000 plus applicants for jus soli citizenship, given our history up till that point as an emigrant rather than immigrant nation I don't think it unfair to suggest there was some people chancing their arm. Also, the act served to tighten our constitution following the GFA a few years previously which, for the first time, gave automatic citizenship to all those born on the island, the intent was of course that our northern brethren could claim Irish citizenship if they so wished. The rising economic tide and ensuing inflow wasn't foreseen then, if it had been I think it safe to say that that passage would have been worded rather differently.
For what its worth I would also begrudge citizenship to anyone more than one generation removed but I guess the aforementioned history of emigration makes that a non-starter.

Also, given the overwhelming majority that passed it to call it racist would suggest that just short of half the then electorate are racist, not an idea I'd give much credence to.

I would. If it had been an observed phenomenon amongst white American or European immigrants I sincerely doubt the amendment would have had the support it had.

We've granted 60, 000 plus citizenships since 2011, the vast majority of which (93%) were to non-EU applicants. In 2013 Nigerians, Indians, Filipinos and Pakistanis (or if you'd rather, obviously non-white people) accounted for 60% of that number. All of this with barely a murmur of dissent from 'the locals'? Hardly behaviour indicative of a racist electorate.

We've granted 60, 000 plus citizenships since 2011, the vast majority of which (93%) were to non-EU applicants. In 2013 Nigerians, Indians, Filipinos and Pakistanis (or if you'd rather, obviously non-white people) accounted for 60% of that number. All of this with barely a murmur of dissent from 'the locals'? Hardly behaviour indicative of a racist electorate.

Ireland is probably less racist* than it was in 2004 but if you had another referendum about non-EU citizenship or what not, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority voted in more stringent rules.

*Mixed partnerships between Irish and non-EU non-Irish seem to be far more common now than they were even 10 years ago.

Ireland is probably less racist* than it was in 2004 but if you had another referendum about non-EU citizenship or what not, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority voted in more stringent rules.

The people of Naas re-elected their racist mayor, I know plenty of people who said he was dead right too.

*Mixed partnerships between Irish and non-EU non-Irish seem to be far more common now than they were even 10 years ago.

Had a Taiwanese gf in 2005, early adopter.

Attitudes on immigration harden since crash, poll suggests

sure we love the immigrants, only 53% of us think the rules should be tighter.

Recessions generally see a rise in anti-foreign sentiment, we're hardly unique in that. Also, buried halfway down the article it says that the 53% figure is a decrease on the earlier (2008) poll.

Yeah, you could well be right, again though I'd imagine its as a result of the recession rather than any innate racism on behalf of the Irish people.

The people of Naas re-elected their racist mayor, I know plenty of people who said he was dead right too.

Had a Taiwanese gf in 2005, early adopter.

I was only dating Americans back then. Maybe I am racist.

Recessions generally see a rise in anti-foreign sentiment, we're hardly unique in that. Also, buried halfway down the article it says that the 53% figure is a decrease on the earlier (2008) poll.

53% is a fucking horrendous number, we are a country of racists.

Not really though, sure we love everyone as long as they bring money into the economy.

Some of our best friends are black

Paul%20McGrath.jpg

philiplynottmain.jpg

Barack-Obama-drinks-Guinn-007.jpg

53% is a fucking horrendous number, we are a country of racists.
Aren't we a race of racists?

You always get pushback when you have any significant immigration, particularly with no history of it.

Is there some nation of white people that welcomes large amounts of foreigns with open arms?
They'd be in the minority, you'd have to think.

Aren't we a race of racists?

You always get pushback when you have any significant immigration, particularly with no history of it.

Is there some nation of white people that welcomes large amounts of foreigns with open arms?
They'd be in the minority, you'd have to think.
Oh I was kidding, hence my follow up post. Sure the entire west is (often literally) built on institutionalised racism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back