Slow cooked chicken (1 Viewer)

Bladez

This is the only thing I think I've made thats been worth posting :) You'll need a ceramic pot for it.

Ingredients :

Chicken legs - You can get a pack of 5 for 2.99 in Tescos. Don't use chicken breasts as they go dry in the oven
2 red onions
1 can of tomatos - plain, no herbs added.
Some dried fruit - I used apricots and prunes...but whatever you think.
3 cloves of garlic
Coriander - fresh if you have it.
Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
Chilipowder - 3 teaspoons
Honey - a couple of tablespoons.
1 chopped red pepper

- Grate the onions into a bowl. This brings out the juices.
- Heat some olive oil in the ceramic pot on the hob. Add the grated onions and simmer over a low temperature for about 5 minutes.
- In a pan, fry the chicken in the chilipowder for a couple of minutes until the skin starts to go golden. Do the pieces a couple at a time.
Add the chicken to the pot.
- Add chopped garlic, coriander, pepper and half the can of tomatos to the pan that you cooked the chicken in and heat over a high temperature until bubbling while scraping all the chicken niceness from the base of the pan into the tomatoes.
- Add this mixture to the pot with the rest of the can of tomatoes
- Add a couple of tablespoons of honey
- Add a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon
- Add the dried fruit
- Mix it together and stick it in the oven for a couple of hours on a medium->low temperature until everything goes molten and guey.

Modify ingredients and recipe as you wish. Its difficult to go wrong when you are slow cooking something in the oven.

I accompanied it with some cous-cous and roasted parsnips. It was delicious, easy, cheap and was enough for 3 meals.

This is the only thing I think I've made thats been worth posting :) You'll need a ceramic pot for it.

Ingredients :

Chicken legs - You can get a pack of 5 for 2.99 in Tescos. Don't use chicken breasts as they go dry in the oven
2 red onions
1 can of tomatos - plain, no herbs added.
Some dried fruit - I used apricots and prunes...but whatever you think.
3 cloves of garlic
Coriander - fresh if you have it.
Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
Chilipowder - 3 teaspoons
Honey - a couple of tablespoons.
1 chopped red pepper

- Grate the onions into a bowl. This brings out the juices.
- Heat some olive oil in the ceramic pot on the hob. Add the grated onions and simmer over a low temperature for about 5 minutes.
- In a pan, fry the chicken in the chilipowder for a couple of minutes until the skin starts to go golden. Do the pieces a couple at a time.
Add the chicken to the pot.
- Add chopped garlic, coriander, pepper and half the can of tomatos to the pan that you cooked the chicken in and heat over a high temperature until bubbling while scraping all the chicken niceness from the base of the pan into the tomatoes.
- Add this mixture to the pot with the rest of the can of tomatoes
- Add a couple of tablespoons of honey
- Add a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon
- Add the dried fruit
- Mix it together and stick it in the oven for a couple of hours on a medium->low temperature until everything goes molten and guey.

Modify ingredients and recipe as you wish. Its difficult to go wrong when you are slow cooking something in the oven.

I accompanied it with some cous-cous and roasted parsnips. It was delicious, easy, cheap and was enough for 3 meals.
You're going to have to be a bit more exact when you say "medium-low" my oven is mad temeramental and fan assisted. So are we talking 150 ?

I get the whole cooked chicken out of *chain store* late in the evening after work for about 3eu (evening price). That thing has been cooked for at least a working day.

You're going to have to be a bit more exact when you say "medium-low" my oven is mad temeramental and fan assisted. So are we talking 150 ?
[emoji1] I don't remember posting that recipe. That was 6 years ago. Not sure I can vouch for it anymore.

I'd say the oven temperature I meant was about 150 alright. Maybe turn it up high to get the pot going and then turn it down once it's bubbling.

Not sure about grating the onion first. I think at that point I was just starting taking cooking seriously and was experimenting. Looking at the ingredients it looks quite sweet with the honey, fruit and cinnamon so maybe go easy on the quantities.

Legged it home at lunch, stopping by the grocery. Chicken thighs are 99c/lb; I bought 5 lbs.
Got three rings going and the oven preheating at 275 (130 odd)
One ring had my lunch - some soup from the fridge.
Second had a bag of chicken bones from the freezer which i had in a pot, roasting.
Third had my cast iron french oven on full blast with some chicken grease in it.
Put the kettle on.
Browned the chicken thighs in batches and placed them on a roasting rack.
Put the boiled water on the bones and lowered the heat, let them simmer some.
When the thighs were browned and on the rack, I poured the grease over them and lashed them in the oven.
Poured the bones and water into the french oven and flashed them a bit of heat, to get all the bits and pieces from the bottom and essentially clean it.
Poured out my soup and put the bones into the soup pot.

Will nip back at three and turn everything off.

Place is going to smell like I have chicken fecking candles up in there.

My latest chicken recipe is mad simple.

In a baking tray stick a couple of chicken breasts (you could just cook one, or more than two I suppose)

Season them with some salt or onion salt and a bit of cumin and a dash of soy sauce.

Surround the breasts with whole mushrooms and lots of chopped garlic.

Pour about 250ml of passata over the lot.

Stick in oven at 200 for about 45 minutes.

Grate cheddar or parmesan or whatever cheese you prefer over the concoction and return to oven for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is all melty.

The passata stops the chicken from drying out.

For vegetarians:
This recipe also works with aubergines or those quorn garlic fillets but with the aubergines probably best to slice them up and fry them for a few minutes before putting in baking tray.

My latest chicken recipe is mad simple.

In a baking tray stick a couple of chicken breasts (you could just cook one, or more than two I suppose)

Season them with some salt or onion salt and a bit of cumin and a dash of soy sauce.

Surround the breasts with whole mushrooms and lots of chopped garlic.

Pour about 250ml of passata over the lot.

Stick in oven at 200 for about 45 minutes.

Grate cheddar or parmesan or whatever cheese you prefer over the concoction and return to oven for another 3-5 minutes until cheese is all melty.

The passata stops the chicken from drying out.

For vegetarians:
This recipe also works with aubergines or those quorn garlic fillets but with the aubergines probably best to slice them up and fry them for a few minutes before putting in baking tray.

Are you using chicken breast fillets? Or on the bone?

Have you tried mixing it up with thighs?

Yeah you can fry them. If you want them to cook quickly slice them up into smaller pieces.

Yup, with a sharp knife, you can cut chicken quite easily

Like this lad here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A good method is to put it into a really hot pan, let it get a bit of brown on it, then lower it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back