Skipping Tracks (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Great article from Paul Lamere on the use of the skip button. I'm pretty guilty myself - even on playlists I've created myself. I often wonder what this suggests about my perceived love of certain tracks, that I can't see through to the end.

The Skip | Music Machinery

- The likelihood that a song will be skipped within the first five seconds is an astounding 24.14%.
- Nearly one quarter of all song plays are abandoned in the first 5 seconds.
- The likelihood that a song will be skipped within the first thirty seconds rises to 35.05%.
- The chance that a song is skipped before it ends is a whopping 48.6%.

skipping_behavior_by_age.png

I don't skip either.

Never know what song is gonna do it for ya..and anyway...its all just sound..and theres not many sounds I find disagreeable

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Albums with no skips (Off the top of my head)
Murmer
Daydream Nation
Spiderland
Ok Computer
Abbey Road
Surfer Rosa
Remain In Light
Marque Moon

Class albums with at least one skip

Harvest (Man Needs A Made, Neil needs bit of a talking to)
Reckoning (Time after Time, fuck off lads that's waaaaay to long, and boring actually every REM album has one stand out mistake. Personally I can't stand Everybody Hurts either.)
Every Radiohead album after Kid A
Goo ( Sometimes I just can't be bothered with My Friend Goo and Mildred Pierce)
1000 Hurts (Something about New Number Order annoys the fuck out of me)
The White Album (If there's a reason that skip was invented)

Every single album over 1 hour long (except Disintegration by The Cure which should be on the list above)

Every single Double album.

Every Single Hip Hop Album. Especially ones with "skits" on them. Funny the first time and then just irritating as fuck.

Most albums with 1 minute long tracks of the band goofing around in the studio in between real songs. Christ i can't stand that.

Discuss.

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Albums with no skips (Off the top of my head)
Murmer
Daydream Nation
Spiderland
Ok Computer
Abbey Road
Surfer Rosa
Remain In Light
Marque Moon

Class albums with at least one skip

Harvest (Man Needs A Made, Neil needs bit of a talking to)
Reckoning (Time after Time, fuck off lads that's waaaaay to long, and boring actually every REM album has one stand out mistake. Personally I can't stand Everybody Hurts either.)
1000 Hurts (Something about New Number Order annoys the fuck out of me)
The White Album (If there's a reason that skip was invented)

Every single album over 1 hour long (except Disintegration by The Cure which should be on the list above)

Every single Double album.

Every Single Hip Hop Album. Especially ones with "skits" on them. Funny the first time and then just irritating as fuck.

Most albums with 1 minute long tracks of the band goofing around in the studio in between real songs. Christ i can't stand that.

Discuss.
I love Man needs a maid and My freind goo!

they're two great songs

And I would fucking love a maid..Don Draper style

I agrre with yer album length theory..in fact...I don't think an album should be longer than 40mins.Theres very few bands that can keep me interested for longer.

Even live....if ya don't have 90 mins of pure hits..get off after an hour

Albums should be short? I take it neither of you are Morton Feldman fans then?

I understand the whole "when it was a 40 minute album on vinyl it meant that you had to make sure you put all your belters on there and keep the scraps for b-sides" argument but equally there are plenty of long albums that are totally worth it.

Discuss.

I agree strongly with the items quoted above except for two things:

1. Mildred Pierce rules. Easily one of my favourite tracks on the album, and I also love the novelty fact that it's one of their only songs performed in "regular" tuning since their first EP.

2. Hip hop "skits" aren't even funny the first time round. I agree with the rest of the point though. The only "classic" hip hop album I can think of, off the top of my head, that doesn't outstay it's welcome is Black Sunday by Cypress Hill. Tis an acceptable length (TWSS)

What constitutes a double album these days? Is it overall length, track number or just a STATE OF MIND?

sometimes a skip is nothing to do with a track being bad, it's to do with the mood of the listener.
Yeah exactly like I said "sometimes" i can't be bothered with Mildred Pierce or My Friend Goo.

This thread seems to be just people saying "Wait a second Cattle, I like that song"

So let's open it out a bit.

When Radiohead's Hail To The Thief came out I thought it was a bit shit, but then after a few months of really trying to like it and actually liking individual tracks I changed the running order and dropped two tracks it was a much better listen. Anyone else rejig an album that way ?

For the Record i think this was my running order.

Back Drifts

Go To Sleep

The Gloaming

There There

Sit Down Stand Up

Mixamatosis

2+2=5

We Suck Young Blood

Where I end and you begin

Sail To The Moon

A Wolf At The Door

Scatterbrain

Haven't listened to that album in ages though it's pretty much their Be Here Now. Bloated as fuck.

Anyway anyone else ?

I've never heard a radiohead album.Or REM
Try Murmer or Reckoning by REM. Radiohead wise if you've lived in the 90's and never bothered to listen to an album by them then there's probably little to surprise you on any of them. Personally I'd start with Airbag/ How's my Driving ? E.P it's short, to the point and has everything that made The Bends and OK Computer great contained within it. They're two bands I completely understand people not liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back