Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On (1971) (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
But here, go back and listen to Africa Talks to You 'The Asphalt Jungle' and tell me you can't make a funk face and bop your head along with it.
/me concedes

Kinda. It's very fucking loose though innit? It's like only the backing vocalists were actually listening to the drum machine, or maybe everyone else was just too baked to stay in the pocket

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
I love this album but haven't listened to it in I don't know how long. In spite of all the chat about it I haven't really felt the urge until earlier today. My daughter was looking at my record shelf and turned around and said to me: "Sly and the Family Stone? Is that, like, really the name of a band?"

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Went back to this after not listening to it since I did my write-up of it in this thread. I meant to go and buy the LP but forgot. Or had no money. Or something. It's still deadly and the version on Apple Music now has bonus tracks which were deadly (single versions and instrumentals). I'm now listening to a Bootsy Collins album and will probably go further down this rabbit hole as the afternoon turns into evening.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Went back to this after not listening to it since I did my write-up of it in this thread. I meant to go and buy the LP but forgot. Or had no money. Or something. It's still deadly and the version on Apple Music now has bonus tracks which were deadly (single versions and instrumentals). I'm now listening to a Bootsy Collins album and will probably go further down this rabbit hole as the afternoon turns into evening.
First Funkadelic album now.

@Negative Lili Any recommendations in the vein of these albums? Albums that sound like the wrong side of midnight and you don't know where your feet are and the air reeks of sweat and banging. That kind of thing.

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
But, eh, aside from pastiches and rip-offs like that Childish Gambino album or stuff that actually falls into the p-funk universe not really. It's probably for the best considering how many casualties there were from that band.

It seems obvious but do you know your James Brown? There's a great comp of his Bootsy and Catfish era stuff called Funk Power 1970 that doesn't sound like Funkadelic but sure does reek of sweat and banging and a bit of madness.

and because it's me here's probably the closest Prince ever got to early Funkadelic

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Will get on those, I’ve only really skimmed the surface of Funkadelic but one of my favourite Funkadelic songs is a repurposed Temptations song (Fish, Chips and Sweat).

Lili Marlene

FURIOUS
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Oh well the first Parliament album -Osmium - is the same players as early Funkadelic and mostly the same style if you haven't heard that one yet? Very strong, if eccentric, album imho

if anything it's a bit more insane

my favourite ever p-funk offshoot track though:

Last edited:

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
Oh well the first Parliament album -Osmium - is the same players as early Funkadelic and mostly the same style if you haven't heard that one yet? Very strong, if eccentric, album imho

if anything it's a bit more insane

my favourite ever p-funk offshoot track though:

Listening to that Parliament album now, “Little Ole Country Boy” has taken me by surprise I must say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

We're listening to...

• Brain Development Lullabies
    Menuetto from Gallimathias Musicum
    Music Box Orchestra
    Brain Development Lullabies

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads