Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 134
  • Views 17K
  • Watchers 5
So I have listened to it 6 times now (since yesterday), and as I have said earlier I would not be a lover of Metal.

And after the first listen I found it hard work to finish it and exhausting, but after and couple more I started to think this is not too bad and it has kinda grown on me.

The opening track Angel of Death really hits hard and a good opener and the Second track Piece by Piece continues in the same vain.

The next few tracks seem to blend into one another and it dips a little here for me.

Starts to pick up and at Track 7 - Reborn

Tracks 8 & 9 Epidemic and Postmortem are also quite good.

Finishing with Raining Blood this is probably my favourite track (between this and Angel of Death) ends on a high.

The Next 2 tracks are bonus tracks so I didn't listen to them.

It has not converted me to metal but it's not bad at all, will I listen to it again? I'm not sure but there is a guy in the office who talks an awful amount of bollox and it drown him out for the last 2 days so it might come in useful again.

So after the first instalment of the Record club I have listened to something I would not have listened to and I look forward to the next instalment.

no offense to Reign in Blood, but I hope it doesn't come out of the hat for next week too.

I'm on 2 listens. I'll listen once a day (at least) between now and friday. Who knows, I might even end up liking it.

I've listened to it thrice at this stage.

And that is that.I'd say it'll be as long again as the last time before its played

I don't have to listen to this for the club. I've lived with it since the week it was released. I know every riff, every lyric and every drum fill inside out.
As someone who was totally on board with slayer since Hell Awaits I know what pre Reign life was like. It was a frustrating time. You listened to hell awaits but in your mind you heard Reign In Blood production. So when this was released it was a huge relief.
I think Dave Lombardo is the star of this album. His fills are musical. Not in a technical muso way, they are human, innocent and a joy. His into to Alter Of Sacrifice is wonderful.

More later.

The Spiderland of metal,a great record that influenced so much shit.

The thought of Lombardo doing something different with the drums is laughable.The best part of the record is the drums. Especially with that much stamina.

Have to say though,in retrospect,this record was the beginning of the end for metal,for the most part,and I way prefer the two before. Although the Haunting the Chapel 12" was Slayer's absolute peak.

His into to Alter Of Sacrifice is wonderful.

Of course by Alter Of Sacrifice I mean Epidemic. That'll learn me.
ALthough the intro to Alter is brilliant too, I love the bit at 35 seconds in where it is repeated.
Also halfway through the verses in Reborn where Lombardo but his foot on the gas. Check it out at 27 seconds in.

My early teenage band covered Postmortem on our demo. This before we learnt how to tune or play chords of ANY description. We knew that the strings were supposed to sort of go up in pitch. Index finger was placed over all six strings on the one fret. It's sort of brilliant.

Listening again now. Listening to it in isolation is all well and gonne, but one thing I'm missing out on is the context of the record. As in, it was released in 1986. Where was metal in '86? My best mate around then was a metaller but he got into it a few years after that. I have no clue what the metal scene was like in 86 though. Was there other stuff going on at the time that was just like this? Or, was this a pioneering record, of sorts?

I get no sense of time from this album. If I didn't know when the record was released, theres nothing here to suggest (from the style of the album) that its from the 80s. But then thats probably my ignorance of the metal scene.

I was 12 in 1986 and my favourite music was Bryan Adams (Reckless was out around then) and U2. By the age of 14/15 I had discovered Pink Floyd which had somewhat of a knock-on affect of making me more receptive to checking out new music in different genres than those I knew. I kind of wish I'd heard this, and more metal besides, back then.

My metaller mate was feeding me some stuff back then. But it was mostly the really popular, mainstream crossover (as I'd call it) stuff like Metallica, ACDC and Iron Maiden. He kept Slayer to himself. Prick.

First time listener to Slayer/Reign in Blood at the grand oul age of 49!! Jaysis!!
There's some serious shredding goin' on there. On first listen I like Angel of Death, Raining Blood and Criminally Insane (great titles!).
There's not much variety but then maybe that's the point, I don't know. I have no frame of reference for music like this, but will listen again.
A successful warm-up for Thumped Album Club, I'm looking forward the next first instalment!!

I get no sense of time from this album. If I didn't know when the record was released, theres nothing here to suggest (from the style of the album) that its from the 80s. But then thats probably my ignorance of the metal scene.

This album was not a big shock at the time. Thrash was already a thing by '86. What began with Sabbath and Purple eased into Maiden and Priest which eased nicely into Metallica, Venom, Slayer. People were ready for it.
Reign In Blood was quite hyped too, by '86 standards. The bigger thrash bands were getting signed by major labels and it was just a matter of "who was going to get Slayer?".

btw: I've found our cover of Post Mortem. I might post it on Friday.

Slayer seemed much meaner and cooler than the goofiness of Anthrax or the everyman, relative ordinariness of Metallica and other thrash giants of the time. Actually they still do.

As Gary pointed out before, the last two songs on the Spotify stream / cd reissue are bonus tracks and aren't part of the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back