Skippy Dies - Paul Murray, author, reading this Friday (1 Viewer)

wageslave

Hi folks,

Has anyone read ‘Skippy Dies’? I bought a copy when I heard about the author reading taking place but to be honest I got a bit daunted when I realised that it clocks in at 661 pages and I reached for the comics when I was reading over the weekend.

It was a very well received book, earning a place in the shortlist for the Costa Book Awards, the longlist for the Man Booker Prize and a place in the finals for the (U.S.) National book Critics Circle Award. On top of all that it came third in Time magazine’s ‘Top 10 fiction books of 2010".

Come along to the lunchtime reading this Friday in the Central Library, ILAC Centre and you can get the scoop well before Neil Jordan makes his movie adaptation.

You can check out these reviews from the Sunday Times, and the Guardian If you fancy reading an extract you’ll find one here on the publishers blurb page along with an author biography and various published praise for the book.

9780865479432.jpg
Skippy is Daniel "Skippy" Juster, so nicknamed because of his unfortunate resemblance to a certain TV kangaroo. He's a boarder at Seabrook College, an expensive Catholic school in Dublin, and is at that unfortunate age where "suddenly everyone was tall and gangling and talking about drinking and sperm. Walking among them is like ­being in a BO-smelling forest."

Skippy's best friend is the corpulent computer genius Ruprecht, and the novel opens with Ruprecht and Skippy having a doughnut-eating race at Ed's, the local hangout for Seabrook students. To Ruprecht's baffled horror, Skippy collapses off his chair. He isn't choking, but there's nothing Ruprecht can do except watch as Skippy writes "Tell Lori" on the floor in doughnut jam before expiring.

yes, a few of us have (check out the What Book Did You Read Last Night thread). Its a good read. And though its bulky enough, you'll read it quickly. Took me about 3 days.

Impressive! You must have rifled through it! Took me about 2 weeks! Great book though. I've read it twice. Repeat reading offers nice rewards!

Wonder who Neil Jordan will cast in the roles?

Thought this was going to be an obituary for childhood's favourite Kangaroo.

.... he's probably dead a long time though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back