Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (1971) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 71
  • Views 12K
  • Watchers 3
But here, go back and listen to Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle' and tell me you can't make a funk face and bop your head along with it.
/me concedes

Kinda. It's very fucking loose though innit? It's like only the backing vocalists were actually listening to the drum machine, or maybe everyone else was just too baked to stay in the pocket

I love this album but haven't listened to it in I don't know how long. In spite of all the chat about it I haven't really felt the urge until earlier today. My daughter was looking at my record shelf and turned around and said to me: "Sly and the Family Stone? Is that, like, really the name of a band?"

Went back to this after not listening to it since I did my write-up of it in this thread. I meant to go and buy the LP but forgot. Or had no money. Or something. It's still deadly and the version on Apple Music now has bonus tracks which were deadly (single versions and instrumentals). I'm now listening to a Bootsy Collins album and will probably go further down this rabbit hole as the afternoon turns into evening.

Went back to this after not listening to it since I did my write-up of it in this thread. I meant to go and buy the LP but forgot. Or had no money. Or something. It's still deadly and the version on Apple Music now has bonus tracks which were deadly (single versions and instrumentals). I'm now listening to a Bootsy Collins album and will probably go further down this rabbit hole as the afternoon turns into evening.
First Funkadelic album now.

@Negative Lili Any recommendations in the vein of these albums? Albums that sound like the wrong side of midnight and you don't know where your feet are and the air reeks of sweat and banging. That kind of thing.

But, eh, aside from pastiches and rip-offs like that Childish Gambino album or stuff that actually falls into the p-funk universe not really. It's probably for the best considering how many casualties there were from that band.

It seems obvious but do you know your James Brown? There's a great comp of his Bootsy and Catfish era stuff called Funk Power 1970 that doesn't sound like Funkadelic but sure does reek of sweat and banging and a bit of madness.

and because it's me here's probably the closest Prince ever got to early Funkadelic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's also the psychedelic soul era of the Temptations which is heavier than people would expect

but not Funkadelic heavy

Will get on those, I’ve only really skimmed the surface of Funkadelic but one of my favourite Funkadelic songs is a repurposed Temptations song (Fish, Chips and Sweat).

Oh well the first Parliament album -Osmium - is the same players as early Funkadelic and mostly the same style if you haven't heard that one yet? Very strong, if eccentric, album imho

if anything it's a bit more insane

my favourite ever p-funk offshoot track though:

Last edited:
Oh well the first Parliament album -Osmium - is the same players as early Funkadelic and mostly the same style if you haven't heard that one yet? Very strong, if eccentric, album imho

That's a great album. Love it

my favourite ever p-funk offshoot track though:

Listening to that Parliament album now, “Little Ole Country Boy” has taken me by surprise I must say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back