Slint box set (1 Viewer)

I think Brian Baker was about 15 or so when they started. So depending when they played together,not much older.
In the doc I think they said '84 but that couldn't be accurate - Minor Threat split up the year previous, right? It must have been pretty much their final tour for the ages of the Slint lads to make sense.

Yep, loved it. Amazing that they were playing with Minor Threat when they were 14 yr olds, recording with Albini while still in their teens. Rehearsing 5 days a week on their summer holidays from college. Made me really nostalgic. But also it was just great to see the footage, hear the tunes on those massive big speakers and piece it all together. There really was something in the water in Louisville round then. They kicked it all off I guess.
Yeah I'd no idea they'd started so young; really great stuff. They all seem like really sound people too. Hope they do more.

Just looking at Discogs,and what Slint related stuff I'm familiar with etc (Pretty much the only things I like are Squirrel Bait,and Solution Unknown,who I've only heard a little of),anyway,according to Discogs Slint formed in '86 meaning it must have been pre Slint bands who played with Minor Threat.

Out of curiosity,does Honor Role get a mention? I always thought Slint owed a huge debt to them,especially the first Slint record.

Yes it was pre-Slint bands they were talking about. Can't remember the name if the first one but the second was called Maurice. Good doc all right but I could have done with a bit less banging in about what keraaaaazy! guys Britt and Bryan were. Very impressive though that Britt once managed to gross out David Yow by surreptitiously shitting in his can of coke. Made me want to crank the records again, something I completely forgot to do this morning when I had a chance to.

Yes it was pre-Slint bands they were talking about. Can't remember the name if the first one but the second was called Maurice.

languid & flaccid? they'd a good line in band names - one flyer listed one called 'your food'.

really enjoyed this myself, especially for albini admitting mistakes not once, but twice - firstly on the final mix for tweez and secondly on his initial criticisms of brian paulson's recording of spiderland. (anyone know are the two spiderland cast-offs they mentioned on the box-set?)

would've liked more interview with grubbs, oddly no will oldham. overall, glad the mystique was undermined a bit, instead of being burnished. slint was the first thing i looked up on "the internet" back in 1995 when info was rare.

Just looking at Discogs,and what Slint related stuff I'm familiar with etc (Pretty much the only things I like are Squirrel Bait,and Solution Unknown,who I've only heard a little of),anyway,according to Discogs Slint formed in '86 meaning it must have been pre Slint bands who played with Minor Threat.

Out of curiosity,does Honor Role get a mention? I always thought Slint owed a huge debt to them,especially the first Slint record.
Yeah it was a pre-Slint band. Don't think it was Squirrel Bait coz they're the ones I knew. Might have been Maurice or something even earlier.

No mention of Honor Role as far as I can recall, although they didn't really touch upon influences that much at all. It was more anecdotes about them and a bit about how the songs were written and recorded. Interesting that Britt and Brian wrote most of the songs when I would have always thought of Pajo as the star of the show for years. Also funny the story of how they spent an hour and a half sound-checking for a high-school battle of the bands!

languid & flaccid? they'd a good line in band names - one flyer listed one called 'your food'.

really enjoyed this myself, especially for albini admitting mistakes not once, but twice - firstly on the final mix for tweez and secondly on his initial criticisms of brian paulson's recording of spiderland. (

would've liked more interview with grubbs, oddly no will oldham. overall, glad the mystique was undermined a bit, instead of being burnished. slint was the first thing i looked up on "the internet" back in 1995 when info was rare.
"anyone know are the two spiderland cast-offs they mentioned on the box-set?)"
Were they not the 2 tracks released on that untitled 10" sometime in the noughties??

"anyone know are the two spiderland cast-offs they mentioned on the box-set?)"
Were they not the 2 tracks released on that untitled 10" sometime in the noughties??
Yeah pretty sure they are the 10" tracks alright. Which was released in '94, right? That tune 'Glenn' is a screamer.

They do have a "new" tune that they've been playing at shows, not really up to a whole lot if I remember correctly.

They do have a "new" tune that they've been playing at shows, not really up to a whole lot if I remember correctly.

This is the one, I think:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the 10" wasn't anything to do with spiderland, was an EP they recorded for release after tweez, but they got signed by touch and go and decided to shelve it. touch and go then released it in 1994

the 10" wasn't anything to do with spiderland, was an EP they recorded for release after tweez, but they got signed by touch and go and decided to shelve it. touch and go then released it in 1994
Yep once Tweez was released they already had the tracks in the can and advertised a forthcoming 12" single with the LP. But Spiderland followed on pretty quickly and the two tracks were initially flagged for inclusion. Brian changed his mind, however, and they were left on the shelf another little bit longer.

No mention of Honor Role as far as I can recall, although they didn't really touch upon influences that much at all.

To be honest I never expected it. I just always thought it myself. When I bought Tweez I thought it sounded like Honor Role.

I'm sure I saw the 10" advertised as outtakes. I never heard of it being a standalone record before.

RIGHT!

Just looked it up and according to the Spiderland book....
Ethan Buckler left, hating the production of Tweez, and Todd Brashear joined, and they very slowly worked on two new songs, Pam and Glenn, named for his parents. Steve Albini called to say he had some unused studio time and they could have it rather than let it go to waste. For whatever reason they didn't record Pam until the Spiderland sessions, but recorded Glenn and the Tweez tune with Albini.

SO
Not from the Spiderland sessions.
Different engineer/studio.
Intended to be their second release for Jennifer Hartman records.
Not an outtake.

CASE CLOSED

CLOSE THREAD

it was mentioned by britt in the film (while he was talking up brian's artistic 'instincts') that two tracks were recorded during spiderland but left off at brian's request. tracklist of bonus discs below. disc 2, tracks 4 & 5.

box set is now sold out...

Disc: 2
1. Nosferatu Man (basement practice)
2. Washer (basement practice)
3. Good Morning, Captain (demo)
4. Pam (rough mix, Spiderland outtake)
5. Glenn (Spiderland outtake)
6. Todd's Song (post-Spiderland song in progress)
Disc: 3
1. Brian's Song (post-Spiderland demo)
2. Cortez The Killer (live Chicago 1989)
3. Washer (4 track vocal demo)
4. Nosferatu Man (4 track vocal demo)
5. Pam (4 track vocal demo)
6. Good Morning, Captain (Evanston riff tape)
7. Nosferatu Man (Evanston riff tape)
8. Pam (Evanston riff tape)

yus, but *those* recordings of pam and glenn weren't released, thus they are spiderland outtakes, *but* the 10" ep was a different session with a different purpose, no?

It's not uncommon for bands to re-record singles for LPs, even the Beatles were at it, but it doesn't mean those singles were outtakes.

think the confusion here stems from the fact that original EP recordings were shelved until 3 years after Spiderland came out, and that the songs were re-recorded for Spiderland but *those* versions were never released.

@pete, get an interview, let's sort this for once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back