So this is pretty terrifying... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 75
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 2

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The weapon, called "the Liberator" — a homage to cheap pistols distributed by the Allies in France during World War II — is printed on a Stratasys Dimension SST 3D printer. It consists of 16 parts, 15 of which are 3D-printed. The last part — the firing pin — is a simple nail, found in any hardware store.

Wilson is the founder of the company behind the project, Defense Distributed. He claims the project is not about violence, but about freedom. “This is about enabling individuals to create their own sovereign space," he told Forbes.

“I recognize that this tool might be used to harm people. That’s what it is — it’s a gun. But I don’t think that’s a reason to not put it out there. I think that liberty in the end is a better interest,” he said.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/06/3d-printed-gun-fired-on-video/

The guy that runs Defense Distributed, Cody Wilson, seems like an idiot. He describes himself as a crypto-anarchist... which is an offshoot of anarcho-capitalism.. which is a round about way of describing yourself as a complete tool.

There's parental control on a TV and your web browser.

There's a child lock on pill bottles

And these fucking half wits manage to build a gun which can be loaded and shot by a child at will without parental supervision or control.

Where's the casual anti american thread ? I need to let off some steam.

There's parental control on a TV and your web browser.

There's a child lock on pill bottles

And these fucking half wits manage to build a gun which can be loaded and shot by a child at will without parental supervision or control.

Where's the casual anti american thread ? I need to let off some steam.

I didn't watch the whole thing but I'm guessing the lock under the barrel is supposed to be... locked?

On a side note, this looks crap, but i assume that they'll be able to model them for sustain and all the rest with a computer and then you can get the plans off torrents..

guitar1.jpg

That's the thing though, as it stands, with a bit of knowledge and some manual abilities people can build guns out of hardware store parts, not to mention other nefarious things like bombs etc. They don't in the US for the most part because it's easier just to buy guns. I'm not sure what the big deal is about a 3D printed gun. Said gun cost $8000+ and how much time yet more reliably lethal weapons are available in almost every strip mall in the US. There's also the fact that in order to not contravene US law you have to have a permit to make the gun and it has to include elements that make it visible on security equipment. I mean I don't want to be shot by a photocopied gun but there's a bit of hysteria around this guy's attention seeking. The lad seems to be a walking embodiment of the old adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

That's the thing though, as it stands, with a bit of knowledge and some manual abilities people can build guns out of hardware store parts, not to mention other nefarious things like bombs etc. They don't in the US for the most part because it's easier just to buy guns. I'm not sure what the big deal is about a 3D printed gun. Said gun cost $8000+ and how much time yet more reliably lethal weapons are available in almost every strip mall in the US. There's also the fact that in order to not contravene US law you have to have a permit to make the gun and it has to include elements that make it visible on security equipment. I mean I don't want to be shot by a photocopied gun but there's a bit of hysteria around this guy's attention seeking. The lad seems to be a walking embodiment of the old adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
You're right, but the wider point is that it will eventually be cheaper and easier to download a gun, practically free in fact, and totally anonymous. I was in the Makerbot shop in Manhattan and it's aimed at kids.

Yeah but you could buy a crap guitar body made from wood rather than plastic instead...

you missed the point pretty spectacularly there.

Anyways - 3D printers. This gun thing is indeed scary, but what about practical stuff. its kinda amazing. its just perfect for the open source world.

I.e.
Kids toys
kitchen plastics
things that break, so long as you can figure out the shape of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back